Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 12-26-2021, 09:36 PM

Default 66 gto PHS documents and trim tag

My wife got me the PHS documents for my 66 gto convertible project. When I bought the car a few months ago, it came with a non original engine topped with a tri-power. I assumed the tri-power was not original due to the lack of an original motor. Much to my surprise, PHS states that it is an original tri-power car. Very little else in the way of options, but how much does a fella need besides multiple carbs, a 4 speed, and a posi? All jokes aside, I had a question about my trim tag. The tag shows options G and L, which I understand to be 4 speed and console. The PHS documents say nothing about the console, and I'm fairly certain that the console that came with the car is not original. Is it possible that the console was never delivered with the car despite the trim tag designation?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	download.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	580698   Click image for larger version

Name:	download (2).jpg
Views:	108
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	580699  

Old 12-27-2021, 10:39 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewm View Post
My wife got me the PHS documents for my 66 gto convertible project. When I bought the car a few months ago, it came with a non original engine topped with a tri-power. I assumed the tri-power was not original due to the lack of an original motor. Much to my surprise, PHS states that it is an original tri-power car. Very little else in the way of options, but how much does a fella need besides multiple carbs, a 4 speed, and a posi? All jokes aside, I had a question about my trim tag. The tag shows options G and L, which I understand to be 4 speed and console. The PHS documents say nothing about the console, and I'm fairly certain that the console that came with the car is not original. Is it possible that the console was never delivered with the car despite the trim tag designation?
in my PHS documents I got a 1966 Car Billing History card and the 1966 Model Wholesale Car Order form. It is my understanding that if Car Billing History Box 47 has a "2", that indicates the car was originally ordered with bucket seats and console per the Car Order form. There are many other members here that have researched this history exhaustively, so someone can give you a definitive answer (might want to post in the 66/67 section if responses are slow here).

Muncie 4 speed (orginally an automatic car)
Old 12-27-2021, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftwmlp View Post
in my PHS documents I got a 1966 Car Billing History card and the 1966 Model Wholesale Car Order form. It is my understanding that if Car Billing History Box 47 has a "2", that indicates the car was originally ordered with bucket seats and console per the Car Order form. There are many other members here that have researched this history exhaustively, so someone can give you a definitive answer (might want to post in the 66/67 section if responses are slow here).
Thanks for the reply. I did get the billing history and order form also. Nothing in box 47. Im not worried too much about this other than for curiosity's sake. Just curious if anyone ever had a trim tag disagree with the PHS documents. I also wonder if there is a better copy of the order form, as the boxes dont all match the billing history. I googled to no avail...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GTO car billing history.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	580738   Click image for larger version

Name:	66 gto.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	160.8 KB
ID:	580739  

Old 12-27-2021, 11:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The cowl tag would have a '2' before the GL if it was for the Console and manual trans hole?

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 12-27-2021, 12:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The BHC does show it as a WS tripower with 4 speed and 3.55 gear maybe?

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 12-27-2021, 12:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Marina Turquoise with Black vinyl seats, nice color.

The Following User Says Thank You to johnta1 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2021, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnta1 View Post
The cowl tag would have a '2' before the GL if it was for the Console and manual trans hole?

Ive also read that it would need the "2" before the GL, then read somewhere that the Baltimore plant was very inconsistent with their trim tags. I also have not seen other trim tags with the "669" or any other variation above the location of the plant. (on mine, its above the BAL)

Regardless, I am going to put a console back in it along with rally gauges.

Old 12-27-2021, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnta1 View Post
The BHC does show it as a WS tripower with 4 speed and 3.55 gear maybe?
Yes, tripower, 4 speed, 3.55 posi, and pushbutton AM radio. I suppose it would be nice to have a bunch of other options, but if I had to choose only 3 options, tripower, 4 speed, and posi would be the 3 I would choose. Unfortunately, the original motor is long gone. I do have the original muncie (grenaded and I might rebuild) and the original rear, which I do not want to rebuild and I have an 8.5 10 bolt from a 71 olds that I am going to rebuild and put in.

Old 01-03-2022, 05:07 PM

Follow up question...can you tell by the order history or any other PHS documents if the car was a dealer ordered car or a customer ordered car?