Old 10-26-2023, 01:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Great find, and I really like the red/red color combo. Over here on the east coast, my son is patiently pursuing a neighbor's one-owner blue/blue 66 convertible bought new in California. It's nice to see them coming to light again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	66 barn.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	622270   Click image for larger version

Name:	66 engine.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	622271   Click image for larger version

Name:	66 tag.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	622272  

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 400 4spd. For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2023, 01:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400 4spd. View Post
Great find, and I really like the red/red color combo. Over here on the east coast, my son is patiently pursuing a neighbor's one-owner blue/blue 66 convertible bought new in California. It's nice to see them coming to light again.
Another nice ‘66.
Fontaine Blue met. with Ivory Top.
Dark Blue interior.

Plus a #616 A.I.R. car.

Good luck to your son hoping he can secure it someday.

1) 65 GTO Survivor. 43,440 Original Miles. “Factory” Mayfair Maize Paint with Black Pinstripe, Black Cordova Top, Black Interior, OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Purchased from the Lady that bought it new. Baltimore Built (11A).
2) 66 GTO Survivor. “Factory” Cameo Ivory Paint with Red Pinstripe, Red Interior. OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Tri-Power (OEM Vacuum Linkage), Automatic "YR" code (1759 Produced). Fremont Built (01B), with the Rare 614 Option.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 60sstuff For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2023, 02:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400 4spd. View Post
Looks much nicer than mine, at least body and top-wise! Engine has been repainted '65 turquoise, so may be rebuilt. Super cool cars. Keep us updated!!

Old 10-26-2023, 03:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What are people doing with the single reservoir manual brakes? Anyone OK with just leaving them as-is?
My first car had them and I don't recall being afraid but I was 16.. .;-)

Last edited by Greg Reid; 10-26-2023 at 03:26 PM.
Old 10-26-2023, 03:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
What are people doing with the single reservoir manual brakes? Anyone OK with just leaving them as-is?
My first car had them and I don't recall being afraid but I was 16.. .;-)
Not sure of your question?
Both my OEM ‘65 and ‘66 single master cylinders were sent out to be s/s sleeved and seals.
They work perfectly fine just as they were intended when the cars were new.
Also did the same to all 4 wheel cylinders.

1) 65 GTO Survivor. 43,440 Original Miles. “Factory” Mayfair Maize Paint with Black Pinstripe, Black Cordova Top, Black Interior, OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Purchased from the Lady that bought it new. Baltimore Built (11A).
2) 66 GTO Survivor. “Factory” Cameo Ivory Paint with Red Pinstripe, Red Interior. OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Tri-Power (OEM Vacuum Linkage), Automatic "YR" code (1759 Produced). Fremont Built (01B), with the Rare 614 Option.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 60sstuff For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2023, 04:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That's exactly what I'm asking about, that is, how many have chosen to skip a dual master, power brake upgrade and drive it as it was designed.

Last edited by Greg Reid; 10-26-2023 at 04:45 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Greg Reid For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2023, 05:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Been running original single pot master cylinders on all my cars that came with them for 45+ years. 1930's and 40's cars, my '61 Corvette, '65 and '66 GTO's over the years, etc.
The drum brakes will lock a wheel as well as a disc on a panic stop....just not many times in a row. Disc brakes up front are a legit upgrade, in the rear are a waste and a down-grade, IMO. I drive 4 wheel drums both power and manual and have for decades and hundreds of thousands of miles and I'm still here. But then, I don't talk on the phone or eat while driving.

Old 10-26-2023, 05:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well, that's about the way I feel about it, just wondered if I was the lone ranger here. I'm a pretty conservative driver anyway so I don't foresee many sudden stops at the end of a quarter mile. Like everything else on the car, maintenance is the key to proper operation.

Old 10-27-2023, 12:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My only complaint with the single pot is what happens when you have a slow leak somewhere? One stop, you have brakes. The next stop, you don't.

I know, keep an eye on the level, proper maintenance, all that. But more than one time, I've had a leaky wheel cylinder or a pin hole in an old line, oozing soft line, etc... and sure enough. Empty Master! But I just checked it last week?! Oh wait, I guess that was a few hundred miles and dozens & dozens of stops ago...

With the dual reservoirs, it's never a problem. You still have two wheels doing the stopping, and you can feel the difference in the pedal the first time the cylinder goes dry. Easy fix after that, and I have no worry factor.

Granted, all of mine are 67 and up, so all factory equipped with dual Master's, but if I had a 66 or older, I'm pretty sure that would be the first thing I would change if I was planning to drive it all the time. That's just been my experience.

'74 Bonneville 4dr Sedan (455/TH400/2.93 open)
'72 LeMans GT (455/M-13/3.23 [8.5"] posi)
'71 GTO Hardtop (400/TH400/3.07 12 bolt posi)
‘71 GTO Convertible (455HO/TH400/3.23 posi)
'67 GTO Coupe (455/ST-10/2.93 posi)
'67 Tempest Wagon (428/TH400/2.56 posi)

Deuteronomy 8:3
The Following User Says Thank You to Mister Pontiac For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2023, 08:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Well, it'll be a long way before I get to that point. I know I'm not doing discs anywhere but I may go dual and I may be convinced to go power while I'm doing it. Been a long time since I've had a manual brake car.

Old 10-27-2023, 12:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Pontiac View Post
My only complaint with the single pot is what happens when you have a slow leak somewhere? One stop, you have brakes. The next stop, you don't.

I know, keep an eye on the level, proper maintenance, all that. But more than one time, I've had a leaky wheel cylinder or a pin hole in an old line, oozing soft line, etc... and sure enough. Empty Master! But I just checked it last week?! Oh wait, I guess that was a few hundred miles and dozens & dozens of stops ago...

With the dual reservoirs, it's never a problem. You still have two wheels doing the stopping, and you can feel the difference in the pedal the first time the cylinder goes dry. Easy fix after that, and I have no worry factor.

Granted, all of mine are 67 and up, so all factory equipped with dual Master's, but if I had a 66 or older, I'm pretty sure that would be the first thing I would change if I was planning to drive it all the time. That's just been my experience.
40 years ago I blew the left front rubber brake hose on the '65 after I pulled of the freeway near the end of my 51 mile drive to work. Was on a local expressway about half a mile from my shop when the light was turning red and I applied the brakes, but the pedal kept on going and the car kept on going. I was in third gear going 40-ish mph and shifted down into second and applied the parking brake gently and got the car stopped. When the light changed, I limped it into our parking lot and changed out the hose at lunch time. I was a mechanic at the time and kept everything ship-shape, and still do, but this was a first. In the 40 years since, I have never blown another rubber brake line. I've had them get clogged internally and get brittle and cracked and signal needed replacement, but never had one blow out. At the time, the car was 20 years old and so was the rubber line. I am ok with running single pot master cylinders. But hey, I drive 100 year old cars with no seat belts and motorcycles, too. That said, there is NO disadvantage other than appearance of upgrading to a dual master. And it is FOR SURE safer.

Old 11-10-2023, 05:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Drove the GTO yesterday to get gas and shake it down. About 4 miles. Tires are petrified and not safe. The clutch was stuck but freed up easily by putting it in reverse and hitting the starter with my foot on the brake. The engine runs like a Swiss watch, but has blowby out of the breather. On hard acceleration, I get blue smoke from both pipes. It's whisper quiet, with the smoothest, most silent Muncie I've ever driven. No vibrations, rattles, etc. The plan now is to replace the broken front windshield, fix the windshield gutter area, install the new convertible top, install the new interior, buff out what's left of the paint, put new tires on it, and start driving it. If the rings don't 'come around' and it keeps pumping oil, I'll pull the engine and rebuild it. But at least by then it will be a complete car and not just a resurrected shell, which is what it is now.

Old 11-11-2023, 10:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeteeohguy View Post
But hey, I drive 100 year old cars with no seat belts and motorcycles, too.
I knew I liked you, Jeff.

Incidentally, great to hear you have the 66 out and about! More pics too, please.

'74 Bonneville 4dr Sedan (455/TH400/2.93 open)
'72 LeMans GT (455/M-13/3.23 [8.5"] posi)
'71 GTO Hardtop (400/TH400/3.07 12 bolt posi)
‘71 GTO Convertible (455HO/TH400/3.23 posi)
'67 GTO Coupe (455/ST-10/2.93 posi)
'67 Tempest Wagon (428/TH400/2.56 posi)

Deuteronomy 8:3
The Following User Says Thank You to Mister Pontiac For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2023, 02:36 PM
Senior Chief

Thanks for taking the time to document this amazing car! Agree with your approach, enjoy! Is all the exhaust original?

Old 11-20-2023, 07:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Did a panic stop on my van many years ago... heard a pop and the pedal dropped further, but it stopped. rear line blew due to rust.

I won't trust a single reservoir master.
I understand keeping a car original but draw the line at safety improvements.

George

Old 11-20-2023, 08:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Congrats!! Cool car

Old 11-22-2023, 07:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloan66 View Post
Thanks for taking the time to document this amazing car! Agree with your approach, enjoy! Is all the exhaust original?
The manifolds have never been off, and the headpipes look original. The mufflers were replaced in the '70's and the resonators were not re-installed with the new tailpipes at that time. As it is, it's whisper quiet. No exhaust leaks at all. Click image for larger version

Name:	pans.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	623621

Name:	pass quarter.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	623622

Old 12-08-2023, 03:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Name:	DSS.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	624683

Name:	A Arm OEM.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	624684

Name:	Tool.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	624685

Name:	spring.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	624686Did the front Upper A arm bushings. They were the originals. Original ball joints were/are still nice and tight, so were left alone. I've never had a set of bushings fight me so bad, but then, these have been in place since 1966. I noticed the factory paper tags are still on the front springs. LOL.

Old 12-08-2023, 05:08 PM

Nice original car that just needs a few things as one might expect.

You hit the jackpot on this sweet ragtop GTO.

The Following User Says Thank You to b-man For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2023, 04:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Name:	IMG_0321.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	142.8 KB
ID:	624723
Quote:
Originally Posted by b-man View Post
Nice original car that just needs a few things as one might expect.

You hit the jackpot on this sweet ragtop GTO.
I agree. Most stuff is simply worn out or tarnished. Nothing was really broken or abused. Just honest wear and tear from being used as 24/7/365 transportation for 15 years and then, thankfully, parked inside a garage with the interior stored inside the house!
Windshield channel and glass next on the list, then onto re-installing the interior and some new tires. I have an original set of old Rally I's for the car I'm going to use.