Old 01-01-2014, 10:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Hi-Fi Sound...

previous owner had 6x9 speakers installed in rear deck, so I always assumed holes were cut in the steel panel. Sound was terrible. Thought you would enjoy the pic below.

I installed the stock AM radio back into the dash, and was planning to purchase a new Alpine deck that will support an RF remote so I can install behind glove box. I go to remove the rear speakers to purchase new 6x9's, and here is what I have found... At least he drilled a couple of holes for the sound to seep through.

I assume the second picture is where my rear defogger is supposed to go? Car shipped with one, but was missing.

Now decision time... do i just cut holes in the rear deck for the right speaker, and install the left speaker in the stock center location? Or, do the dual coil / single speakers sound reasonably ok? I am not looking for base thumping head banging music, but something I can hear over road & engine noise.

I have a bracket made to mount 2-4" speakers in the stock front location, now just need something that puts out a little bass. Has anyone had success with the speaker boxes that fit under the front seats?

I am staying away from front speakers in the kick panels in order to maintain air flow from the vents.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rear speaker1.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	348187   Click image for larger version

Name:	rear speaker2.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	348188  

Old 01-02-2014, 07:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

At least the PO didn't hack up the rear shelf with large holes.

Yes that is the location for the rear window defogger, D/S rear shelf.

Also for reference is the '66 Rear shelf speaker/grille.
In the options cat it states if you ordered a defogger you couldn't get a speaker grill.
The tray cover had holes gut in for the speaker/sound just no grill.

You might even consider speakers behind the rear seat somehow mounted facing into the cabin?

Cheers.

Last edited by Jeff Hamlin; 03-08-2015 at 08:20 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff Hamlin For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2014, 06:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks Jeff! I picked up a rear defogger last year, but now in the process of replacing the tray and installing it, so this helps.

I need to do a little measuring, but may just build a couple of boxes to hold a 6x9 under the seats (pointing up to minimize height) or pickup one of the speaker boxes sold for about $120/pair that are supposed to fit under the front seats.

Old 01-02-2014, 08:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I Have gone through the same debate regarding tunes for the few old cars I have. Ultimately I decided to simply get a Bose Soundlink bluetooth speaker that allows me to stream music from my smartphone and get satisfactory sound when I want it. No chopping, cutting, wiring, etc. Completely portable from car to car and available from Ebay for $250 or so. I'm sure that's not the answer for everyone, but I have great sounds for 3 different cars, I had no installation or modification requirements, and my total expense was $250 or $83 per car.

Old 01-02-2014, 08:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

While my (biased) vote would be to add a RediRad to a rehabbed radio and speaker (a healthy radio and correctly re-coned speakers provide a surprising amount of volume), it sounds like the aftermarket route is how you prefer to go.

Just keep in mind that under- or behind-seat speakers, while "hidden" also provide NO highs (the speaker foam absorbs (attenuates) the higher frequencies). So unless the low-frequencies are all you want, you're probably going to need a couple of speakers (center of dash?) that reflect the full frequency range off the windshield ... just like the OEM stuff.

Hope it helps!

Old 01-02-2014, 09:20 PM

So is a rear defogger just blowing ambient air from inside the main compartment of the car across the rear window? There is no heating element? Does this really work in a cold/humid area?

Old 01-02-2014, 10:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentwheelbob View Post
I Have gone through the same debate regarding tunes for the few old cars I have. Ultimately I decided to simply get a Bose Soundlink bluetooth speaker that allows me to stream music from my smartphone and get satisfactory sound when I want it. No chopping, cutting, wiring, etc. Completely portable from car to car and available from Ebay for $250 or so. I'm sure that's not the answer for everyone, but I have great sounds for 3 different cars, I had no installation or modification requirements, and my total expense was $250 or $83 per car.
My Dad got one of these speakers from my brother for Christmas, so he could play his music from his Iphone. The sound quality was very good and filled the living room. I think that I will be going this route for the 66 Vert. The speaker is small enough that it can be placed on the console and as Bentwheelbob stated there is no need for chopping, cutting of wires or panels.

2006 GTO Phantom Black 6spd.
1972 Formula 455HO Ram Air.
1976 LE Trans Am 50th Anniversary Edition with T top.
1976 Formula 350.
1977 Grand Prix Model J 350.
1978 Trans am 400 Pontiac.
1979 Trans am 403 Olds.
1968 Olds 442.
1971 TR6.
Old 01-02-2014, 11:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8outdoorzman View Post
So is a rear defogger just blowing ambient air from inside the main compartment of the car across the rear window? There is no heating element? Does this really work in a cold/humid area?
Well, sort of... I never drive my car in the cold anyway, but am only putting the defogger fan back in because the car came with one. My first car (71 Demon/Duster) did not have one, so I mounted a small oscillating fan in the back window and wired to a switch under the dash. It was definitely better than nothing!

Old 01-03-2014, 06:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8outdoorzman View Post
Correct No Heat, It relies on cabin temperature.
When turned on it starts to clear the area just behind the drivers head,
usually will clear the whole glass by the time you arrive to your destination

In all seriousness it does work just not useful for frost.