Old 03-11-2020, 08:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Electronic controlled transmissions are not new, GM has had them since 1991. Anyway, I talked about the T400, not electronically controlled, and easily able to handle a 500 HP Pontiac with just a few modifications. I do believe the OP was originally concerned about breaking transmissions, and asked for input. I offered input based on my own past experiences. After looking at the pictures I don't think it's a weekend street driver.

From the pictures posted, the OP looks to have a dedicated race car, if he has gone to the trouble of building a race car he might want to win races, not go out and have "fun" shifting gears with a 4 speed...............

Not too many people on this board have driven closed course cars as 99% have drag cars and the race section is almost entirely devoted to drag racing. If that's what floats yer boat, that's fine. I myself like other forms of racing, and have participated in them as well.

If the OP was dead set on a stick car, then he can disregard my comments. I didn't get the idea from asking for input, that there was no consideration of any other transmission, but then I have no idea of his criteria, for his car.

I have a tendency to not follow the crowd, and work/look outside of the box. Innovative ideas win races, not following what everyone else is doing. A friend of mine that raced circle track for many years put it in perspective.

Quote:
If I painted the wheels on my race car purple one week, and went out and won the feature race, next week half the cars in the pits would have purple wheels.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 03-11-2020, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrotica View Post
Electronic controlled transmissions are not new, GM has had them since 1991. Anyway, I talked about the T400, not electronically controlled, and easily able to handle a 500 HP Pontiac with just a few modifications. I do believe the OP was originally concerned about breaking transmissions, and asked for input. I offered input based on my own past experiences. After looking at the pictures I don't think it's a weekend street driver.

From the pictures posted, the OP looks to have a dedicated race car, if he has gone to the trouble of building a race car he might want to win races, not go out and have "fun" shifting gears with a 4 speed...............

Not too many people on this board have driven closed course cars as 99% have drag cars and the race section is almost entirely devoted to drag racing. If that's what floats yer boat, that's fine. I myself like other forms of racing, and have participated in them as well.

If the OP was dead set on a stick car, then he can disregard my comments. I didn't get the idea from asking for input, that there was no consideration of any other transmission, but then I have no idea of his criteria, for his car.

I have a tendency to not follow the crowd, and work/look outside of the box. Innovative ideas win races, not following what everyone else is doing. A friend of mine that raced circle track for many years put it in perspective.

Sirrotica, no worries and I appreciate any input. The reason for this car is we have been doing track days with our stock chassis cars and I just don't feel comfortable going fast and not having proper safety around me. We are building the car to potential run classes at our track but if/when we run them it wouldn't be for a long time, 35 with two small girls gives me little weekends free. The idea for the car was to do the best we can on a budget but not skimp on safety and as funds are found down the road upgrades can be made. In a perfect world it would be done all at once but budget isnt there. Issue with that is I want to drive and become a faster driver and I want to be safe so this my best way of doing that.
My 70TA has a TH400 in it and it's seen plenty of autocross and track days and I can assure you that your right, if it was a 4 speed car I would have been slower!

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

Old 03-11-2020, 10:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin70TA View Post
Sirrotica, no worries and I appreciate any input. The reason for this car is we have been doing track days with our stock chassis cars and I just don't feel comfortable going fast and not having proper safety around me. We are building the car to potential run classes at our track but if/when we run them it wouldn't be for a long time, 35 with two small girls gives me little weekends free. The idea for the car was to do the best we can on a budget but not skimp on safety and as funds are found down the road upgrades can be made. In a perfect world it would be done all at once but budget isnt there. Issue with that is I want to drive and become a faster driver and I want to be safe so this my best way of doing that.
My 70TA has a TH400 in it and it's seen plenty of autocross and track days and I can assure you that your right, if it was a 4 speed car I would have been slower!

I commend you for taking the initiative to race safely, respecting your family and putting their best interests above everything else. I have seen some very dangerous race cars in my many years in and around the oval track pits, and road courses. I have also heard some track owners make some absolutely stupid remarks regarding safety of fans and drivers.

I was once told by a pit steward, that my 67 GTO, (in the second pic in my signature), had too many bars in the drivers door, WTF..............................

My response was that it was my A$$ sitting in that seat, and when their butt was in the seat would they want less protection? That ended the discussion pretty quickly.

One time at a drivers meeting I broached the subject of oversize wheel studs not being allowed. The track owner said a wheel coming off a car adds a little excitement for the fans. I then said, that a wheel going into the grandstands should be the ultimate in excitement .............. we were allowed oversize studs after that exchange..........

Stay safe in your pursuits, there are no good wrecks in motorsports. I hate to see anyone taken out of their cars, and put into an ambulance at any racing venue. Go fast, but be safe above all.

Kick A$$ with a PONTIAC.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 03-13-2020, 11:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Navarro View Post
I've toasted two late '70's Super T-10's in the '79 T/A with 3:23 rear and drag radials. I contacted Paul Cangelosi of 5speeds.com and had him build a new Autogear aluminum cased, billet mid-plate, all new internals, based on a Muncie M21.
Awesome trans for a fair price.
I paid around $2500 and rated to 700HP.
Paul offers an array of options including gear ratio's. Give him a call or checkout his youtube video's.

Old 03-13-2020, 01:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

So you banged the gears hard on the new tranny?

1965 GTO 4 barrel 3 speed project
2004 GTO Pulse Red stock motor computer tune 13.43@103.4
1964 Impala SS 409/470ci 600 HP stroker project
1979 Camaro IAII Edelbrock head 500" 695 HP 10.33@132 3595lbs
Old 03-15-2020, 05:34 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom s View Post
think the weak spot will be between the main drive and the cluster.
What Tom said.

The 3.42 gearset has the lowest torque capacity rating of the available Super T-10 gear sets.

The 3.42 main drive gear(gear on end of input shaft) is much smaller in diameter than the gear it is driving on the front of the cluster gear.

The strongest arrangement is when the input gear and the gear it drives on the cluster gear are closer to the same diameter. So that means that the closest ratio unit will be the strongest.

The 2.43 close ratio gearset is the strongest of the Super T-10 gearsets and is identified by 2 identifying grooves on the input shaft spline.

As far as not using 1st gear and avoiding drag race style launches, that will definitely help it live longer. But dont forget; the power flow for the speed gears 1st, 2cnd and 3rd flows through that same weaker maindrive gear and front cluster gear combo.

To illustrate, the 2.43 gear set has a 21 tooth maindrive gear driving a 28 tooth gear on the front of the cluster gear, while the 3.42 set has a pitifully small diameter 17 tooth input shaft driving a much larger dia 31 tooth gear on the front of the cluster gear.

Power flow for all gears except for 4th flow through the maindrive/cluster gear pair.

Curious, where did you get the 904 nodular iron case and is this a 1st design Super T-10 or a 2cnd Design Super T-10....or is it a Richmond (basically a 2cnd design)?

From a HotRod online article:
" the Super T10 that Pontiac specified for its high-torque 400 and 455s was a close-ratio unit with a First-gear ratio of 2.43:1, which happens to boast of the greatest torque capacity rating of any Super T10. ........... As years progressed, new lower-ratio gear sets were developed, and by 1980, a First-gear ratio of 3.42:1 was used with 301ci Pontiac and 305ci Chevy engines. The number of gear teeth required to achieve that ratio made the gears vulnerable.

The above speaks for itself .. wouldn't you say?

Here are the available gear-sets as listed by Richmond gear.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	t10.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	534540  

Last edited by 10secbird; 03-15-2020 at 06:14 PM.
Old 03-17-2020, 04:05 PM

So I have been looking around, and there is a tex racing ST10 not too far from me. Would be able to possibly trade from some parts I have...anyone have experience with these? It's not the T101 tranny but still a Super T10...
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-transmission...-10/1491914950

Old 03-17-2020, 09:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a t101 going in a project now. Sitting next to a stock t 10 it looks like a heavyweight vs a lightweight. The tailhousing has 5 bolts, the case is way thicker.
It will hold much more horsepower. The shifter set up on that one is great too.

Old 03-18-2020, 08:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin70TA View Post
So I have been looking around, and there is a tex racing ST10 not too far from me. Would be able to possibly trade from some parts I have...anyone have experience with these? It's not the T101 tranny but still a Super T10...
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-transmission...-10/1491914950
That's a helluva deal considering the rod-end linkage/shifter. However, it may not fit within the confines of a f-body. The shifter is located way to high.

Last edited by Larry Navarro; 03-18-2020 at 08:56 AM.
Old 03-18-2020, 08:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip Fix View Post
So you banged the gears hard on the new tranny?
Hey Skip! Yes but I ditched the drag radials after grenading the last tranny. I'm running Nitto 555's street tires now, so the bite is not near as "tacky".

Old 03-20-2020, 06:37 PM

Picked up the transmission today and decided against the shifter for now, ill first see how things fit and go from there (moving the motor back and down in the car)
Transmission looks perfect, really happy I grab this and won't have to worry about the other tranny