THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 10-26-2023, 02:28 AM

I'm a 36 year old millennial. None of us are retiring. LOL

Old 10-26-2023, 06:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My dad retired at 53 in 2002. I thought I'd be on the same path at the same company but I was laid off after 13yrs there in 2012.

I'm currently 50 and I wouldn't say I'm semi retired. I'm a stay at home dad that shuffles kids and wife here there and everywhere. My wife is visually impaired to the point she can no longer drive. She has been this way for almost 5 years since we moved to Florida. She's a few years younger than me. Thankfully though, she makes very good money. I figure she'll work for another 12 to 15 years.

I'm a Realtor and I figure I'll be working until I'm 70. I basically work on referral and have a few closings a year. I hope to work more next year when I stop having to drive the youngest kid to and from school every day. That will free up multiple hours per week and allow me to focus on my business more. That said, anyone looking to move to the SW part of Florida (Tampa down to Marco) let me know. I'd be honored to help you. I can even help you in other parts of FL but my knowledge base is in the area's I mentioned. Thanks!

The Following User Says Thank You to Mr_GTO For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2023, 07:55 AM
Senior Chief

I been working as a consulting engineer and will turn 62 in February. I have been on a glidepath to retirement and currently work 30 hours per week. Trying to decide whether to go to 20 hours and continue to receive benefits (most importantly health insurance), or just quit altogether and pay for health insurance. Wife and I are in decent shape, but paying out of pocket is looking ugly. I will have things to do, house needs 30 years of deferred maintenance and wife wants a new giant deck. I hate to admit it, but the cars just dont have the same lure for me anymore. Maybe with more time things will change. two grown daughters, but no grandkids, and nothing on the horizon. Figure I have maybe fifteen years of ability to do stuff -grandfather lived to 100 and was physically active into his late eighties. Mom and Dad are in their mid-eighties and will demanding alot more of my time shortly. There are three of us kids, so not on my own with that, but still hard to watch them going down. I do dread the idea of downsizing and losing my garage. Dont know why, but fixing stuff is what I like and take pride in. Losing that ability would really suck.