THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 04-27-2020, 11:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default So where are the "Incredible Deals" on new and late model used cars?

Posting this for a friend of mine. We are all hearing how the economy is absolutely shredded from the effects of the national lockdown, unemployment, and the effects on the entire US economy. A friend of mine has been saving faithfully for four years to buy a Mustang GT. He is looking for a 2018-2020 Coupe with the performance package and the 10 speed transmission. There are plenty of them out there, and ABSOLUTELY NO DEALS I can find in national searches. We are talking no more than 2-3K off the inflated sticker prices and none under 28K with 25,000 miles on them and 3 years old. Basically the same prices as before this "economic disaster" began. Wonder what gives? Sounds like Ford doesn't really want to sell any cars. He has cash.

Old 04-27-2020, 11:33 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The main economic effects from this mess haven't been felt yet, IMO. I'd be patient as Ford circles the drain.

Old 04-27-2020, 11:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

i dont know..but ive sold more parts in the last month than the last 6..i see no crippling economy etc...

The Goat whisperer

"I spent a lot of my money on booze, crazy women, and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."

Old 04-27-2020, 11:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You need to negotiate directly with dealers to get the best prices. They can ( and will) sell you a new car for $200 over invoice, but they aren’t going to advertise that fact. You need to do your research and call ‘em.

As I got better at negotiating, I went from buying low mileage 1 year old lease returns to just buying new cars - I found that I can get them cheaper.

I’m sure that car dealers have at least slowed down a bit - and they would love the chance to move more product. This always means they are ready to deal.

Old 04-27-2020, 12:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If he's looking at used cars, I don't think Ford Motor Company has anything to do with the asking prices. As far as that goes I suspect Mustangs just aren't gong to be discounted that much. If he was looking for a minivan or SUV it may be a different story.

Old 04-27-2020, 12:10 PM
Suspended

Currently in the process now. It seems these dealers aren't worried or even concern about what is going on outside their windows. Called one last Wednesday, he returned my call an hour ago. Dealt with 3 other dealers and (out of the kindness of their heart) they are willing to move $125.00 - $150.00 off of sticker. The only deal out there is special low financing and that is only on "select" models that not many people want.

These places are acting like nothing ever happen and buyers are falling out of the sky.

Old 04-27-2020, 12:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The dealers in my area have been jamming my inbox with all sorts of deals and promotions to get me to buy a car. The prices though... aren't any lower than normal.

Everyone is acting like nothing happened in the hopes that they can float along for another few months and avoid taking a hit. If things continue on longer, eventually they'll run out of cash to sustain themselves and employees will take the hit.

Old 04-27-2020, 12:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris65LeMans View Post
You need to negotiate directly with dealers to get the best prices. They can ( and will) sell you a new car for $200 over invoice, but they aren’t going to advertise that fact. You need to do your research and call ‘em.

As I got better at negotiating, I went from buying low mileage 1 year old lease returns to just buying new cars - I found that I can get them cheaper.
I found the same. Especially with pickup trucks. Im no expert but I have found the best deals to be the last of the new last years models on the lot. When I was shopping last, the "Certified Pre Owned" trucks were like maybe 1-$2000 cheaper than new. Ill pay $2000 for 0 miles instead of 30k.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports
Old 04-27-2020, 02:37 PM
Senior Chief

Up here dealers are laying off people, I know three salespeople who have been laid off. So it must be or soon will be, that if you have the money to buy, you should be able to get big price reduction. They may be able to sit on some inventory, but eventually they will be crying for customers.

Parts and stuff like that may be different as people who are off work (paid to stay home) are working on projects to stay busy.

Old 04-27-2020, 02:51 PM
Senior Chief

i went last saturday to the biggest ford dealer in new england to look at a 2018 explorer and they would not budge 200.00 dollars to make a sale but wanted to give me peanuts for my 2015 fusion with 18.000 miles

Old 04-27-2020, 02:55 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocktimusPryme View Post
I found the same. Especially with pickup trucks. Im no expert but I have found the best deals to be the last of the new last years models on the lot. When I was shopping last, the "Certified Pre Owned" trucks were like maybe 1-$2000 cheaper than new. Ill pay $2000 for 0 miles instead of 30k.
But they are still considered 1 to 2 year old units in the books and the industry. I 1 year old vehicle loses a lot more than $2000.00. Hell, you almost lose that much at the hit of the key. Either buy brand new or 2 to 3 years old with good to low miles.

Old 04-27-2020, 02:59 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69gp400 View Post
i went last saturday to the biggest ford dealer in new england to look at a 2018 explorer and they would not budge 200.00 dollars to make a sale but wanted to give me peanuts for my 2015 fusion with 18.000 miles
As nice as Fusions are (were), their value really crapped out when Ford killed them off. A '15 is still a 5 to 6 year old car to a new car store regardless of miles. You will find a better home for it by selling it yourself.

Old 04-27-2020, 03:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris65LeMans View Post

I’m sure that car dealers have at least slowed down a bit - and they would love the chance to move more product. This always means they are ready to deal.
If you get serious, most dealers will sell you a common model for Invoice or below just to move it and get the holdback. Might have to pay a little more for a hard to get model, but not much if it is in stock.

HONEST JERRY'S SPEED AND EQUIPMENT
Old 04-27-2020, 04:11 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry H. View Post
If you get serious, most dealers will sell you a common model for Invoice or below just to move it and get the holdback. Might have to pay a little more for a hard to get model, but not much if it is in stock.
True. That is why I'm having a tough time getting more than $150.00 off of sticker because the vehicle is a 2021 and hot right now. However, I used one of my connections about a 1/2 hour ago and iced a deal for a tad over $600.00 off sticker.

Old 04-27-2020, 05:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief of the 60's View Post
But they are still considered 1 to 2 year old units in the books and the industry. I 1 year old vehicle loses a lot more than $2000.00. Hell, you almost lose that much at the hit of the key. Either buy brand new or 2 to 3 years old with good to low miles.
I guess I get that, but in my personal case I still felt like it was the best deal at the time. I was looking at new 2018 Big Horns for like $36k. Or 2016s off a lease with 15-30k miles for like $33k. To me that 3k in savings wasn't worth it. I ended up buying a new 2017 Limited that had like a $60k sticker for $39k. So that probably tracks with they don't care how many miles because its a year old. To me it still seemed like more truck for the money with no miles on it. Reasonably people can disagree over value I guess.

I also got lucky because Chrysler was offering this Maximum care deal at the time that is basically an unlimited powertrain. When I paid off my truck this year I considered buying a new truck before I wrote the big check. But when I called and found out they stopped offering the crazy warranty I decided to keep mine and just make them fix it if it breaks.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports
Old 04-27-2020, 05:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief of the 60's View Post
Currently in the process now. It seems these dealers aren't worried or even concern about what is going on outside their windows. Called one last Wednesday, he returned my call an hour ago. Dealt with 3 other dealers and (out of the kindness of their heart) they are willing to move $125.00 - $150.00 off of sticker. The only deal out there is special low financing and that is only on "select" models that not many people want.

These places are acting like nothing ever happen and buyers are falling out of the sky.
That's similar to what he is experiencing, like nothing is any different from any other price gouging day at the new car dealer. The used cars he has been looking at are at new car dealers as well and no real deals. This friend of mine is an interesting character. Was a Pontiac guy his whole life and always saved his money and paid cash when he bought a car, usually every 10-15 years. In 2006 he went to a large Pontiac dealer to buy a GTO. They had the car he wanted on the showroom floor. Dark blue metallic exterior and a manual transmission. He was ready to buy and they WOULD NOT take it off the showroom floor so he could drive it. He was pissed. He pulled a huge wad of cash out out of his pocket, probably enough to buy the car and made sure the salesman took a good look. Got in his car and went to the Ford dealer and bought a Mustang GT 2 hours later. The rest is history. Now he is ready to do it again.

Old 04-27-2020, 05:31 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocktimusPryme View Post
I guess I get that, but in my personal case I still felt like it was the best deal at the time. I was looking at new 2018 Big Horns for like $36k. Or 2016s off a lease with 15-30k miles for like $33k. To me that 3k in savings wasn't worth it. I ended up buying a new 2017 Limited that had like a $60k sticker for $39k. So that probably tracks with they don't care how many miles because its a year old. To me it still seemed like more truck for the money with no miles on it. Reasonably people can disagree over value I guess.

I also got lucky because Chrysler was offering this Maximum care deal at the time that is basically an unlimited powertrain. When I paid off my truck this year I considered buying a new truck before I wrote the big check. But when I called and found out they stopped offering the crazy warranty I decided to keep mine and just make them fix it if it breaks.
Trucks are a whole different animal. Dealer know they have truck buyers by the kahunas. You can pretty much throw the book away when it comes to buying a new or used truck with new being quite often the better option.

Dodge currently has good deals on Warlocks which are not the current gen body style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
That's similar to what he is experiencing, like nothing is any different from any other price gouging day at the new car dealer. The used cars he has been looking at are at new car dealers as well and no real deals. This friend of mine is an interesting character. Was a Pontiac guy his whole life and always saved his money and paid cash when he bought a car, usually every 10-15 years. In 2006 he went to a large Pontiac dealer to buy a GTO. They had the car he wanted on the showroom floor. Dark blue metallic exterior and a manual transmission. He was ready to buy and they WOULD NOT take it off the showroom floor so he could drive it. He was pissed. He pulled a huge wad of cash out out of his pocket, probably enough to buy the car and made sure the salesman took a good look. Got in his car and went to the Ford dealer and bought a Mustang GT 2 hours later. The rest is history. Now he is ready to do it again.
LOL! That happen to me last year at a collector car dealer in Charlotte. I threw a stack of cash on the guy's desk for a black '05 T-bird. His eyes popped out and said "let me check with my dad". He came back and said his dad needed $499.95 more. I said "seriously"? "You're going to let me walk for $499.95"? He said "that's what dad needs". I collected my money and left.

Old 04-27-2020, 05:35 PM
Senior Chief

chief they still make the fusion and i understand its a 2015 which are still advertised on the same lot for 15.900 and i get offered 8000.00 and they wouldn"t budge on the explorer which is 15.000 more, hey i have the means so i"ll go elsewhere

Old 04-27-2020, 05:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you’re wanting a deal wait a while; Q2 is going to look pretty bad along with the unemployment numbers. Got a friend over at Ameritrade and this economy is looking to get much worse as the feds are having to prop the market.

‘22 Toyota Sequoia V8
‘23 Lexus LS500 awd
‘95 Ford F-super duty 4wd 7.3 p-stroke
& countless Jeeps & off road vehicles.
Old 04-27-2020, 05:59 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69gp400 View Post
chief they still make the fusion and i understand its a 2015 which are still advertised on the same lot for 15.900 and i get offered 8000.00 and they wouldn"t budge on the explorer which is 15.000 more, hey i have the means so i"ll go elsewhere
Ford was suppose to be killing it off. I thought they already did. That $15,900. number tells me they are either fishing or deal with sub-prime customers. What model (trim level) was theirs and what model (trim level) is yours?