Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 05-31-2015, 12:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgeise View Post
ok so about 300 lb heavier than my GTO -- and the cars on that show are all about hooking up on a "street" for an eight mile, super loose front end and stuff that wouldn't be legal at any NHRA track.
Quote:
I'm talking about the traction control devices
Where is it in the rule book that says its illegal to have a Davis Technologies box in a car at a NHRA track?

Motec fuel management system?

AMS 1000/2000?

MSD digital 7? MSD Power Grid?

etc?

Several cars every weekend go down NHRA tracks with Davis boxes in them, if anyone thinks that box is the reason why the car goes down a strip of pavement fast, they do not have a sound understanding of how the boxes work or what it is for.

Just because something isn't legal for a NHRA class doesn't mean it isn't legal for a NHRA track, judging by the TV ratings and car counts across the country the NHRA would be foolish to try to make people be legal for their classes with such little interest in their programs both via participation and via viewership.

Old 05-31-2015, 12:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

While not a big NHRA fan-- they have major issues, at least at there races almost every car has a class they can race in and be somewhat competitive. In this reality tv show, being heads up, is really about no more than a few cars. If it were not for the tv money how many of these guys would really put up there own money racing a car they know is faster??

Old 05-31-2015, 12:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ventura7211 View Post
Where is it in the rule book that says its illegal to have a Davis Technologies box in a car at a NHRA track?

Motec fuel management system?

AMS 1000/2000?

MSD digital 7? MSD Power Grid?

etc?

Several cars every weekend go down NHRA tracks with Davis boxes in them, if anyone thinks that box is the reason why the car goes down a strip of pavement fast, they do not have a sound understanding of how the boxes work or what it is for.

Just because something isn't legal for a NHRA class doesn't mean it isn't legal for a NHRA track, judging by the TV ratings and car counts across the country the NHRA would be foolish to try to make people be legal for their classes with such little interest in their programs both via participation and via viewership.
damn your splitting hairs. IT IS NOT LEGAL TO HAVE A TRACTION CONTROL DEVICE ON YOUR CAR AT A NHRA SANCTIONED EVENT. period. I guess if you want to go to a sanctioned track and test with one --have at it. and btw, certain MSD digital box's are not allowed either.

Old 05-31-2015, 01:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
damn your splitting hairs. IT IS NOT LEGAL TO HAVE A TRACTION CONTROL DEVICE ON YOUR CAR AT A NHRA SANCTIONED EVENT. period. I guess if you want to go to a sanctioned track and test with one --have at it. and btw, certain MSD digital box's are not allowed either.

Its not splitting hairs, you say their cars are not legal at NHRA tracks, based on items not allowed in NHRA classes at NHRA events, which from attendance and participation figures show there is very little interest in anyway compared to non sanctioned events and classes at NHRA tracks across the country.

Plenty of programmable traction control aids are allowed in NHRA classes from pro stock down to the s/ss index classes. The difference being that several companies refuse to pay for the approval process as their consumer base extends far beyond the handful of cars who would be interested in their product at these events. Its a simple ROI, something NHRA events and programs offer little for sponsors today (NASCAR isn't doing much better) while a hour long tv show on discovery is for the companies, many of which can't afford the sponsor ship cost of the "pros", has a better ROI than NHRA's delayed telecasts on weekend nights.

Old 05-31-2015, 03:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What's the nitrous bottle for in the Murder Nova? Spool turbos?

Old 05-31-2015, 03:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponjohn View Post
What's the nitrous bottle for in the Murder Nova? Spool turbos?
Several ODR guys are using water and nitrous injection on turbo gasoline combinations now days, not to help spool, but to help cool the intake charge, the intercoolers are not the most efficient in the world when you consider how much ice cold water exists in the intercooler during the pass (only what it is filled with before the pass really) when you factor in idle, burnout, staging, then the pass for a ice tank trying to cool the intake charge and engine during a pass.

Several nitrous companies now produce water injection kits.

The bottle could have n2o, water, or co2 in it, whichever, it is good product placement and advertising for NX.

Old 05-31-2015, 06:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ventura7211 View Post
Several ODR guys are using water and nitrous injection on turbo gasoline combinations now days, not to help spool, but to help cool the intake charge, the intercoolers are not the most efficient in the world when you consider how much ice cold water exists in the intercooler during the pass (only what it is filled with before the pass really) when you factor in idle, burnout, staging, then the pass for a ice tank trying to cool the intake charge and engine during a pass.

Several nitrous companies now produce water injection kits.

The bottle could have n2o, water, or co2 in it, whichever, it is good product placement and advertising for NX.
That what I was thinking too.

Product placement and t-shirt advertising is now becoming very prominent on the show.

Old 06-01-2015, 03:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There is a huge difference between something that "AIDS" in helping to maintain traction and an "active" traction control device, hell your traction would be better by pulling off one plug wire -- If you don't know the definition of "active traction control" and something that may aid your ability to maintain traction look it up. As far as the attendance and popularity of the NHRA or any event, that a different subject.

Old 06-01-2015, 03:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
IT IS NOT LEGAL TO HAVE A TRACTION CONTROL DEVICE ON YOUR CAR AT A NHRA SANCTIONED EVENT. period.
From NHRA Rule Book:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	traction-control-2014_August_NHRA_Rulebook.png
Views:	760
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	399291  

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 06-30-2015, 03:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Watched the show last night,,,couldnt believe Chuck spit on those guys.I know they were egging him on with the short talk and stuff but the spit was a bit much. That one guy looked like he wanted to rip his head off. All looked real to me.

Old 06-30-2015, 04:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thought it was sorta low class myself, but you can only push people so far and you really have no idea what their limit is, sometimes they don't even know. Which is why I don't believe in nor like trash talk like that, it only escalates until one blows up.
Is it really worth it just to declare a winner in the trash talk division?
A little fun ribbing is fine, but you really need to know that person. Like Chief and Dominator, you can tell they like and know each other pretty well.

Old 06-30-2015, 05:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The guy did put his hands on him when tensions were already high. I am surprised no one has laid him out yet. He just is one of those high strung guys. Too serious for his own good.

Old 06-30-2015, 06:02 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott70 View Post
Watched the show last night,,,couldnt believe Chuck spit on those guys.I know they were egging him on with the short talk and stuff but the spit was a bit much. That one guy looked like he wanted to rip his head off. All looked real to me.
Believe it was real. Trash talk escalates to some guy going into brain fade and grabbing the other person. I was very surprised that Chuck spit on him vs just putting him on the ground initially.

You don't reach for or touch someone unless you are ready to get put on your azz.

Ok so he spit on the guy after the guy grabbed him. Chuck got the guy's attention.

This deal with not paying the $5,000 until the guy got to spit on Chuck I don't believe was staged either. That was too stupid of a comment to be anything but real.
Money should be a separate deal.

Now when Chuck said he would put the guy on the ground after the other guy spit on him, well he warned him. By then the guy had come to his senses.

Tom V.

On 12th Street the Guns would have been out when the guy put his hands on Chuck.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 06-30-2015, 07:25 PM

Send a message via AIM to David Holmberg

The redheaded guy was a D*ck! He started in on the short jokes from the beginning with chuck, knowing it would get to him.

That said, spitting was over the line, very low class Chuck.

Like ho428 said, I quit going to bigger street races because of the trash talk involved. I'm a Midwestern guy, not how I was raised. The east coast guys and most brothers love to be in your face and trash talk, that's not in my enjoyment zone. I just want to race (win) and have fun.

Old 06-30-2015, 07:52 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Holmberg View Post
The redheaded guy was a D*ck! He started in on the short jokes from the beginning with chuck, knowing it would get to him.

That said, spitting was over the line, very low class Chuck.

Like ho428 said, I quit going to bigger street races because of the trash talk involved. I'm a Midwestern guy, not how I was raised. The east coast guys and most brothers love to be in your face and trash talk, that's not in my enjoyment zone. I just want to race (win) and have fun.
Agree David, not good behavior on either side. A lot of the other shows did not have that element to the show. Think it actually lowered the caliber of the show somewhat.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 06-30-2015, 10:26 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Look for more of this no class TV. It gets rating look at this house wife's of (pick your state) 8 to 10 woman fighting every week. I tell the girls is this how you act (no) so y do you watch it. We like it. God help this country

Old 06-30-2015, 11:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Street racers have beeb acting like thatt for as long as I can remember. We all have big pride in our cars, when someone insults you are your car you insult back. 2 hotheads that do not take it with a grain of salt wind up pushing, spitting, fighting.

Look at a few threads on this site, name calling, fueds, fun stuff, sike outs until race day. Funny how the finish line calms the loser down!

Old 07-01-2015, 07:57 AM
Boost Engineer

Funny how the rest of the forums have hundreds of polite posts and really good advice.

The Race Section seems to be trying to emulate the trash talk on the street (on the web) as you can have months of time and lots of posts to do it.

Race Section as in Drag Race. The Road Race, Hill Climb, and Hydro Boat type posts are typically very polite and unfortunately very scarce.

That "Big Pride" can cost you a lot of money over time if you race against the "Two Foot" (1/2 a Fender) Guy and always lose. Funny how that works.

"On the Motor" so you take out your bottles, he takes out his, BUT he has another 6 hiding places in the car (or gas tank like Bruce), for the bottle.
He has your money again.

Tom V.

Old 07-01-2015, 08:22 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The kind of exchanges you have been seeing on SO are very much like what we have seen at Great Lakes Dragaway going back several years during our "Real Street Drags" event that is run by Brian Mitchell "Tuffenuf" whom you no doubt have seen on the show as well. The drama and arguing and pushing and shoving are all part of the scene. It started to get out of hand and at one point we had to hire "rent-a-cops" because we were worried there could be an incident we could not control with regular staff. The message got out to the racers that things needed to tone down a bit and it's not quite as dramatic as it once was, but the interactions you are seeing, including that "king b" clown happen with regularity. If someone refused to pay, they would not get very far trying to leave the scene with the Chicago crowd... On a more humorous note, search YouTube for "he's not getting paid" showing Brian in one of his not so proud moments...

1970 GTO Judge
RA-III, 4-SPD & A/C. Power Windows, Power Seat, Power Brakes, Steering, AM/FM, 8-Track, Formula Wheel, Rallye Gauges, Remote Mirror, Numbers Matching. Assembled at Pontiac, MI Plant 5/26/1970.

1968 GTO
461 CI, RA-III heads, Hotchkis springs, UMI suspension, Bilstein shocks, 12-bolt 3.73's.

1966 GTO Ragtop
4-Speed, AM/FM, Original driveline.
Old 07-01-2015, 08:54 AM
Boost Engineer

"Chicago Racing" is a tough crowd everywhere in that area, on the street, Route 66 Drag Way, etc. The Detroit people were some of the first to use (multiple) hand-held Video cameras to determine "Who Won" issues on the street. A lot less bullets flying around with that equipment.

Tom V.