Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 08-12-2023, 10:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragncar View Post
I have this Carter 120 gph pump new in a box and its Made in the USA.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/CRT-M6907

And only 120 $ vs 200ish for the Holley and Edelbrock.
this pump feeds my 505 just fine for street use.

Old 08-12-2023, 10:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68bird400HO View Post
The stock fuel pump in my 68 bird 400 finally failed after 20+ years earlier this Spring. In shopping for a new one, the main brands available were AC Delco, Airtex, Delphi, and Carter. I chose the Delphi as the reviews seemed a little better. When it arrived, I had some reservations as it was made in China and they didn't even include a gasket. Put it on and ran great until last week when it died and left me stranded. Didn't even last 200 miles. So, this time I ordered the Carter since it was supposedly made in USA. Just received it looks exactly like the same tooling as the Delphi and also says Made in China. I think Airtex is probably the same and I don't see the AC Delco one out there anymore. I am thinking of just sending the Carter back because I can't enjoy my car wondering if/when the pump is going to leave me stranded every time I drive it.

I have this (pics) aftermarket pump I am thinking of seeing if I can find a rebuild kit for but not sure exactly what it is. Can anyone identify this?

Also thinking of just going Robb Mc. In either of these cases, I think I would need to make a custom pump to carb line.

Any suggestions? Is there a stock replacement out there that isn't a pile of junk? Car is stock so hoping to keep it as close as possible. Thanks.
I made a pretty lengthy post about this a long while back with pics showing all those pumps sitting together outside their boxes and there was no discernable difference between any of them, which led me to believe they were all the same reboxed garbage. Even the AC Delco I had was the same and no longer carried the AC Delco logo cast into the aluminum housing, so I didn't accept it as a "real" AC Delco.

I've later posted how the most recent renditions of these pumps are hit and miss on reliability. The last round of these I went through on one vehicle, the first one didn't get me a mile from my driveway and died. Napa swapped that one for another, and that one got me about 10 miles from the house and I had to retrieve my trailer and tow it back. Napa at that point just said "here's your money back" LOL They didn't have another in stock for a warranty swap.

In a nut shell your best bet these days are really only 2 options that I consider.
One, go with a RobbMC pump and get yourself one of his extra rebuild kits to have on hand for $25 just for good measure, and just get used to the fact you have to custom bend and flare a new fuel pump line.
Two, more money and more work, go electric in the tank as all the modern cars do these days. Usually my go to option for any engine making 450-500hp or more, and then go the extra mile to make things appear stock. Not a cheap option, usually $1000 when done.

I don't even consider store bought $30 pumps anymore.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
The Following User Says Thank You to Formulajones For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2023, 11:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I agree today's off the shelf pumps are a joke for the most part, and trusting a decades old NOS or NORS pump can be risky too but as far as one of the more expensive pumps from Summit, Jegs, etc, they appear to not have a provision for a return line. A return is a must for helping control vapor lock. Unless I am missing something, what can be done about that?

Old 08-12-2023, 12:14 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve25 View Post
Even though it might save you some bucks to go with a NOS pump there’s two problems with that.

1) the diaphragm has likely already started to dry rot since they never bagged them up.

2) the diaphragms are likely not made for todays Alky cut fuel.

Both of these combined and you have a new pump that will only last you months like you have experienced.
I would take that chance because of all the crap that is being manufactured overseas with very little service life being reported with these parts! But that is a personal choice!!! If that was a problem with NOS pumps, I don't think they would be snapped up quickly when posted for sale or command the high prices we're seeing!!

Last edited by Ram Air IV Jack; 08-12-2023 at 12:56 PM.
Old 08-12-2023, 12:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Nice work. So, these types of adapters are not readily available then?
I was messing with that old holley I have and noticed that it does actually have one of those fittings for a flaired line. So, I guess this answers that question.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20230812_110837.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	617950  

Old 08-12-2023, 12:36 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Thanks for the lead, Jack. I agree with the later post that I would have concerns running an old pump where the diaphragm could already be hardening from age.
Personal choice Pat, but with all the problems reported on these offshore made parts, I would take the chance. I don't think that would be a problem with an NOS part and if it was my car, that is what I would do. BUT the price is really high, like so many NOS parts you find today. It appears people are willing to pay a lot for these pumps because few show up and when they do, are snapped up right away. Your 68 400 Bird, like your TA are so beautiful, I would stick with originality but that is a personal preference on my part. I remember you finding and rebuilding a correct date coded voltage regulator for that car but that is a different issue, and it didn't cost that much! Good luck and let us know!!

Old 08-12-2023, 01:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

At this point far as I know all the over the counter pumps are going to be reboxed Airtex pumps, either Mexico or China origin. The horror stories I here over and over and over again tell me not to touch any of that with a 200' pole.

Some folks are so persistant, and cheap they tell me of trying them 3 or 4 times before throwing in the towel and going another direction. They also call in here blaming ALL their flooding, running poorly, difficult restarts after sitting a few days and even sucking the bowl dry issues on the carb, when it's the Airtex fuel pump instead.........FWIW......

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cliff R For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2023, 02:13 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
Two, more money and more work, go electric in the tank as all the modern cars do these days. Usually my go to option for any engine making 450-500hp or more, and then go the extra mile to make things appear stock. Not a cheap option, usually $1000 when done.

I don't even consider store bought $30 pumps anymore.
Then comes the problem of finding a good in tank pump. Last one I bought was an A/C Delco replacement from GM that lasted all of maybe 10 uses spread out over a year and seven days, just past the one year warranty period.

Old 08-12-2023, 03:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It is just unreal that in the late 60s we had the technology to mass produce these pumps with high reliability and reasonably long life. Now we can't. We can debate the ethanol issue but we also have superior materials, neoprene, etc that are resistant to the crap gas. Also the new pump failures are in a short time so can't be the gas.

I need a 3 line pump so at this point am either going Robb Mc or seeing if I can get this old holley working. I am not seeing any other 3 liners out there. Not going to drop big money for old nos for a chance it might be good. Reliability and piece of mind is the most important.

Is the Robb Mc website the only place to get their pumps?

Are there other 3 line aftermarket pumps I am missing?

Old 08-12-2023, 04:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
Then comes the problem of finding a good in tank pump. Last one I bought was an A/C Delco replacement from GM that lasted all of maybe 10 uses spread out over a year and seven days, just past the one year warranty period.
The intank set up most people use are from tanks inc or other retro fit modules from brands like holley, aeromotive etc, most use top quality pumps like walbro that are very reliable and can support very high HP.

Old 08-12-2023, 06:50 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
It is just unreal that in the late 60s we had the technology to mass produce these pumps with high reliability and reasonably long life. Now we can't. We can debate the ethanol issue but we also have superior materials, neoprene, etc that are resistant to the crap gas. Also the new pump failures are in a short time so can't be the gas.

I need a 3 line pump so at this point am either going Robb Mc or seeing if I can get this old holley working. I am not seeing any other 3 liners out there. Not going to drop big money for old nos for a chance it might be good. Reliability and piece of mind is the most important.

Delco did mass produce these pumps for many years, and I think you could still get a GM part back in the 90's. But, like so many manufacturers today, they went overseas because it was cheaper to produce aftermarket parts. As a result, we see a lot of crap today. Cliff R is right, much of this stuff is made with inferior materials with poor tolerances that are not followed like they once were when made in this country. We see this a lot in the PerTronix ignition parts that have an unbelievable failure rate. That subject has been discussed here in detail and Cliff has many horror stories about these units too. Sad but true today in aftermarket products which at one time were as good if not better than factory parts!!

Old 08-12-2023, 07:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

I'm not sure how much flow you need but I don't buy into every aftermarket pump being total junk. The fail rate may be high but it's not 100%.

I recently bought a Delphi pump. So far it works, doesn't overpower the carb inlet, and hasn't broken yet. I don't know if or how long it will hold up but so far so good. I know it's not my good luck saving me.

As to why fuel pump quality may be poor, it's not a lack of technology. While every brand may source from the same manufacturer and use the same design and materials, I want to believe some are better at managing quality than others.

I don't blame Chinese manufacturers. They just make stuff for other companies. They deliver what their customer contracts for. To me, a brand can decide how they want to trade off quality against price and manage a Chinese or any other manufacturer to achieve their goals. Unfortunately, it seems the market has driven every brand to the same cost-driven business model that accepts high field failure and/or return rates.

If I had a 500 hp engine and wanted high quality, good support, and reliability, I'd probably pay $225 and custom-fit the lines. But I don't. So I take my chances on a $40 bolt-in.

When I was shopping, I found Spectra sold off their fuel pump line in the past few years and it seems others have done the same. So I looked for a brand that at least put their name on the pump. Delphi did, so I bought it. Is it better than any other? I don't know, but Delphi knows I'll be reminded which brand failed when I replace it. To me, the name on the part is worth more than no name, even if it comes from the same factory.

The Following User Says Thank You to Shiny For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2023, 08:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny View Post
I'm not sure how much flow you need but I don't buy into every aftermarket pump being total junk. The fail rate may be high but it's not 100%.

I recently bought a Delphi pump. So far it works, doesn't overpower the carb inlet, and hasn't broken yet. I don't know if or how long it will hold up but so far so good. I know it's not my good luck saving me.

As to why fuel pump quality may be poor, it's not a lack of technology. While every brand may source from the same manufacturer and use the same design and materials, I want to believe some are better at managing quality than others.

I don't blame Chinese manufacturers. They just make stuff for other companies. They deliver what their customer contracts for. To me, a brand can decide how they want to trade off quality against price and manage a Chinese or any other manufacturer to achieve their goals. Unfortunately, it seems the market has driven every brand to the same cost-driven business model that accepts high field failure and/or return rates.

If I had a 500 hp engine and wanted high quality, good support, and reliability, I'd probably pay $225 and custom-fit the lines. But I don't. So I take my chances on a $40 bolt-in.

When I was shopping, I found Spectra sold off their fuel pump line in the past few years and it seems others have done the same. So I looked for a brand that at least put their name on the pump. Delphi did, so I bought it. Is it better than any other? I don't know, but Delphi knows I'll be reminded which brand failed when I replace it. To me, the name on the part is worth more than no name, even if it comes from the same factory.
I don't remember what pump I put on back in 2000 but it lasted 23 years. It wasn't AC Delco since it didn't have the AC on it. It finally went in May and I replaced it with the Delphi. That left me stranded last week. Didn't even last 200 miles. I ordered a Carter last week since I thought it was made in USA and the picture looked like my pump from 2000 (had the 2 weep holes). I just got the pump and it was not the pictured one, instead it is identical to the Delphi. Only difference is the Carter ink stamp instead of the Delphi ink stamp. I don't even want to try it.

Fwiw, my 71 TA has an air tex pump on it and it is still working fine after 13 years. Quality seems to have fallen off for all of these in recent years.

Old 08-12-2023, 08:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yikes, that sounds frustrating...

That experience does make a case for a RobbMc or electric pump..

The market for these mechanical pumps must have evaporated to the point where nobody cares enough to even track the quality.

In a previous life, I worked for a company that made stuff and sold the same product 2 ways: 1) to OEM manufacturers and 2) through retail chains.

The "allowable" return rates (ie out of box failures) were almost two orders of magnitude different. An OEM customer would not buy if we shipped them a bunch of failures. A retailer didn't care much how many came back as long as we paid for them. So new products with immature quality went to retail channels before they went to OEMs. Just business.

Old 08-12-2023, 08:42 PM
Boost Engineer

"The market for these mechanical pumps must have evaporated to the point where nobody cares enough to even track the quality."

I stepped up to a Tanks,inc style EFI pump and tank about 8 years ago.
8 years and not one issue. I bought the 225 liter/hr street pump.

I am Not cutting holes in my 64 GTO trunk floor (so I passed on the access plate and easy pump removal from the top (in the trunk).
(I RUN TWO 225 LITER PUMPS IN ONE OF THE TANKS, INC TANKS WITH A CUSTOM TOP COVER THAT MOUNTS THE DUAL PUMPS.

Second pump is a back-up pump.

My biggest gripe with the "factory (Chinese) timing cover pumps was the fuel pressure was all over the place.
Tried 3 M-Pumps and all were POS parts.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 08-12-2023, 09:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandam1979 View Post
This is what I just did for my buddy’s car he went robb mc but wanted the stock line going to carb. Used a AN fitting with npt 1/2 on other side then a qjet fuel fitting cut and weld and it’s ready to go.
I just went through this with a Carter 6907 when I swapped from a Holley to a Qjet. I ordered a factory repro line thinking I would massage the carb inlet end to make up for my additional intake height only to find that the outlet on my pump is. clocked different than the OEM pump. The radius at the elbow on the repro hard line (In-line Tube)was ahead of and tight to my crank pulley so no bueno. Prying it further just jacked up the alignment at the top. I had bend and flare one out of nicop using the OEM as a template with a tighter bend at the fuel pump.

Old 08-12-2023, 10:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
That's never really been a problem that I've seen as long as you go with a genuine Walbro and I've been dealing with them for 25 years. That's about as good as it gets, and what the OEM's have been using for years. There are a lot of counterfeit Walbro pumps on the market for cheap, avoid those.

Always a chance something doesn't work but in the grand scheme of things good Walbro electric pumps failing prematurely on a regular basis is certainly not the norm. Millions of them on the roads today.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
Old 08-13-2023, 05:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

One other option I found is that there is someone in CA that restores these original crimp style mechanical pumps. I think it runs $275 with shipping. I would do this before spending that on an old NOS pump. Also, I would only do that if I had an original AC Delco pump to start with and bone stock originality was necessary for the car. Anyone familiar with this person or that rebuild service?

Old 08-13-2023, 05:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I was messing with that old holley I have and noticed that it does actually have one of those fittings for a flaired line. So, I guess this answers that question.
Not the same on the npt side that’s probably 1/4 or 3/8 at best McRobb is 1/2 npt. I could be wrong but that’s going to be a little harder to find.

Old 08-14-2023, 10:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Doing some more research I see the Robb Mc pump delivers a constant 7 psi where the factory pumps were in the 5-6 psi range. Are there any issues with the additional psi on a stock 68 400 build with stock Q-jet?