Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 05-16-2019, 11:16 AM

Question Howards Roller lifters?

Has anyone used the new Howard's roller lifters on their Pontiac rides? I have always used Comp cams or Lunati cams Hydo lifters on my builds with no problems but not Howard's. I want to use one of their 4-7 swap cams for my next Pontiac engine build, but I'm on the fence about their kit. Should I just buy their cam and go with the Lunati lifters. Cost isn't a real big factory Lifter are said to be made in USA.

Old 05-16-2019, 12:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have never heard of issues with them, but if where talking open spring pressures over 700 psi it would be Lunati for me, there non needed Bearing type!

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
Old 05-16-2019, 01:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Used them once, and their version of SD's "Old Faithful" camshaft. It was not by choice one of those jobs where the customer tried to "manage" the job and bought EVERYTHING from various sources to get the absolute lowest price on each item.

They worked well and the engine made great power.........Cliff

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
Old 05-16-2019, 03:13 PM

Yea I'm just on the fence my son used their parts in a ls 4 motor that he built and all went well. I just bought a set of their Pontiac forged connecting rods to keep in stock. Look like real nice pieces as they also come in a plastic case and they claim there are USA made. I got them on a black Friday sale ended up costing around $589 from $899 They look like Crower rods, stock Pontiac size

Old 05-16-2019, 05:16 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I've been running their lifters for years on my car with no problems.

77 Trans Am, 469 w/ported E-Heads via Kauffman, matched HSD intake, Butler Performance forged rotating assembly, Comp custom hyd roller, Q-jet, Art Carr 200 4R, 3.42s, 3 inch exhaust w/Doug's cutouts, D.U.I. Ignition. 7.40 in the 8th, 11.61@116.07 in the quarter...still tuning.

Old 05-16-2019, 08:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The machine shop that we use here in Omaha uses Howard’s cams and lifters exclusively in engines (of all makes) they build after having trouble with other popular brands. He’s says their quality and service is excellent.

Where Pontiacs are concerned, I believe Howard’s hydraulic roller cores are only available with the 4/7 swap and the distributor drive gear is pressed on and constructed of cast-iron so a bronze or polymer distributor gear isn’t required. Things could have changed, but that was accurate as of a couple years back.

Old 05-16-2019, 09:53 PM
Senior Chief

I used Howard’s Hyd on my latest refresh last yr. used them yrs ago on Chevy builds. Never a issue. Local builder has been using them on all his builds. He did mine. I’m running a 400 lobe with 165s... there quiet and keep up at 6k. Many discussions on the oil band locations on different manufacturers but I did the lifter bore mod that’s been performed by many.

Old 05-16-2019, 11:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

After finding out it was going to take some time to get some Hylift roller lifters at GTOFREEKs recommendation I started looking at other lifters. I eventually decided on the Lunati because of positive reviews on other forums. I searched eBay looking for the best price and I found a guy selling a set of Lunatis for about half the going rate from his stalled project. I can’t remember what brand he said they were but my machinist said they were the same as another brand and we’re good quality. Maybe Morel?

Old 05-17-2019, 12:29 AM

Good to know

Old 05-17-2019, 07:35 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64speed View Post
Maybe Morel?
Maybe counterfeit?
Yes, there are many fake lifters for sale out there!

I will never buy from some guy on Ebay with the best price.

Old 05-17-2019, 11:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastry_chef View Post
Maybe counterfeit?
Yes, there are many fake lifters for sale out there!

I will never buy from some guy on Ebay with the best price.
These were Lunati lifters in the Lunati box with the Lunati markings on them. I’m not stupid

Old 05-17-2019, 11:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

From memory Lunati branded lifters are Morel Street Series lifters.

Old 05-17-2019, 11:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64speed View Post
These were Lunati lifters in the Lunati box with the Lunati markings on them. I’m not stupid
https://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/s...d.php?t=553474

If they were copying Morels in 2013, you can be damn sure there's a lot more out there...

Old 05-18-2019, 09:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 242177P View Post
https://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/s...d.php?t=553474

If they were copying Morels in 2013, you can be damn sure there's a lot more out there...
I said maybe Morel. My machinist said they were the same as another lifter. I was simply replying that I didnt buy some chinese lifter that I got real Lunati lifters in a Lunati box with Lunati Markings and part number

Old 05-18-2019, 09:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Don’t Get Ripped Off

“It started with products that just looked like ours. Now there are products actually marketed and sold with our logo. They’ve even copied our instructions!”
—Jesse Powell, Aeromotive

And other....

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/coun...tive-products/

Counterfeit auto parts are a booming business that could put you and everyone on the road around you at risk.

"The whole car, every part of the car, can be counterfeited," explained Robert C. Hutchinson, acting special agent in charge at the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement's Homeland Security Investigations Miami field office. "Our customs fraud group leads the nation in these investigations."

Sponsor of the world's fastest Pontiac powered Ford Fairmont (engine)
5.14 at 140 mph (1/8 mile) , true 10.5 tire, stock type suspension
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDoJnIP3HgE
Old 05-18-2019, 11:54 AM

What a great link. I knew this about some high end subs speakers from JL and electric items, but I didn't know it was HP products like rocker and lifters etc. I just went to buy a backup hard drive for my computer and was looking on Ebay for some ideas. I saw all different pricing and different info on the same items. I was aware of knock off on electric parts and I really didn't want to buy one off Ebay. I called the manufacturer WD for some help and info and he confirmed to me that if you buy it on Ebay and its not a named store like Best buy or Amazon that it will have no warranty on the part because of so many knock off on Ebay. I did buy it from Best Buy and it also happened to be on sale. This was one great link you posted and well worth the time to read it. Thanks for that posting.

Old 05-18-2019, 07:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

"Counterfeit auto parts are a booming business that could put you and everyone on the road around you at risk."

Here's another big trend, copying very expensive chainsaws in every detail, and getting away with it.

https://www.huztl.net/Complete-After...#goods_reviews

I know a local logger who buys these and puts OEM Stihs P/C's on them and good to go. He gets about 2-3 years out them running them just about every day. He can build 3 of them for the price of one real one..........Cliff

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),