Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 06-03-2017, 06:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Noisy Airtex mechanical fuel pump

Couldn't figure out where the noise was coming from.......

Airtex 40680 literally less than 100 miles on it since installed in 2014.

Any suggestions what is causing the noise before I do the autopsy? Arm is pretty weak and sloppy too.

https://youtu.be/Rl76PV-UMlA

Old 06-04-2017, 07:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Get it out of there and replace it before it develops a leak that may pump fuel into the oil pan and do a autopsy later!!!

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
Old 06-04-2017, 08:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have had just terrible service from ALL Airtex fuel pumps. Don't see many mechanical fuel pumps nowdays, but the 2 I installed both had issues. One was noisy like yours, the other leaked at the major crimp where they are put together. It was a Chevy model. Their electric fuel pumps are total trash. Noisy, pulsating fuel flow, low pressure, low volume, high failure. We were seeing about a 50% failure rate in 6 months of service. I will not use them , period. A free replacement does little good when dealing with a full 34 gallon tank on say a Suburban. ACDelco or Delphi are consistently good fuel pumps, mechanical or electrical.

Old 06-04-2017, 10:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
I have had just terrible service from ALL Airtex fuel pumps. Don't see many mechanical fuel pumps nowdays, but the 2 I installed both had issues. One was noisy like yours, the other leaked at the major crimp where they are put together. It was a Chevy model. Their electric fuel pumps are total trash. Noisy, pulsating fuel flow, low pressure, low volume, high failure. We were seeing about a 50% failure rate in 6 months of service. I will not use them , period. A free replacement does little good when dealing with a full 34 gallon tank on say a Suburban. ACDelco or Delphi are consistently good fuel pumps, mechanical or electrical.
I've got about 60,000 miles on my airtex(large canister) mechanical pump......No issues. As a matter of fact RobbMc recommended it since I have a stock engine. He could have sold me one of his but said the airtex would do....

Old 06-04-2017, 01:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Goose call?

That thing honk that loud when it's pumping fuel?
Does capping off inlet or outlet change it's tune?

The honkin' dry sounds close to normal to me. Stronger pumps are louder when pumping dry like that. But it should quieten down when it's wet and building pressure.

Clay

Old 10-02-2021, 03:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Dragging up this antique thread about noisy mechanical pumps I started. Vid was removed sorry.

Had the same issue recently but this time with a large canister Carter pump on a stock 400.
When I first installed the pump it was quiet, but slowly but surely a noise returned.

Zero mile engine.......at about 200 or so miles I can start to hear that telltale whomp-whomp-whomp sound at idle.

At 520 miles it got so loud I couldn't take it any more and took it out. The damn arm was so sloppy and loose it almost felt like it was going to break soon. When I operated the pump by hand in a vise it honked so loudly I thought I was going to attract geese. Covering the intake port of the pump with a rag slightly quieted it down a little but this was obviously the sound I was hearing at idle.

Replaced the Carter pump with a Delphi unit that uses a spring under the arm unlike the Carter which had nothing.
I can still hear the whomp-whomp sound at idle very faint but it's not offensive. I guess it's just the nature of the beast with mechanical pumps but the Carter was a total piece of crap. Operating the Delphi pump by hand had no noise.

Hopefully the Delphi stays quiet,time will tell.

I wanted to use a NOS Delco pump but I am afraid the diaphragm isn't compatible with today's fuel and will disintegrate over time.

The Following User Says Thank You to abefromen For This Useful Post: