Old 06-05-2017, 02:38 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Eyebrow stripe on '71 GTO

Hi everyone. I read and reread all the threads on eyebrow stripes for a '71 GTO. I'm just trying to make sure I understand it correctly before I make a decision and place an order. For the plain, non Judge GTO in 71, you could order eyebrow stripes under option #D98. These would be color wise, either black and red or white and red. They would also fit identical to where the Judge stripes were applied. Now, with the Judge option, then you would automatically get 3 stripes and they would be more befitting to your car color. Would all of the above be accurate??? I like stripes a lot and I'm on the verge of making a decision. I'm sure I'll buy something. I really like the 3 stripes-yellow-green-white that you see on a Tropical Lime Green Judge. That is the same color I have and really makes the paint pop. I'm not a 100% purist at heart, but I don't think I have the courage to use those 3 stripe colors on mine. I got yelled at here for using a Buick sticker on my air cleaner lid. Hard to tell what might happen to me if I use Judge stripes on my plain GTO LOL. Only teasing of course. I will probably go with the red and white stripe. I think the red will go quite nicely with the new red line tires. Any thoughts/suggestions?? Thank you, Carmine.

Old 06-05-2017, 04:14 PM

I tend to like the two tone stripe (red/white) better for the GTO's. It was only available the one year and only an option at that, so its kinda rare, but the Judge stripes are more pronounced. Do whatever you want to do its your car and you will be the one who will spend the most time looking and enjoying it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GTO Green.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	456315   Click image for larger version

Name:	GTO 2.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	456316   Click image for larger version

Name:	GTO 3 stripe.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	456317  

Steve in Arizona

Old 06-05-2017, 06:01 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I just visited the UltimateGTO.com site and was surprised at the number of '71 GTO's that had the stripping. I can't say that the majority had the stripes, but they had a good showing. Appeared to be about evenly split between the 2 stripe and 3 stripe version which some used without trying to clone a Judge. Certainly interesting to look at. Still undecided but will have to make a decision soon, Carmine.

Old 06-05-2017, 07:43 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Put the one that you like the best, don't worry about what some stranger might think. You probably need to consider whether or not you're going to install a vinyl top

How about some pics with the new redlines

Old 06-05-2017, 09:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I tend to agree with New64, if the car didn't come originally with the Stripes why not add the 3 stripe you like.

Last edited by ponchjoe; 06-05-2017 at 10:01 PM.
Old 06-05-2017, 10:12 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW64OWNER View Post
Put the one that you like the best, don't worry about what some stranger might think. You probably need to consider whether or not you're going to install a vinyl top

How about some pics with the new redlines
I guess it will come down to that; 2 or 3 stripes. Wish they weren't so expensive. I'd buy one of each and tape them on to see what I like best.
While browsing through some other sites, I saw pics of some serious rust when the vinyl top was removed. YIKES!! I don't have as strong a desire for a vinyl top as I once had. Haven't eliminated it all together, but I don't think so. Especially with any eyebrow stripes. I don't think those stripes and vinyl top look good together.
I have the 4 new redline tires, honeycomb rims, trim rings and center caps, all ready to go. Just have to find time to take them to my tire shop to get mounted. I will post some pics when they are ready. Some interior parts came in and I've been working on that. Just about done with the dyeing. Have just the driver bucket left to do. Not sure if I mentioned it previously, but to dye the dash properly, I had the windshield taken out. There was just no way for me to tape it off and make it look nice. I thought it was interesting how they removed it. Rear shelf came in today and I'm expecting the carpet any day now. It's coming along. Hopefully, it will be the way I want it by July 1st, Carmine.

Old 06-05-2017, 10:16 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default There is only one choice....

If your car is tropical lime, there is only one choice! Yellow/Green/White

The two stripe option colors will look terrible with that color. I used the same YGW on my 455 HO GTO (Laurentian Green) and they made the car! Get them from Phoenix Graphics!

Old 06-06-2017, 01:19 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971/455/HO/4-SPD View Post

The two stripe option colors will look terrible with that color. I used the same YGW on my 455 HO GTO (Laurentian Green) and they made the car! Get them from Phoenix Graphics!
pic?

Old 06-06-2017, 06:19 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:

I saw several with that color combo stripe; yellow, green and white. The stripes were on a Tropical Lime green car. Some, had the stripes and complete Judge decal package installed. Guess they were making a tribute car. Others had just the eyebrow stripes which looked outstanding. At this time, I have no desire to clone my car to a Judge. I'd be happy with just the stripes. I've looked at the Phoenix Graphics website and they make some nice products. Will order from them when it's time, Carmine.

Old 06-07-2017, 12:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

The two stripe option colors will look terrible with that color.
If Pontiac made at least one of the two colors available for that green, how terrible could it look?

Old 06-07-2017, 06:02 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I want to thank everyone for their input. I do appreciate what is offered and I don't discount anything. I think I've given this issue more time and thought then anything else I did to the car. I think because once the stripes are purchased and applied and I don't like them, I might be stuck with them. I don't know if you can get them off without damaging the paint underneath which is very nice. So, this certainly requires a lot of thought on my part. My car is going to be a nice daily driver. It's certainly not concourse but I don't want to stray too far from factory either. The factory vinyl top is gone and replaced with a painted roof, I'm putting redlines on honeycomb wheels, the interior-seat covers and door panels-are from what, I don't know and don't forget, I have that Buick decal on my air cleaner lid LOL. So, a purist, I'm not. I've spent some time at Phoenix Graphics and I really like the yellow-green-white eyebrow stripes. You can buy just these stripes and nothing else. I haven't ordered anything yet, but I really don't see why I wouldn't order these. I think they will go great with the Tropical Lime paint. My carpeting also arrived yesterday. Ames previously sent me samples and I selected an olive green color. It should look real nice. Anything is better then that railroad salvage reject carpet that was in the car. One other thing, I'm going to buy and install the rear deck lid spoiler, I think that's what it's called. I very much like the looks of that, Carmine.

Old 06-07-2017, 08:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This is what it will look like.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1090.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	456455  

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 06-07-2017, 08:26 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I do like that a whole lot. Those stripes look great with that Tropical Lime green paint. Even has the honeycomb wheels and spoiler. Thank you for the pic, Carmine.

Old 06-07-2017, 09:27 PM
Senior Chief

Old picture of a 71 GT-37, Tropical lime with the red/white stripes.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	71_GT37.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	456456  

Old 06-08-2017, 06:34 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigGT37 View Post
Old picture of a 71 GT-37, Tropical lime with the red/white stripes.
Thanks for the pic. Those colors aren't too bad either, but I think the others make the paint pop more. Really get your attention, Carmine.

Old 06-11-2017, 07:58 PM
Senior Chief

I say install the stripes you really like. 99%+ of the people who see your car will have absolutely no idea they are not original or "correct" anyway. My T-37 has bucket seats from a LeMans Sport. You know how many people have come up to me at cruises and pointed out they are incorrect in a T-37? Zero! Do whatcha like!

1971 T-37 Laurentian Green/Sandalwood buckets
455/1971 #96 heads/TH400/3.31 12-bolt posi/4-wheel discs
Old 06-12-2017, 06:15 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric71T37 View Post
I say install the stripes you really like. 99%+ of the people who see your car will have absolutely no idea they are not original or "correct" anyway. My T-37 has bucket seats from a LeMans Sport. You know how many people have come up to me at cruises and pointed out they are incorrect in a T-37? Zero! Do whatcha like!
Thanks. I made a decision and ordered the 3 stripes-yellow, white and green, from Phoenix Graphics on Friday. Just the stripes and nothing else. Gave it a lot of thought. I'm not going to clone this car into a Judge. I just happen to like the stripes a lot. I plan on taking this car to shows when I'm done and I see some questions being asked about the stripes, which I'll answer truthfully. Thanks everyone for all your input. I'll post some pics when I'm done, Carmine.

Old 06-12-2017, 06:35 AM
Senior Chief

You have chosen...wisely.

1971 T-37 Laurentian Green/Sandalwood buckets
455/1971 #96 heads/TH400/3.31 12-bolt posi/4-wheel discs
Old 06-12-2017, 10:29 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric71T37 View Post
You have chosen...wisely.
I agree, the three color stripe will look fantastic on a green car. I put those stripes on my Verdoro Green 70 GTO conv and now the car just pops. I've had nothing but compliments.

Old 06-12-2017, 11:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Stripes and wings are cool on GTOs. Local car show crowd like it as much as me!