Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 06-17-2019, 07:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Control arm ball joint

Ok, now that I beat that Fast ratio gearbox to death, got the new box today, got to get a different rag joint and see how that works.

Ok new issue, seems I have the stock lower mount and God knows what the top mount is, I have the moog upper and lower ball joints to install...………...seems like looking at the top mount......do I have to take that all apart to get that ball joint pressed out.

Any get the upper mounts from umi……….at least they have the ball joint already installed.

Rich

Old 06-17-2019, 07:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

seems like I missed something there.... like a pic
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Control arms (2).jpg
Views:	700
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	514372  

Old 06-18-2019, 06:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtorich View Post
Ok, now that I beat that Fast ratio gearbox to death, got the new box today, got to get a different rag joint and see how that works.

Ok new issue, seems I have the stock lower mount and God knows what the top mount is, I have the moog upper and lower ball joints to install...………...seems like looking at the top mount......do I have to take that all apart to get that ball joint pressed out.

Any get the upper mounts from umi……….at least they have the ball joint already installed.

Rich
I pressed out the lower ball joint with free rental ball joint press from O'Reilly. The kit includes various steps and sleeve adapters to squeeze it out the bottom. Not a bad job, really, after you get your steering knuckle removed.
Vid link... This "klown" uses a hammer to remove it, and the press to put the new one in. I used the press for both in and out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EBDAgbJjjI

Old 06-18-2019, 08:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks Squid, I think I can manage that bottom one, was wondering if I could do that with the top ball joint...…...was hoping I didn't have to pull that upper arm out to do it.

Don't even know the brand of upper arm I have, supposed the ball joint was already on when they put in on the car.

Worse part, getting new front springs...……..yeah I can see this going south real fast.

Rich

Old 06-18-2019, 02:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Was wondering if someone could recommend a good upper tubular control arm that you are using on a 66-67...….

Nothing against the stock one...…….im just use to seeing this type.

Rich

Old 06-18-2019, 08:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The top ball joint bolts in after you grind the rivet heads off the factory ones

Old 06-18-2019, 09:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

64speed, thinking this tubular arm isn't factory...…...I don't see a rivet anywhere, its just a mess up there I cant see anything right.

Rich

Old 06-18-2019, 10:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtorich View Post
Was wondering if someone could recommend a good upper tubular control arm that you are using on a 66-67...….

Nothing against the stock one...…….im just use to seeing this type.

Rich
Consider getting SPC upper control arms with tall upper ball joints, they're fully adjustable and you can adjust for + camber and caster. Makes a huge difference in handling.

Old 06-19-2019, 12:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Oh I missed the part about non factory arms my bad