THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 08-21-2018, 03:57 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

Default 1917 Buick touring car

It's disturbingly easy to get the front wheels wobbling on this old car which doesn't even have any shock absorbers (other than built-in friction of spring leaves). A small bump or hole or rail crossing at more than about 5 MPH can do it. So I'm going to try a steering damper. It's a NOS vintage shock I had lying around (from ???). It will sit between the axle and the cross tie rod, clamped to them. I'll let you know if it works...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	steering_damper.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	123.1 KB
ID:	491034   Click image for larger version

Name:	1917buick21.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	491035  

Old 08-21-2018, 07:11 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Gifford View Post
It's disturbingly easy to get the front wheels wobbling on this old car
Is that because the springs have lost a bit of tension, got to be a little unnerving even for back in the day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Gifford View Post
So I'm going to try a steering damper.
Seems that should work pretty good, interesting to see.

Frank

Old 08-21-2018, 08:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Jack, this problem is way more common on vehicle with straight front axles. Some of the cures/problems I've read about, loose steering components, loose shackle pins, wheel balance (with wooden spoke wheels that may be somewhat tough to address), bent/out of round wheels, caster angles (changed by using wedge shaped shims). Shackles and spring eye bushings were probably the most common problems. Sometimes a dampener will solve the problem, sometimes not. Some cured the problem by swapping front and rear wheels.

In case the dampener doesn't do the job, you have some other areas to look at, good luck...…….

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Last edited by Sirrotica; 08-21-2018 at 08:58 AM.
Old 08-21-2018, 12:28 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

This is off topic a bit, I hope you don't mind, Jack.But when the wife and I were married 21 years ago, I hired a 1917 Buick Touring car with chauffeur for our wedding car. It was even close to the same color as the one pictured - thanks for the memories. It did have a wobble once it got rolling. At one point we needed to go down a long, very steep hill. The wobble got so bad I was tempted to bail. LOL.

Old 08-21-2018, 12:48 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldblueponcho View Post
The wobble got so bad I was tempted to bail. LOL.
Immediate grounds divorce.

Frank

Old 08-21-2018, 01:06 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4zpeed View Post
Immediate grounds divorce.

Frank
That's funny right there, Frank. I forgot to mention the wife was onboard with the bailing idea tho. Funny thing is, the wife put me in charge of renting a limo. When I found the Buick and told her about it, she said, limo - what limo. A true car gal.

Old 08-21-2018, 01:26 PM

I think you are treating the symptoms rather than the issue causing the symptoms. I have a 14 touring that I put about 1500 miles per year. I would search on the AACA General Discussion forum and on the Pre War Buick Forum on the AACA site. I would also search on the Horseless Carriage Club Forum. I think you can post on either site without joining either club.

Old 08-21-2018, 05:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a 1915 Ford, and have had this issue before I fixed the problem. The problem was loose kingpin bushings, and out-of-true wheels. I replaced the bushings and had the wheels re-wooded. No need to put a band-aid on the car...fix the worn parts. You'll be good for another 100 years!

Old 08-22-2018, 01:31 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

No problems driving my 1923 Model T around until I hit the local brick road. That just sends the car into crazy mode? Even as low as 15mph. I can't even imagine what they had to deal with back then?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lutefisk Special.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	491164  

Old 08-22-2018, 02:28 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

Thanks for all the comments.
The damper works! I spent a half an hour driving all the roughest streets of the village, and all the rail crossings- up to 35 MPH. Many of those spots were first-gear sections for me before.
The "band aid" comment is somewhat true, however I've band-aided the car's design not its condition. If you don't believe this, take all the shocks off a car- any car- and drive it over a railroad crossing.