THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 08-17-2023, 08:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
My wife and I have been going to tribute shows of some of these bands. Haven't been disappointed yet. The shows are 20-25% of the cost of the few surviving members of the original band, if they are still with us at all. They seem to all put allot of effort into their live show and every one of them has been good to excellent. Examples we have seen: Get the LED out, a David Bowie tribute band, a Tom Petty tribute band, Eagles tribute band, Brit Floyd, and half a dozen others.
I've come across a number of excellent cover bands on YouTube that are well worth a listen.
https://www.youtube.com/@FoxesandFossils in Atlanta, they cover a wide variety of genres but tend toward Crosby, Stills and Nash, Mamas and Papas, Neil Young, etc.
https://www.youtube.com/@LexingtonLabBand in Kentucky, they do a wide variety of rock from 1960s through the 2000s
https://www.youtube.com/@theHindleyStreetCountryClub and https://www.youtube.com/@singitliveworld , both in Australia. The people from SingitLive used to be part of the Hindley Street Country Club, so if you go back a couple years you'll see them all together. They do rock, soul, R&B, pop mainly from the 1980s but a little bit of everything older and newer too.
https://www.youtube.com/@LeonidVorobyevandfriends from Russia. They do spot on renditions of Chicago tunes, along with some Earth, Wind and Fire, Tower of Power, Steely Dan and some others. They've performed with a couple former members of Chicago, and their version of Vehicle by the Ides of March is so good the leader of the Ides of March commented on the video saying when he first heard it, he thought it was them.

The Following User Says Thank You to Stuart For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2023, 09:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

October 18th I'm going to see Queen up in Philly. Not all that crazy about it as I saw them the last time they were here. But the 1st time was free, and so is the one in October. Free ride up and back plus dinner before the show. What's in your wallet? LOL

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
The Following User Says Thank You to GT182 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2023, 02:10 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Saw Tom Petty live in Philly a few years back. Fantastic concert and so glad I went as it was only a couple of months lated that he passed. Going to a concert in January at a vineyard in Queenstown NZ that has Collective Soul, Texas and Simple Minds - should be a good mix.

1974 Trans Am, 400 4-speed, 3.42 rear.

The Following User Says Thank You to pontiacstogo For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2023, 02:23 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Roofy

It's probably not anyone else's cup of tea on here, but last year I saw Rob Zombie, Powerman 5000, Static X, and Mudvayne on their Freaks On Parade tour at Blossom towards Cleveland. Was an amazing experience! I've also seen a pretty decent AC/DC tribute band at a local festival this summer, and I saw George Jones in concert twice when I was a kid. I envy you guys who have seen Rush, theure one of my favorites. I was supposed to go see them on their R40 tour, that ended up being their last before Neil passed, but my d!ckhead boss wouldn't give me the time off work.

The Following User Says Thank You to Roofy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2023, 09:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Steve Winwood's music has been a background to my life for over 55 years. Spencer Davis Group, Traffic, Blind Faith, and on his own. We were fortunate to see him live about 10 years ago when we lived in Washington. High-impact experience for me.

The Following User Says Thank You to Shiny For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2023, 10:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I went to see ZZ Top, Lynyrd Skynyrd, and Uncle Kracker last night at the Walnut Creek pavilion with my youngest son. We were at the very front of the lawn seating. Billy Gibbons is still rocking on, not sure how old he is. Lynyrd Skynyrd performed a tribute to all of former members that have moved on. It was an awesome show.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to poncho-mike For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2023, 11:37 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roofy View Post
It's probably not anyone else's cup of tea on here, but last year I saw Rob Zombie, Powerman 5000, Static X, and Mudvayne on their Freaks On Parade tour at Blossom towards Cleveland. Was an amazing expe,me the time off work.
Didn't Wayne Static check out a couple years ago?

'74 T/A 455 Y-code SD clone

previously on Dawson's Creek:

'74 T/A 400
'81 AMC SX/4
'69 FB 350
Old 09-23-2023, 09:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Saw Cheap Trick last night, an outdoor event. They were fun. Lot of popular hits! Lead singer voice is still good as original. Gotta be old fella but that voice never lost a bit. They just posted their setlist (17 titles) on Facebook. Encore was about 3-4 songs.

Guitarist still a ham and switched guitars every song, saw the guitar racks before the show; 7-8 Les Paul Sunbursts, Old Telecaster sounded Clapton like, 63 red Gibson Firebird had a real neat sound, other Allen-Collins looking guitars, the 2-legged guitar, the 5-neck guitar, etc. Definitely an underrated talented guitarist. He kept flicking picks to the croud. Funny but graceful.

Bass player played a 12-string Bass all night, and did a couple decent Solos. Band would sound super-tight if he played a 4-string.

Surrender, I want you to want me, Ain't that a Shame, Mommies alright sounded like "Live a Budekan" quality.

Drummer was tight, opening solo to Surrender, or/and We're all alright was pretty darn good. Could feel it through the chest,

Rhythm guitar guy was eh, like the 12-string Bass, he filled the air with on-notes that served to drown-out the Lead guitar subtleties.

Walk-out song was original ACDC "itsa longk way to the top" if you want to rockNroll. Tasteful.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1264.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	620405  

The Following User Says Thank You to Half-Inch Stud For This Useful Post: