Old 01-24-2013, 11:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 2002 GTP info center relay

HI Guys hope you can help me out.
This car has HUD.
The info center will go blank when I turn on the AC/heat, which only will work on highest fan setting (5).
I can shut off heater & restart car & info will come on as usual. Hit the fan & she goes dark.
A couple years back had the low fan speed (1-2) relay replaced. The info center was not affected by that one.
Thanks in advance!

Old 01-24-2013, 02:51 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Believe it or not, it's probably the ignition switch.

I fixed these same issues on my '02 GTP.

My HVAC controls, DRL, DIC, HUD all were acting flaky.

The ignition switch had to be replaced.

I tried the ignition bypass first, hoping to save the cost and effort of replacing the switch assembly, but the bypass only worked for a few start cycles. The ignition switch contacts were badly scorched/burned.

This is an attachment you can download that describes how to do the bypass. It inserts a relay in the ignition circuit to prevent the high-current flows through the switch contacts. (http://www.grandprixforums.net/attac...-bypasspnp.pdf),

Use this diagnostic process to verify that it is the switch: http://www.sparkys-answers.com/2009/...-changing.html When I checked mine, I found 0 volts at the HVAC/DIC fuse.

Excellent write-up on switch replacement procedure here: http://www.sparkys-answers.com/2009/...-changing.html

The best, bullet-proof solution would be to replace the switch AND install the bypass with the new switch. If you do this, the new switch will never see the high current loads and it should last indefinitely.

Switches are available from any auto supply. I actually got the best price on a Delco unit. Good luck!
Joe

Old 01-24-2013, 03:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I did get a clicking from under the dash left side when the Info went dark sounded like a turn signal was on. Thanks very much.....gonna print this info

Old 01-24-2013, 03:40 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Yep; mine did that, too.

Old 01-25-2013, 09:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

X3, was one of the only issues our 99 had.

78 Catlina Safari, Pontiac 400 powered
77 Astre Formula, 215 Buick V-8 T-5
73 Lemans Safari, 400 4bbl 4-speed
71 Catalina Enforcer, 455 4bbl
06 Mallet Solstice #024 LS2, Now with a Tremec 6060 6-speed!
2012 F-150 Echo Boost (My local Ford Dealer SUX!!!)
2020 Dodge Charger Scat pack (recovered)
Old 01-27-2013, 10:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Im sure I posted this before about the sons 97 GTP.
It would stall out and wouldnt restart.
He replaced the pump and it seemed OK for a while then did the same thing again.
We finally pulled the passenger seat and rear seat and traced the wiring back from pump.
under load I found the pump had 7-8volts and wanted to find where the voltage drop was.
I ran all the way back to the resistor for fuel pump,shunted it with battery voltage and car fired right up.
I then found out that the ignition switch is split into two circuits and the half that has fuel pump was flaking out. $45 wholesale for a Delco and we were in business. I still have that old switch,dont know why but keep it has a reminder to never use a test probe(light) when looking for a voltage drop problem.