THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 03-18-2022, 08:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Using Ebay is EXPENSIVE!

Just an observation, so others are aware of their pricing "structure".

I'm a bit computer "stupid" so may not be seeing it, but Ebay is charging HEAVY fees for selling items on their site.

I run a few small items on there that don't sell very well. That's only because no matter what you are selling there will be someone else selling something like it for less with "free shipping".

Anyhow, been cleaning out the shop some and sold a few items. They used to put the money in your Pay Pal account, now they route it to your bank account, doesn't matter.

So I started paying closer attention to how much they take from each sale. It's not exactly the same but it's pretty "hefty" amount based on the sale price.

Roughly around 15-16 percent based on the past half a dozen sales I had this month. Of course you absolutely MUST offer "free shipping" or you eliminate 90 percent if not more of your potential buyers. This assumes it's an item others are also selling on their site.

So I sold an NOS Delco accl pump on there couple of days ago. Sale price $20 with free-shipping. Shipping cost $3.73 for USPS 1st Class Mail. Ebay fee was $3.06, so I netted out $13.21.

Pretty "hefty" costs with a very small margin for using their services......IMHO......

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cliff R For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2022, 08:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I stopped selling on eBay a few years back. eBay really left the seller out to dry when selling used car parts. Had a guy try to get me to lower price after he had the item I sold him then wanted a refund I told him ship it back when I got it I would give him his refund. eBay decided to take it out of PayPal and gave him his refund before I had the parts back. Needless to say that was it for me with eBay.

Old 03-18-2022, 09:07 AM

I gave up selling on Ebay when they demanded my bank account number. Uhhh,,,,NO.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tcom For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2022, 09:08 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I sold a $1500 supercharger hat a while ago. I was chapped when I saw how much they took for themselves. I won’t list anything again. Had to wait 4 weeks for my money. I also refused to give them my banking info.

Don

Old 03-18-2022, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcom View Post
I gave up selling on Ebay when they demanded my bank account number. Uhhh,,,,NO.
Same here!

Old 03-18-2022, 09:56 AM

I quit years ago when ebay wouldn't allow me to accept check or money orders.
they wanted me to use pay pal so they could take more fees. I said goodbye.

Old 03-18-2022, 10:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

ive been selling on ebay for 20+ years at a pretty high volume. i dont disagree that ebay has went downhill in the last 5 years or so, but to clarify the fees, its not 15-16%, their fees have always been right at 10% of the final sale price which isnt too bad for the exposure they have & that bids can frequently get 25-100+% of the starting bid price. & paypal took the standard ~3% for payments, same that all credit card payment processing companies take. but now that ebay handles the payments & not paypal they get that payment processing fee, their total fees are now 12.9% plus a .30 per sale fee. technically its still the same fee its been for 10-15 years.

they do charge their fee on the shipping cost now as of about 10 years ago, they say thats because sellers were selling $100 items for .99, then charging $99 "shipping" to avoid their seller fees, while i dont like charging fees on shipping, it is warranted to stop those sellers from avoiding paying their fees.

as for free shipping, you just have to work that into the sale price, buyers see free shipping & think its a bargain but most sellers are just tacking that on to the sale price, same with the fees, so they arent really losing money, they just raise the price & pass it on to the buyer. also remember that all selling fees are tax deductable, so if you are paying taxes on your sales, which you should be if youre making a decent profit, then you arent really paying those sales fees in the end.

giving them your bank info is no different than giving it to paypal to get paid for selling, they both are just 3rd party payment processors & have your bank info already. & ebay only holds payments for brand new members to be sure you are legit & not going to list something & take the buyers money, once you have a few good sales you get the money in a few days.

im not defending ebay, it used to be a great place to sell things & get worldwide exposure that will usually get a higher sale price than just listing on a online forum or craigslist etc, just need to be aware of how their fees work & list items accordingly. but selling anything at the bigger online places today has fees whether its ebay or amazon etc & getting paid online requires providing your bank account. heres their fee structure for those interested or unaware.

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/fe...docId=HELP1456

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 78w72 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2022, 10:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks, 78w72. I've cleaned out a garage and shop and have a bunch of truck parts I've been wanting to sell (not even so much for the money as to keep from throwing away old semi parts that someone out there might be able to use). Trying to dip into the online selling thing with ebay has been a bit confusing, and your info helps give it some perspective. I appreciate it.

Old 03-18-2022, 10:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I had no problem with them having my account info until they took money out of my account without my ok that was the redline for me to be done with them.

Old 03-18-2022, 10:56 AM
Senior Chief

Life was good in the early wild-west days of eBay. Great finds, and I did well selling stuff. Now if I buy 1 thing a year off there, its a special thing. FB marketplace and groups are the only way for me anymore. With the proliferance of scammers on FB, I am face-to-face only unless its someone I already know.

I've had the same two swap meet spaces for years at a big swap meet nearby. I let them go this year. To clear $140 over and above the fuel to get there and back, it just wasnt worth it anymore. I will still go and wander around, but I dont see selling there in the future.

If ebay went under, I wouldnt lose a wink of sleep over it.

64 F-85
72 4-4-2 Mondello's VO Twister II
84 Hurst/Olds #2449
87 Cutlass Salon
54 Olds 88 sedan
Old 03-18-2022, 11:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcom View Post
ditto

Old 03-18-2022, 11:31 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

My 2 cents

The fee on shipping is a load of crap. But, as they say, what're you gonna do?

As for free shipping vs shipping charged, I have had the opposite experience of others here. I have listed items both ways and the items with free shipping almost never sell unless they are just plain cheap. I think so many sellers list with free shipping that people who are frequent eBayers just have "free shipping" on the brain and all they see is the sale price. Then, when they check out, the sentiment seems to be "oh. no free shipping? Oh well". That's my take anyway.

My biggest gripe is their customer service. It was bad enough a couple years ago when I would have to explain my issue 3 or 4 times to break through the language barrier. Now they try to force you to use an automated assistant which is just as big a joke as you would expect from most of the automated garbage. I recently had an issue that went through 5 appeals(with the automated assistant). Every denial message I received had an explanation that had nothing to do with the basis for the appeal. I allow myself to go through a lot of stress just because "it's the principle of the matter". I kept pushing and kept bugging until I finally spoke with a human being(in the U.S. even) and he looked the case over multiple times and could not figure out how/why my appeal was denied. Everything was set right, but what a hassle.

Something I will say in eBay's favor though... at least as far as sellers are concerned. I used to make sure all my Pontiac parts for sale were listed here as well as Craigslist and eBay. I would determine a price(that I listed here and CL) then add the cost of selling fees and shipping to figure out the eBay price. I have sold a lot on eBay despite the higher price... also, just for reference, I only sell/ship in the U.S.

Old 03-18-2022, 12:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I sold a lot of cars on Ebay over the years, but no more. The fees are out of control, the lack of support for sellers, and huge overreach with them wanting my bank account info was the end for me.

I've been selling cars through Facebook groups, and it couldn't be easier. It usually sells in 24hrs or less, and money is directly wired to me, or sometimes they pay in cash. Had people drive from all over the country to pick up the cars and pay in cash, and it couldn't be any easier. Plus there's no government knowledge of it.

In short, Ebay can get bent.

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 03-18-2022, 12:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here are the details from the last four sales I had on there:

$20 payout was $16.94
$150 payout was $128.25
$14.99 payout was $12.64
$50.00 payout was $43.08

Someone better at math than I am tell me that's not more than 10 percent?

I'll also mention that they HOSED me on a purchase to the UK. Ebay sent me a link to the sale showing shipping and customs fees were taken out, and that the "shipping address" was in the UK. So I shipped the item to the UK as directed.

A few days later I get my "pay out" and it's $38 short. I contact Ebay about it and they said that I offered "free shipping" and that they used a "Global Shipping Service". I was supposed to ship it to someplace in Kentucky which was NOT indicated on the transaction details they sent to me. I responded that the FIRST email they sent me linked to transaction details showing a shipping address in the UK. I finally gave up trying to get my money back, if and when I'd get a living human being on the phone they were from India or South Africa and I couldn't understand half of what they were saying anyhow!.......FWIW.....

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cliff R For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2022, 01:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Couple points
Ebay. Their final value fee are Higher on the item, than
On the shipping. So offering free shipping can cost you more.
Fakebook marketplace now has their own " money laundering " market pay" AND, like Ebay, PayPal, etc WILL
REPORT your Total sales of the year if over 600 to the IRS.
YOU WILL get a 1099. This sucks for those NOT running a business.
So, back to eBay. Your NOT in business, but offer free shipping and end up with lets say 14% fee. NOW , add on to that 20% Federal tax ( depending on your bracket) because you are over 600 bucks for the year. Now you are at 34% and this could be higher if your state bases state tax on your total income including 1099's.
Swap meets are back to looking good.

Old 03-18-2022, 01:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quit selling anything on Ebay years ago. Didn't like the fee structure then and no doubt it has gotten worse!

Old 03-18-2022, 01:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72projectbird View Post
I sold a lot of cars on Ebay over the years, but no more. The fees are out of control, the lack of support for sellers, and huge overreach with them wanting my bank account info was the end for me.

I've been selling cars through Facebook groups, and it couldn't be easier. It usually sells in 24hrs or less, and money is directly wired to me, or sometimes they pay in cash. Had people drive from all over the country to pick up the cars and pay in cash, and it couldn't be any easier. Plus there's no government knowledge of it.

In short, Ebay can get bent.
Fakebook Knows. They message buyers and ask if they bought from the marketplace seller.
Next spring you will find out what they know and don't know... I sure hope you are right though and get no 1099.

Old 03-18-2022, 01:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

$20 payout was $16.94 @15%
$150 payout was $128.25 @15%
$14.99 payout was $12.64 @16%
$50.00 payout was $43.08 @14%

Old 03-18-2022, 02:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I sold almost 500 items and it was a royal PITA. I would list 10 things a week, get paid for 7, chase one and never hear back on the other two and have to relist them. I quit, not worth it.

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
Old 03-18-2022, 02:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Who owns eBay? Does Google have their fingers in it too?

I buy off of eBay once in a great while, but I won't sell thru them.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.