Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 08-08-2018, 05:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Smoke machine for finding vacuum leaks

Just thought I would share. It's nothing new, just my own cheap mods on existing stuff out there on the web. All made from a pickle jar, JB kwik weld, 2 HF brass male air connects, $4 soldering iron, HF $7 transfer pump, baby oil, and an old sock.

I needed to find a vacuum leak on my 2001 GM 5.3L motor.

I used a step drill bit to make a hole in the middle of the jar lid big enough for the soldering iron shaft. I then made 2 holes big enough to fit some male quick disconnect air fittings, also from HF.

I threaded the air fittings into the lid and secured with JB Kwik weld top and bottom. The soldering iron was also secured to the lid with additional JB globs. I also had to seal around the cord of the iron to keep smoke from pushing through it.

One orange tube went from the pump outlet to an air fitting on the jar lid. The other orange tube went from the other air fitting, and is the smoke supply hose.

I put an old sock into the jar, and soaked it with some Walmart baby oil. I then put the lid on, with the soldering iron tip pushed into the sock. With the iron plugged in, it started making good smoke in a few minutes.

I connected the smoke supply hose to the vacuum brake booster hose that connected to the intake. I used a plastic bag and rubber bands to seal off the throttle body inlet. I gently used the pump to force smoke into the intake, taking care not to blow the bag off the throttle body. Sure enough, I eventually found smoke coming out of a couple intake runners at the heads.

Not bad for $22, all in. A smoke machine like this could come in handy chasing vacuum leaks, maybe even leaks of other sorts like exhaust leaks. FWIW, enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180808_014824.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	489783   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180808_014856.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	489784   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180808_014907.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	489785  

Last edited by Squidward; 08-08-2018 at 05:29 AM.
Old 08-08-2018, 05:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Links to parts used:
https://m.harborfreight.com/brass-in...-pc-68241.html

https://m.harborfreight.com/multi-us...ump-63144.html

https://m.harborfreight.com/30-watt-...ron-69060.html

Use baby oil, old sock, and pickles of your own preference. I used 24 Oz Mt. Olive brand and butter chips, because they are yummy. I suppose dill would work, too, but results may vary.

Old 08-08-2018, 06:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Excellent, might have to try that myself.

Old 08-08-2018, 05:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Now I can spend the next few days watching 18 different YouTube videos on intake removal while I wait for the gasket set to arrive.

I was surprised by how tight everything else was on a 205k engine. Intake leaks with these plastic intakes seem to be a common issue. I want to make it to 300k. No truck payments means more Dinero for my fun cars!

I was wondering how this could apply to a classic. Worn throttle shafts on a carb? Maybe cap up the exhaust and fill it with smoke to find header leaks?

Old 08-08-2018, 06:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The intake leaking is a known issue on that right? I thought it was caused by the intake warping over time?

Old 08-08-2018, 11:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
The intake leaking is a known issue on that right? I thought it was caused by the intake warping over time?
I don't know about warping, but gasket replacement seems to be the fix from what I have seen. Final bolt torque for the plastic intake is 98 IN-lbs, so waaaay less gasket compression than our iron intake classics. So I guess warping could be an issue, but I think the solution is a new puffy and pliable gasket that would hopefully make up for mild warpage.

Old 08-09-2018, 12:29 AM

I love these kind of problems. It gives me a good excuse to have a couple of cigars. Even better when you have a friend come by to help. It's hard for my bride to complain when I'm fixing her car. Lol

Old 08-09-2018, 02:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've got the 5.3 in my 2011, runs great so far ... only 70K miles though.

Old 08-09-2018, 03:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

290K on my 1999 5.3. Runs great.
Engines never been apart. I did have the intake off a couple years ago to replace the cam pos sensor.

'78 Macho T/A DKM#95, 460cid, SRP pistons, KRE 310 D ports,
3" pypes, Hooker 1 3/4" headers, hydraulic roller,
10" Continental, 3.42 gears
11.5 @117.5mph 3900lbs
([_|_] ##\|/##[_|_])
Old 08-09-2018, 04:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TammyTA View Post
I love these kind of problems. It gives me a good excuse to have a couple of cigars. Even better when you have a friend come by to help. It's hard for my bride to complain when I'm fixing her car. Lol
Former smoker here, so that is a slippery slope I stay away from. My buddy, who used to regularly smoke, but does enjoy cigars, suggested the same thing!

Old 08-09-2018, 05:28 PM

Sqidward - You just need to have him blow smoke while you look for the leak. Of course that may cost you more than one of the above suggestions. lol

Congrats on kicking the habit.

Old 08-09-2018, 09:52 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

FWIW if you have a vacuum leak, in a spot that doesn't get hot you can use shaving
cream. Put it in the suspect areas and let it sit. If there's a leak it'll suck a hole in the foam.
It's a trick used on marine vacuum toilets that have to hold vacuum until flushed

(Yes I know there's a joke there somewhere)