Old 08-22-2020, 09:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 455HO Positive Battery Cable

For my TA resto about 10 years ago, I bought the M&H reproduction 455HO battery cables. They look really nice but the connector on the starter end did not seem to be positioned correctly to put the cable in the correct place. I initially bent the connector to get the cable to fit but it ended up being to close to the exhaust manifold and started arcing after a while, which gave me starting problems. I re-bent the connector to reposition the cable and it was good for a few years but the starting problems have returned.

Now, the cable at that end is not looking good and that connector is a little flimsy from being bent a few times. I understand that M&H dips that end in a solder after it is assembled to protect it. Because of that, it is really not intended for it to be re-positioned, but, absolutely will not work as it is.

I pulled out my original cable and noticed that connector is quite different and has a tab that locks into a slot on the solenoid (see first pic below). It does look like it may have been modified by someone cutting a side out of the loop. First question, does anyone have a picture of an original 455HO cable connector?

The second picture is of a connector end that was still on a 1108435 starter I have (standard 1970 GTO). I noticed it has that same tab as my HO cable, but, you can see where that rest of the connector broke off that it is clocked differently than the HO cable.

Second question, has anyone else fought with this cable issue? If so, what did you do? Also, are there any correct reproductions out there? I am thinking of calling M&H to see if they are willing to fix this issue and make correct connectors with correct orientations.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9134.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	547747   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9133.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	547748