Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 09-02-2017, 11:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 71 brackets on a 65 motor

I'm building a 65 WH 421. I organized and inventoried my brackets and pulleys today. While I have an abundance of 1971 Brackets I have zip for the 65.

Will the 71 alternator and power steering brackets bolt on to the 65 421?

http://www.gogtoaa.com/leibys%20rides.html
Old 09-03-2017, 06:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If your running the 65 heads, then no I am sorry to say.

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
Old 09-03-2017, 08:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve25 View Post
If your running the 65 heads, then no I am sorry to say.
Does 65 heads not have the same bolt holes as 66, 67, 68...??

Several ways to deal with the missing (top inside corner) pivot bolt hole with the later 60's heads.

Just asking
Clay

Old 09-03-2017, 09:44 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

You also have the 8 bolt timing cover vs the newer 11 bolt cover. Your water pump is shorter also than a 71 and up also. Pulleys different. You would to change to many things to make it work. Source the 65 parts you need and it will look more original to the engine.

Old 09-03-2017, 10:34 AM
Boost Engineer

Post up the belt driven parts you will have on the car: Example: Power Steering, Alternator, A/c or No A/c, timing cover and water pump. Then maybe I can match up something for you.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 09-03-2017, 11:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks guys... That is what I figured, appreciate the comments. Not far enough along yet to figure out the pulleys.

Old 09-03-2017, 11:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

3 basic options using stock parts if engine equipped w PS.

-bone stock '65 set-up, 8 bolt timing cover, 6 bolt damper, '65-66 narrow groove pulleys/correct 65 PS pump & brackets.

-'71+ set-up... 11 bolt timing cover, tall 11 bolt pump, 68+ damper, '71+ brackets & pulleys. With early style heads, no hole @ top of head for long alt bolt '71+ PS/alt brackets being used. On several occasions have solved by slightly shortening the long alt bolt, flipping it around, w threads coming out front, then using a nylock style nut on the front. While that solves the problem, it's a very cumbersome installation. As a '71 & 72 owner, I appreciate the look of this style bracket & pump, but on '71 & later Pontiacs. IMHO, '71+ brackets & teardrop shaped pump under the hood of a mid to late '60's Pontiac have always given the look of of a 1970's boneyard engine swap. The bracketry & teardrop style pump just lack the '60's character, def appear out of place.

-Conversion set-up... 11 bolt timing cover, '68+ damper, short or tall 11 bolt waterpump & corresponding correct wp pulley, as well as '67-70 style PS pump with correct fitting alt straps. First started putting this set-up together in the early 90's & still putting conversion sets together today. The conversion set-up fills the gap for '65-68 owners that desire running the 11 bolt wp/ & '68+ damper (often SFI rated new) while having a PS/alt setup that appears mid to late "60"s era with alt straps, & oval filler neck style PS pump.

Last edited by 'ol Pinion head; 09-03-2017 at 12:01 PM.
Old 09-03-2017, 12:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'ol Pinion head View Post
3 basic options using stock parts if engine equipped w PS.

-bone stock '65 set-up, 8 bolt timing cover, 6 bolt damper, '65-66 narrow groove pulleys/correct 65 PS pump & brackets.

-'71+ set-up... 11 bolt timing cover, tall 11 bolt pump, 68+ damper, '71+ brackets & pulleys. With early style heads, no hole @ top of head for long alt bolt '71+ PS/alt brackets being used. On several occasions have solved by slightly shortening the long alt bolt, flipping it around, w threads coming out front, then using a nylock style nut on the front. While that solves the problem, it's a very cumbersome installation. As a '71 & 72 owner, I appreciate the look of this style bracket & pump, but on '71 & later Pontiacs. IMHO, '71+ brackets & teardrop shaped pump under the hood of a mid to late '60's Pontiac have always given the look of of a 1970's boneyard engine swap. The bracketry & teardrop style pump just lack the '60's character, def appear out of place.

-Conversion set-up... 11 bolt timing cover, '68+ damper, short or tall 11 bolt waterpump & corresponding correct wp pulley, as well as '67-70 style PS pump with correct fitting alt straps. First started putting this set-up together in the early 90's & still putting conversion sets together today. The conversion set-up fills the gap for '65-68 owners that desire running the 11 bolt wp/ & '68+ damper (often SFI rated new) while having a PS/alt setup that appears mid to late "60"s era with alt straps, & oval filler neck style PS pump.
I was trying to be cheap and figured the answer would be no when I asked the
question. I'm a 71 gto owner myself. I won't be doing the conversion.
I bought this motor and it's in the shop now being prepared for a build, but I do not yet know what it will end up in. Don't have a car picked out for it yet.