Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 05-22-2009, 11:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Question Looks like the Tech sections are now becoming sections for shops to push parts ?

I now see Pontiac vendors pushing their products on the board, some just come on not offering help, but just to push their stuff and never offer any help what so ever.

Is this what these boards are for and have become?

Chastize me if you want. Just seems wrong.

Old 05-22-2009, 11:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

hasnt there always been financial interest behind the advice ?

Old 05-22-2009, 11:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Almost every machine shop stroke themselves on these forums, and they are all "the best"...

1968 Lemans. 37,000 original miles. GTO clone. 462ci/KRE 290 heads. UltraDyne 280/288 Solid/850 Qjet by Cliff/Performer RPM/TSP 9.5" in TH400/8.5" 3.42 gears/3950# Race weight/12.58@106 at Bandimere speedway high altitude
Old 05-22-2009, 03:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

i can see the ones that advertise here may have a gripe, but others, nah. is this a tech question?

Old 05-22-2009, 04:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here's the part I never under stood, if you give good tach advice you don't
Have to sell your business. Guys will automaticly come to you. There used
To be a time when you where not allowed free advertising. Only if you had
A great new product.

Old 05-22-2009, 06:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gach
Here's the part I never under stood, if you give good tech advice you don't
Have to sell your business. Guys will automaticly come to you.
This is all too true Lou.

I get guys PM'ing me often enough asking if I'm doing this professionally and wanting some sort of work done,or to buy parts like a cam I mentioned or such,and I gotta tell them that I dont do that sorta thing,sure I give advice freely just to help others tap into my years of experience in this deal,but I'm not here to support any sorta business angle.

Most of the time I end up referring them to one of the trustworthy pontiac builders or parts vendors.

I'm not here selling anything to anyone when I post,I have no labor services to hawk,nor any engine related ventures to advertise,I sell nothing,as I am not in business to do such,I'm not selling anything other than the few odd & ends that end up in the appropriate for sale forums from time to time just like 99% of the other members here.

Right now,I'm pretty much my only & best customer,and I like it that way,no complaints or hassles this way.

In the meantime,check out the cars HERE.

Old 05-22-2009, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PONTIAC DUDE View Post
I now see Pontiac vendors pushing their products on the board, some just come on not offering help, but just to push their stuff and never offer any help what so ever.

Is this what these boards are for and have become?

Chastize me if you want. Just seems wrong.
Ken if they're in the tech forums report them and they won't be there long.

That's not going to fly and you know it.

Mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 05-22-2009, 07:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I dont mind it myself as a person who comes here to learn and occasionally drop my 2cents in, if I do advise a part or service I try to include whatever decent vendors or shops are close to the OPs home.

What I have noticed, Greg/Oink is quick to offer up his services on just about any post and Ken/Dude is thin skinned about being tree'd on the chance to sell a part. Ken/Ace seems to spend more time working but doesnt miss many chances to promote either. That Pbody guy gets a lot of airtime but he's a little more relaxed about self promo. He and Cliff are always in there with advise.

Maybe a vendor/aftermarket parts section like PontiacZone has would be useful for we buyers to ask about parts and vendors and vendor/shops could verify that choice and promote their new items and services?
Or maybe its not needed here? It seems to me anyone should be able to get in some advertising if its written in such a way as too not sound too pushy...

Its all good as far as Im concerned as just an average person enjoying the forums.

Last edited by BVR421; 05-22-2009 at 07:57 PM.
Old 05-22-2009, 07:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by screamingchief View Post
This is all too true Lou.

I get guys PM'ing me often enough asking if I'm doing this professionally and wanting some sort of work done,or to buy parts like a cam I mentioned or such,and I gotta tell them that I dont do that sorta thing,sure I give advice freely just to help others tap into my years of experience in this deal,but I'm not here to support any sorta business angle.

Most of the time I end up referring them to one of the trustworthy pontiac builders or parts vendors.

I'm not here selling anything to anyone when I post,I have no labor services to hawk,nor any engine related ventures to advertise,I sell nothing,as I am not in business to do such,I'm not selling anything other than the few odd & ends that end up in the appropriate for sale forums from time to time just like 99% of the other members here.

Right now,I'm pretty much my only & best customer,and I like it that way,no complaints or hassles this way.

I really enjoy reading your post..you give excellent tech advise, I can see why they
ask you if you build or do motor related service. You give allot of detail information
very good information...my opinion your one of the best contributer's on all the boards and we have allot of good people who are generally out to help others.

If they where smart their phone would ring more offen, people can tell who knows
what their doing by the answers they give.

We had a guy who used to come on PZ..only to sell his products..but would never
contribute anything...once I told him..no free advertising he started contributing,
once he did...it was simple to see he was clue less..he finally went away on his own.

A few months later we read the guys going to jail for embezzlement.

Old 05-22-2009, 08:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVR421 View Post
I dont mind it myself as a person who comes here to learn and occasionally drop my 2cents in, if I do advise a part or service I try to include whatever decent vendors or shops are close to the OPs home.

What I have noticed, Greg/Oink is quick to offer up his services on just about any post and Ken/Dude is thin skinned about being tree'd on the chance to sell a part. Ken/Ace seems to spend more time working but doesnt miss many chances to promote either. That Pbody guy gets a lot of airtime but he's a little more relaxed about self promo. He and Cliff are always in there with advise.

Maybe a vendor/aftermarket parts section like PontiacZone has would be useful for we buyers to ask about parts and vendors and vendor/shops could verify that choice and promote their new items and services?
Or maybe its not needed here? It seems to me anyone should be able to get in some advertising if its written in such a way as too not sound too pushy...

Its all good as far as Im concerned as just an average person enjoying the forums.
Are you reading my mind...my thoughts exactly.

Old 05-22-2009, 08:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

"Are you reading my mind...my thoughts exactly."

Dont skeer me like that Lou! (8-)

Old 05-22-2009, 08:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Why you afraid my spelling will rub off on you.

Old 05-22-2009, 10:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Everybody should become more familiar with this icon --->

It isn't there just for looks... It actually works!

Old 05-22-2009, 10:55 PM

Some posters sure have a way of coming off a lot more helpfull and less tacky about pushing stuff.

If you need any more observations I sell those you know.... 503-897-4987 hahaha

Old 05-23-2009, 06:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Ken, others. Listing new parts that are available to the market, come on now, what is wrong with this practice?

I don't make it a practice to run threads telling folks about our new parts inventory, but will mention parts we have available specifically from time to time in responses and only where it will benefit those who read about them.

For example, currently available over the counter carburetor kits still use rubber components in them, and the cheap "soft" white plastic accellerator pumps. We have made the distributors of these parts fully aware of the problems, and they have refused to upgrade the parts. I suspect they are going to continue to use up all of their "old stock" and may never step up with anything ethanol compatable. Just a guess on my part due to slow sales in that market from a commercial standpoint. This leaves us, as specialty shops to take the steps to make good parts available.

Folks who buy the "low" end parts, they find out that these parts fail quickly. Many come on here and ask for advice.

Should I spend my time telling them why the carburetor rebuild was unsuccessful and NOT tell them we have the components to completely/correctly rebuild the carburetor and our kits contain ethanol compatable components, PLUS scores of needed parts not found in over the counter kits?

Should I not mention that we have bushing installation kits available?

Complete tuning packages?

Fastener kits, HP accellerator pump assemblies, high flow Viton needle/seat assemblies, and just about any other part you would/could want for your carburetor......OR......should I just let them "Google" up another potential supplier for these parts, at least one of which has copied some of our parts, who's website address comes up BEFORE ours on most Search Engines, and then they make all the money?

I mention our parts if/as needed.

If someone has just installed a camshaft that isn't working well, what would be wrong with telling them that you have found a much more desirable camshaft for that particular application, and have dyno, street and drag strip tested it?

I personally do NOT have a problem anyplace with Ace running his threads when he brings a new part to the market. There isn't anything easy or inexpensive about parts developement. You can rest assured that with nearly every part you come up with, someone is going to copy it, and try to share part of your market in short order.

I'd much rather buy it from the source, because I know what it takes in effort, time/funds etc to develope new parts.

Bottom line, I am in the parts business, and have spent a small fortune becoming the source for many discontinued parts, and the best parts currently available. If I don't generate any money from my efforts, I should have just kept giving up free advice and let folks continue to use substandard components.

I see that some who responded here do NOT have a "dog in this fight", or any dog in any fight. Trade places with a few of us who are trying to carve out a living in this industry, and see if you still feel the same way about getting a little advertising from some of your efforts once in a while?.....FWIW.....Cliff

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
Old 05-23-2009, 06:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to performerrpm

ive noticed that in the forum too, but some folks like the mentioned mr pbody and iam sure their are others like him that if a question is asked about a part and its use he will advise you about it usefullness to you, and if he happens to stock that part or do that job he might drop that in there too. i dont see nothing wrong with that because the guy with the question gets it answered and then some plus anyone else that may have been following that thread gets it too. several guys on here like that, i would hope nothing happens to change that.

i have seen some of the folks that do alot of advertising and not much in the way of helpful advice though too.

well hell, now that we're thrue that' anyone need there yard mowed or anything?? i know a great company........performerrpm's landscaping......best out there

Old 05-23-2009, 07:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gach View Post
I really enjoy reading your post..you give excellent tech advise, I can see why they
ask you if you build or do motor related service. You give allot of detail information
very good information...my opinion your one of the best contributer's on all the boards and we have allot of good people who are generally out to help others.

If they where smart their phone would ring more offen, people can tell who knows
what their doing by the answers they give.

We had a guy who used to come on PZ..only to sell his products..but would never
contribute anything...once I told him..no free advertising he started contributing,
once he did...it was simple to see he was clue less..he finally went away on his own.

A few months later we read the guys going to jail for embezzlement.
Have to agree about chief - tremendous source of info.

Old 05-23-2009, 10:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via Yahoo to Ken -Ace- Brewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff R View Post
Ken, others. Listing new parts that are available to the market, come on now, what is wrong with this practice?

I don't make it a practice to run threads telling folks about our new parts inventory, but will mention parts we have available specifically from time to time in responses and only where it will benefit those who read about them.

For example, currently available over the counter carburetor kits still use rubber components in them, and the cheap "soft" white plastic accellerator pumps. We have made the distributors of these parts fully aware of the problems, and they have refused to upgrade the parts. I suspect they are going to continue to use up all of their "old stock" and may never step up with anything ethanol compatable. Just a guess on my part due to slow sales in that market from a commercial standpoint. This leaves us, as specialty shops to take the steps to make good parts available.

Folks who buy the "low" end parts, they find out that these parts fail quickly. Many come on here and ask for advice.

Should I spend my time telling them why the carburetor rebuild was unsuccessful and NOT tell them we have the components to completely/correctly rebuild the carburetor and our kits contain ethanol compatable components, PLUS scores of needed parts not found in over the counter kits?

Should I not mention that we have bushing installation kits available?

Complete tuning packages?

Fastener kits, HP accellerator pump assemblies, high flow Viton needle/seat assemblies, and just about any other part you would/could want for your carburetor......OR......should I just let them "Google" up another potential supplier for these parts, at least one of which has copied some of our parts, who's website address comes up BEFORE ours on most Search Engines, and then they make all the money?

I mention our parts if/as needed.

If someone has just installed a camshaft that isn't working well, what would be wrong with telling them that you have found a much more desirable camshaft for that particular application, and have dyno, street and drag strip tested it?

I personally do NOT have a problem anyplace with Ace running his threads when he brings a new part to the market. There isn't anything easy or inexpensive about parts developement. You can rest assured that with nearly every part you come up with, someone is going to copy it, and try to share part of your market in short order.

I'd much rather buy it from the source, because I know what it takes in effort, time/funds etc to develope new parts.

Bottom line, I am in the parts business, and have spent a small fortune becoming the source for many discontinued parts, and the best parts currently available. If I don't generate any money from my efforts, I should have just kept giving up free advice and let folks continue to use substandard components.

I see that some who responded here do NOT have a "dog in this fight", or any dog in any fight. Trade places with a few of us who are trying to carve out a living in this industry, and see if you still feel the same way about getting a little advertising from some of your efforts once in a while?.....FWIW.....Cliff

Thank you Cliff. I am not taking this thread personaly. I actualy KNOW who Ken is refering too as we had this conversation on the phone BEFORE this was posted. :-)

Ace

Old 05-23-2009, 10:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Heck, any of us who frequent these boards KNOW exactly who he's talking about....

Old 05-23-2009, 10:41 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOLou View Post
Heck, any of us who frequent these boards KNOW exactly who he's talking about....

And make an educated decision on who to trust.