Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 03-16-2002, 08:15 PM
Senior Chief

Next weekend,I plan on putting new headers on my 81 t/a. I have the summit brand,long tube headers. I tried to put them on,with the car on the ground,jacked up 6 inches,and the engine up. NO luck. I am going to brians to try again. (another story about that) The general idea is to jack the car up on jack stands,then the engine up and try. The problem we got was the long tubes would hit the ground,and prevent us from getting them up in the engine. anyone know any tricks of the trade? thanks.

Old 03-16-2002, 08:15 PM
Senior Chief

Next weekend,I plan on putting new headers on my 81 t/a. I have the summit brand,long tube headers. I tried to put them on,with the car on the ground,jacked up 6 inches,and the engine up. NO luck. I am going to brians to try again. (another story about that) The general idea is to jack the car up on jack stands,then the engine up and try. The problem we got was the long tubes would hit the ground,and prevent us from getting them up in the engine. anyone know any tricks of the trade? thanks.

Old 03-16-2002, 08:24 PM
Boost Engineer

Taller Jack Stands, A Hoist, a pit, Paul Bunyan,
a sky hook?
Actually, Charles, with Brian's help you will get
it using one of the methods above. (Most likely
the taller Jack Stands). Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 03-16-2002, 08:30 PM
Senior Chief

LOL,Thanks Tom. If brian goes to the April 7th race,I believe at M-D,I hope to meet some of you guys.

Old 03-16-2002, 08:30 PM
On Vacation

I have to get my car wayyyyyyyyyy up in the air and jack my engine up to do my headers as well. PITA for sure, but then think of all the laughs you'll have watching the Chevy guys try changing spark plugs later on.

Old 03-16-2002, 08:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There just ain't no easy way to do it!
Esspecially w/ the engine/trans in.

If the engine is out; I like to wire them in along the respective frame rails. Then lower the engine into place, being careful not to dent, smash, or f#ck up anything. Then bolt the mofos to the heads after everything is in place.
Just be sure not obscure the motor mounts, as you'll need to complete them prior to the headers.

SECOND AMENDMENT: AMERICA'S ORIGINAL HOMELAND SECURITY!
Old 03-17-2002, 12:19 AM

I put my headers on before I sit my motor in the mounts. Then again I have a four speed. I always cut out the flage between pipes. Then I cut the gaskets into three and notch the holes so you can slide'm in after the bolts are started. This makes the job 10 times easier. Having a friend around helps the most if nothing else for the camaraderie.
Also buy a bunch of header bolts set them on the air cleaner so you can just grab a new one instead of crawling under the car to grab the one you just droped. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

[ March 16, 2002: Message edited by: Tim Swain ]</p>

Old 03-17-2002, 12:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Way up in the air! If you didn't pull the oil filter adapter I have not found any second gen headers yet that can slip in there with it on.

Be prepared for them NOT to fit. Masy if not all headers I have installed on any car need to be tweaked at the least, a tube or two changed at the most.

I test fit some of Hookers cheapest D ports on my 81(went with HO manifolds for a stocker look) and the need some tweaking on the dirver's side to still use the neutral switch linkage to the steering column.

1965 GTO 4 barrel 3 speed project
2004 GTO Pulse Red stock motor computer tune 13.43@103.4
1964 Impala SS 409/470ci 600 HP stroker project
1979 Camaro IAII Edelbrock head 500" 695 HP 10.33@132 3595lbs
Old 03-17-2002, 04:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Charles, be patient. We will get the headers on. Kinda' hard to do when the car is parked in a storage facility with a bitchy lady in the front office and you've got minimal tools at your disposal. Now that it's at my place, all we have to do is find the time to do it, then drive it up to Tony's to get the rest of the exhaust on. It'll be ready by April 7th.

Old 03-17-2002, 04:17 PM

Send a message via AIM to David Holmberg

Brian, Thumbs up!

Old 03-17-2002, 06:55 PM
Senior Chief

Hey brian. I had a little brain storm. (pun intended,"little") maybe the reason I couldn't get a few of the bolts on it the first time,maybe the bolts where too short to reach,they were only half an inch long to begin with. SO,I have a few longer ones,I can get started in the threads. So whats the deal for the 7th? I want to go to the track,and check out the scene,meet some more pontiac enthusiasts. I guess we can figure out who/what needs an extra hand,but anyways,count me in.

Old 03-19-2002, 04:20 PM

Brian, you are a Saint. Cpetrice I'd take him up on his offer. Your gonna need the tools and the help.

Old 03-19-2002, 08:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

He has no choice anyway, the car is already at my place.

Old 03-19-2002, 09:31 PM
Senior Chief

Yeah,Brian saved me a few bucks,from the Midas ripoffs. He used his trailer to come get the beast,and tow it up there to his pad. I am going up this weekend to try and manhandle the headers on. Then brian knows a guy who can put the rest of the exhaust on,pretty darn cheap.