THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 08-21-2023, 07:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Is there no Honor these days?

Every year far back as I can remember we put up a sweet corn stand down at the road. My brother puts one out at his place. We plant and grow about 1.25 acres of sweet corn which is a LOT if you figure we set the planter at 22,000 seeds per acre and about 90 percent make it and at least 50 percent of those have two ears per stock.

It's always went well. We don't sit down there at the stand, it has a plastic ice cream bucket with a slot cut in the lid to drop the money in. The lid comes off if you need to make change and I typically leave about $10-14 in $1 bills down there for that purpose. I check it 3-4 times a day, and put more corn out and have never had an issue.......until this year.

From the second day I set up the stand the math isn't working out. I've went down multiple times and noticed corn missing, money pale is empty or a LOT less in it than their should be.

My brother is experiencing the same thing. Since we advertise on Facebook and put up signs at the end of the road we get a lot of customers. In all previous years we've not only never had any issues folks typically leave a little more money than what we're asking so we make out pretty good with it.

Well this year we are being targeted by theives. Corn missing when there is no money in the bucket and money missing from the bucket. So I bought a lock box and attached it to my table with 3" long construction screws figuring that would help.

Nope, went down last night and the lid was pried off the box and all the money gone. Lovely! I guess in these post-COVID times we're going to have to take more drastic measures.........

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cliff R For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2023, 07:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thats a shame. I am in a pretty rural area and there are a lot of veggie stands like you describe. I often wonder how honest people are with them, now I know! There is even a guy that sells firewood that way that I went to a couple of times. I guess its time to put up a security camera in plain sight, even if its not hooked up to anything it may still be a deterrent. Typical though, some a*&%*&^*& ruins it for the honest people.

The Following User Says Thank You to TAKerry For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2023, 07:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Unfortunately Cliff, I am not surprised by this, just saddened. Proper behavior has to be taught, it is not innate. Obviously, what is being taught is how to beat the system, how to be a better cheat, scammer, liar, etc. If you decide to go the camera route, I would hide it or it will be stolen/destroyed right along with the money jar and your corn. I bet if you went to local law enforcement about your situation YOU would be the guilty party. They would say something like "what kind of idiot leaves product out in plain view with a money jar for Gods sake?". You have just created an "attractive nuisance" . Sad state of affairs.

Last edited by mgarblik; 08-21-2023 at 07:59 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2023, 08:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Bummer. Could be just 1 person. Perhaps a trail camera

Upstate NY has such honor system stands for Honey and eggs, and dandelion flowers. Bought a quart tested it and went back for more. Dropped over $72 in the honor bucket. We thought about selling eggs in AL that way..maybe. Just not enough eggs.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Half-Inch Stud For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2023, 08:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Sorry this is happening. Probably many reasons,drugs,greed,challenge among gang. We have the same little stands here,vegetables, little money can. At St Vincent DePaul where I volunteer on Mondays, witnessed people changing prices or removing price tags to get cheaper price.We were told let them go it's on them.Locally in my township man defrauded people. The DA in San Francisco got him, about 3 yrs in jail but has to turn over millions in assets. All on the net/phone. Still its disheartening. Thrashing,large potato sack and a baseball bat,probably wouldn't help.

The Following User Says Thank You to sdbob For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2023, 08:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

One person ruining it for everyone else.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Andre For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2023, 08:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes, this is really sad. They (the folks doing the stealing) have enough time on their hands that they figure these things out.

It's NOT a coincidence that both of us are getting ripped off in the same fashion.

I put a note up this morning when I set every thing back up, because I do have cameras watching for me.......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5626.jpg
Views:	714
Size:	124.2 KB
ID:	618547  

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cliff R For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2023, 08:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Drug addicts

Old 08-21-2023, 08:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That is a shame. Values not taught in the home. Just blame society, video games, teachers, etc. instead. My parents grew up in small towns in Ohio. Left their keys in their cars. Never locked their houses. Try that now.

Old 08-21-2023, 08:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Ya, it's a shame and I've got them on camera doing it. PERFECT pics in the act.

So let's say I go the KSO and file a report, they upload from my disc and find them.

Now I get summoned to Court, sit their most of the day while they wade thru the case load to get to mine, just to have them plead not-guilty and they'll schedule another hearing. Then at the next hearing they'll just get some sort of minor slap on the hand, probation, and right back on the street.

That'll be nearly two days out of the shop and part of my life I'll never get back for a lousy $40 lock box, a couple dozen ears of corn and less than $100 in cash......NONE of which I'll get any restitution for, not to mention the $1000 in income for the time out of the shop.
Chit, I woln't even get paid back for the fuel I had to put in my vehicle to attend both hears..........it's just not worth it.........

The Following User Says Thank You to Cliff R For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2023, 09:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff R View Post

So let's say I go the KSO and file a report, they upload from my disc and find them.

Now I get summoned to Court, sit their most of the day while they wade thru the case load to get to mine, just to have them plead not-guilty and they'll schedule another hearing. Then at the next hearing they'll just get some sort of minor slap on the hand, probation, and right back on the street.

That'll be nearly two days out of the shop and part of my life I'll never get back for a lousy $40 lock box, a couple dozen ears of corn and less than $100 in cash......NONE of which I'll get any restitution for, not to mention the $1000 in income for the time out of the shop.
Chit, I woln't even get paid back for the fuel I had to put in my vehicle to attend both hears..........it's just not worth it.........

IF you get summoned to court.

Lots of stolen stuff down here with vid evidence. Nothing ever happens.

Old 08-21-2023, 09:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

There's a lot of roadside farm stands around here that operate on the honor system. Thankfully no bad actors as of yet.

The Police wont do jack chit, and even if they did, like you said you'll be tied up in court just for a clerk magistrate or judge to hand out a slap on the wrist.

It's better to catch them in the act and give em a beatdown with an extendable night stick. Just dont forget to delete the camera footage afterwards.

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 72projectbird For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2023, 09:02 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff R View Post

It’s like restoring a car, you know your going to loose money on it in the end but it’s all about the satisfaction!!

Old 08-21-2023, 09:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Print the photos and tape them up on the stand? Everyone who comes along (including them when they come back) will know they've been identified. Might scare them enough to prevent further activity...

Old 08-21-2023, 09:49 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Post the pics and back story on Facebook. Public shaming might have some effect.

Old 08-21-2023, 10:15 AM
Senior Chief

I had been buying corn and tomatoes from an unoccupied stand at the end of a farm driveway for 8-9 years. Two years ago I started noticing that the coffee can was empty at times, no big deal, I just left a little more without change. After talking with the farmer one day, it turns out the same thing had been happening and he wasn't sure if he would continue. Sure enough the stand was gone last year.

Growing up my grandparent's front door lock at the farm had long been broken so they used a butter knife to wedge it when they left.... now we panic if we think we forgot to lock up on short errands. Sad.

Old 08-21-2023, 10:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63 Pontiac View Post
Post the pics and back story on Facebook. Public shaming might have some effect.
Facebook might frown on shaming thieves. Print pictures, and leave them at the stand. Leave extras there for those who are interested in spreading the word about his crooked antics. Shouldn't have been opportunistic in the first place, but he most definitely should've backed off when a lockbox appeared.

Old 08-21-2023, 10:21 AM

If nobody signs the complaints or is willing to show up for court the system gets perverted and the losers win

Old 08-21-2023, 10:44 AM
Senior Chief

I hope the thieves are detoured by the note and future actions are not required,
Posting the pictures is a logical next step if needed..

As posted above the only way the courts work at all, is if victims can participate in the process.

Old 08-21-2023, 11:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Same crap happening up here, friend has an egg stand with camera and notification sensors, they can watch people open the cartons and go thru them to
make sure they get all the xtra large eggs. Plus they have people stealing like your situation.