Old 07-28-2005, 10:13 PM

couple of questions.
I'm installing the shiftworks conversion kit for my 66' console. going from powerglide to th400. the detent looks exactly like the one that is on the shifter right now. what gives?
it has the original rivets so i know its from the 2 speed. it does not appear to be cut with any extra notches so i don't see the difference.
secondly, shiftworks instructions are not real great. it doesn't show where any of the screws/bolts go. our host shows only one part number for the kit so thats what i ordered, but the shiftworks site and the instructions list the 350 and 400 kits as different part numbers. Are they the same kit?
does anyone have a picture of their install?

Old 07-28-2005, 10:21 PM

also, in 67 when the th400 was used, did it only come on cars with a his and hers or did some cars come with a regular shifter and the th400.
I picked up this shifter a while back and it is in almost nos condition. the guy said it came off a 66 gto, but i think if the above is true then maybe it came off a 67 and thats why the detent looks the same as the one supplied in the kit.
Currently the car already has a Th400 in it but has the original two speed shifter so the hard part is done. i just wanted the shifter i bought to work properly since the handle and knob look so good and i was already redoing the console.

Old 07-28-2005, 10:42 PM

i took a couple of pics to help the discusion.
i played with the contrast a bit on one to illustrate the outlines of the detent shape.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	detent3web.JPG
Views:	217
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	7035  

Old 07-28-2005, 10:43 PM

another
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	detent2web.JPG
Views:	198
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	13895  

Old 07-28-2005, 10:46 PM

handle to verify correct year
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	shifterhandleweb.JPG
Views:	193
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	14543  

Old 08-01-2005, 06:57 PM

Question anyone, anyone, something doo economics

maybe with the forum change this got overlooked.
please help if you can.
or else i'll take one for the team and post my results.
thanks

Old 08-02-2005, 04:01 PM
Suspended

the 66 and 67 two speed console shifter is the same. all 1967 T400 came with dual gate if a floor shifter was ordered (which only came with a console). No console, no T400 floor shifter.

Old 08-02-2005, 05:49 PM

Default one down, two to go

thanks engineer,
thats confirms my first idea that i do have the right shifter for the swap using the shiftworks conversion kit.
however, two other issues remain.
1. py (our host) only lists one part numbber for all 2 speed to turbo conversions (i.e. powerglide to th350 or th400) Shiftworks lists two parts numbers, sc2101 for converting to th350, sc2102 for converting to th400.
I have emailed shiftworks to ask if there are any actual differences in the kits or to verfiy that they are identical. I'll guess that the host has already looked at this and done us a favor by making it one part number...
2. If both of the above are true, then why does the detent look identical?
i dont want to molest my shifter to add the dentent plate that is the same if the only thing that makes the damn thing work right is the cable,cable bracket and spacer being the right size for the detent to operate correctly.
see the aboove pictures for clarification/post any thoughts/and i will update when i have more info.
thanks yall.

Old 08-03-2005, 12:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to 3 Deuce 64

I bought a 66 with the turbo 400 in it they left the original shifter in it I never drove the car but the drive positions didn't line up because of the extra position

Old 08-03-2005, 08:06 PM

Default word up from shiftworks

ok, i'll try to condense this as best i can.
i got an email back from shiftworks today.
i wrote:
" I recently purchased a shiftworks shifter conversion kit from performance
years pontiac. The vehicle I am working on is a 1966 lemans. They only list one part number for all powerglide to turbo conversions. I am changing from a powerglide to a th400. They sent me you part number #sc2101.

Question 1. Is there are any differences between #sc2101 and your part sc2102 ?"

They said "Yes it has a different pan bracket. I can supply."

Then i asked..
"Question 2. When comparing the detent bracket that I have on my original
shifter, it looks identical to the bracket you have in your kit. without
molesting my shifter, what is the purpose of the existing bracket vs.
removing the rivots and using yours if the detent pattern is the same?"

And they said "Usually for the PG trans they are different. I can provide a picture. I have heard this once or twice before. Maybe the factory did something?? Sorry no good answer., but I am not surprised by anything. If its the same, you do not need to change it."

Soooo....
I will email our host and let them know that according to the manufacturer, they are selling the wrong part number.
RPU323 does not work on TH400 only TH350 due to the pan bracket.

Secondly, i was given permission to email pictures of the detent in question so they can see that my original PG detent looks like the same one.

Now i have to wonder if the cable that our host sold me will be correct for the exchanged pan bracket.
I'll let yall know.
Carry on..
I need a bravo-echo-echo-romeo.....howcopy

Old 08-08-2005, 10:59 PM

Thumbs up

Ok.
Shiftworks has given me excellent customer service!
First they verified that the cable part number is the same for either kit.
Then they OVERNIGHTED me the correct pan bracket for FREE!
Herb with shiftworks was the guy I had emailed the pictures to and he thinks that what happed was that at some point with then car has been around, some one took a shifter from a big car (66 grandprix) and put in there with the correct detent for the th400. that would explain why the detent was already correct and the shifter was the same. He also sent me a picture of a powerglide detent to verfy what it looks like. So we are all good!
Thanks PY, thanks Shiftworks, and a big thanks to Herb!