THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Closed Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 01:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't think GM banked on a marketing plan which pitched the newer GTOs to old men who had had their day in the 60s and 70s.

You cant always dredge up- 30 +/- years of "heritage" and expect 55 + year old men to pony up money and buy a performance car at that age....plus, I think they knew exactly who their market was.

You take majority of old men who complained about the looks of the new GTOs, and I bet 99% wouldn't have bought one "anyway"...even if they had stuck a 69 body on the chassis......

Like Sirrotica has always said: if you drive one, will may see them in a different light.

They really were nice cars for the money.....takes an open mind for modern styling and appreciation for performance...

Old 02-14-2014, 01:55 PM
Suspended

I too wanted to bold something and point out this is post #122 for 1974 GTO's!

Old 02-14-2014, 02:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHarper View Post

takes an open mind for modern styling and appreciation for performance...
Takes an open mind to come up with an appropriate name for that car as well

1970 GTO 4spd VOE Pepper Green, green int.
1967 LeMans 428 Auto. Blue, black int.
Old 02-14-2014, 02:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Looked like a Cavalier.
Performance? Yeah....again I say the available engines would make a mail truck fast.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 02-14-2014, 05:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Jones View Post
Looked like a Cavalier.
Performance? Yeah....again I say the available engines would make a mail truck fast.
As they say, styling is always subjective. Performance isn't.

The Following User Says Thank You to Mr_GTO For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2014, 05:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_GTO View Post
As they say, styling is always subjective. Performance isn't.
Well give me the fast mail truck!

1970 GTO 4spd VOE Pepper Green, green int.
1967 LeMans 428 Auto. Blue, black int.
Old 02-14-2014, 06:46 PM
Senior Chief

I'm not sure how the 74 GTO conversation turned to the 04-06 GTO but I'll chime in. I've never liked the 04-06 cars. Frankly, I'm severely disappointed in Pontiac that they simply couldn't let the GTO name rest in peace. They had to drudge it up and slap it on an imported car that granted was fast but had no personality.

I could drop an LS motor into an AMC Pacer and it might be fast but it would still be a Pacer. That's kind of how I feel about the 04-06 cars. Are they fast, sure but are they cool...no. They look to me like every other boring jellybean shaped car out there.

Greg
68 Firebird Verdoro Green
428, 6X-4 heads, Comp XE284 cam
Muncie 4 speed
3:73 rear
The Following User Says Thank You to 71SportRagtop For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2014, 06:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71SportRagtop View Post
I'm not sure how the 74 GTO conversation turned to the 04-06 GTO but I'll chime in. I've never liked the 04-06 cars. Frankly, I'm severely disappointed in Pontiac that they simply couldn't let the GTO name rest in peace. They had to drudge it up and slap it on an imported car that granted was fast but had no personality.

I could drop an LS motor into an AMC Pacer and it might be fast but it would still be a Pacer. That's kind of how I feel about the 04-06 cars. Are they fast, sure but are they cool...no. They look to me like every other boring jellybean shaped car out there.
True and I never had anyone call my GTO a "nice chevelle" in high school.....see where this goes?

Old 02-14-2014, 07:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

All it took was to say the previous red headed step children were the 73-74 GTOs and that the 04-06 ones have now taken their place.

BTW the Post is titled "GTO Acceptance" nothing in the header about what years. The OP starts out with his car and I threw in the 04-06 cars, I can't see anything wrong with subject matter from the title of the post.

You have your opinion if their cool ....... plenty of people compliment me on my car sitting still in a parking lot, so fast has nothing to do with cool factor at all, just as belly buttons everyone has one. If they looked like every other late model on the road as you say, then how is it my car gets thumbs up etc. from people walking along the road? People always coming up to me in gas stations fast food restaurants etc. and complimenting me on my car. You don't have to believe me, ask any 04-06 GTO owner how many people compliment them on their car. Just because it's wasn't a retro car means nothing to me, I don't like the current mustangs or challengers. If I wanted a old car I'd buy an original old car, not a new car with a feeble attempt made to look like an old car.

Just take a second to ponder this, an old GTO on today's roads is going to definitely catch your attention, correct. Well if I took my 05 GTO and was able to time warp back to late 60s at say a burger joint, how many people do you think would be swarming over to look at the futuristic GTO? It's all relative to what your used to seeing isn't it? For that matter if I hang on to my 05 in 35 more years it will look nothing like cars in 2050.

One more thing, FYI, the 04-06 GTOs aren't the first GTOs that were imported cars. "REAL" GTOs were also imported and made outside of the US too, I bet that's a shocker to you. Holden made the 04-06 GTOs and they are a subsidy of GM, some people act like kia or honda made the late model model cars.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 02-14-2014, 08:12 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:

I kind of like my LS 2000 Ram Air Conv as is and my AMC Pacer as is

Old 02-14-2014, 09:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Jones View Post
Looked like a Cavalier.
I don't know about mail trucks, but I have seen a few UPS trucks with a 6.0 that actually seem pretty fast, especially with the UPS drivers behind the wheel. They drop off their packages, get in, fire it up and drop the hammer down to the floor.

The Following User Says Thank You to goatwgn For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2014, 10:29 PM

...74 GTO...looked like a Nova, ugly 5mph front bumper...I thought the GTO was at the end of its line, it was

The Following User Says Thank You to 69 DAYTONA For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2014, 04:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I bet that 350 4 speed is a real fun driver.
I once saw one and I ran over to talk to the guy. he seemed embarrassed and said "this is my kids car".
it obviously was a kids car but I still feel like a kid when I see a cool project.
it had wheel flares and gigantic fat tires, made it look lower and wider... faded red or orange...I still thought it was cool. 4 speed too. I want that car just to drive as is.

Old 02-15-2014, 07:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I always thought it would be cool to have a 74 GTO and see how fast you could make it go while maintaining a stock appearance and the 350.

Old 02-15-2014, 09:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Would have been so easy for Pontiac to use the 400-4V from the 1974 Trans Am.

Instead of the 1974 GTO 350 producing 200hp and 295 lb-ft of torque, it would have produced 225hp and 330 lb-ft of torque with a regular 400.

Forget about 455's or SD-455's, just this small change from a 350 to a 400 in the 1974 GTO would have made a world of difference. Pontiac wouldn't have had to change any suspension, exhaust, or cooling components in the process, other than perhaps using the Turbo 400 instead of the Turbo 350 trans.

My Bio: I am currently writing articles for POCI's Smoke Signals magazine and enjoy promoting and discussing the history of the Pontiac Motor Division.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeNoun For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2014, 10:21 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have a stock one with a 4 speed. These cars were tested back in 1974 running in the 15.70's at 88. As I started to just do some simple tuning to it, it responded nicely. The carb was set up so lean from the factory, probably to help with emissions. Changing the curve in the distributor helped a lot. I changed the exhaust, kept the size the same but went with a mandrel bent system that helped and added some gear and the car goes in the upper 14's at over 93mph, best ET of 14.67. Low 15's with the stock gear. Not the fastest car out there but it is entertaining to drive.

Jody

- W72 400 - 4speed
- WS6
- Heritage Brown
- Air Conditioning
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to threefidee For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2014, 10:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Agreed, with some good tuning, better stock cam, exhaust and proper gearing for the combo these cars could easily run 14 flat or even slightly better. The 350 is much maligned on the Internet but aren't so bad in the real world.

Old 02-16-2014, 01:38 PM

i would like to own a 73 gto someday.

67 lemans custom
The Following User Says Thank You to goats2quick For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2014, 09:02 PM
Suspended

I too wanted to bold something and point out this is post #139 for 1974 GTO's!

Old 02-16-2014, 09:08 PM
Suspended

Lightbulb

And for all of you a$$ hats that wanted to turn this into a 1973 & 2004+ GTo thread this IS about 1974 GTOs...so get over it already! http://www.74gto.com/

I too wanted to bold something and point out this is post #140 for 1974 GTO's!

Closed Thread