Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 04-26-2013, 10:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Read all you can and try to make an informed decision.
Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	321224 and Bite the bullet.

Last edited by Blued and Painted; 04-26-2013 at 10:30 AM.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blued and Painted View Post
We all have a different ideas about what is street-able. If i want to take off and run 8 hours at 75/80 mph, i want something easy'er on the valve train. If i just want to run up and get a freezy-pop, old faithfull sounds good. On converters, I just call cliff and he sends me one.
I've never built an engine based on what it's going to sound like. I could care less as long as it suits my needs.
I agree on building an engine for performance and streetablity and not sound.....I totally disagree with the comment about run up and get a freezy-pop makes the "Old Faithful" cam sound like a dairy dip cruiser...which its not...my car drives much like a stocker with the old faithful cam mild and mellow...I also drive it over 1.5 hours to the track...also drove last year back 1.5 hours in the rain...no problems.Idles at 850 rpm,purrs like a cat down the road,runs on 89 octane......oh and runs mid 11's after driving it 1.5 hours in the middle of summer with 3.42 gears.

Old 04-26-2013, 07:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Don't get me wrong, I am most definitely building this motor with performance in mind. I want it to be as fast a manageable street engine as possible. BUT, if given the CHOICE, between two cams....I will chose the one with the most aggressive idle.

Old 04-26-2013, 08:50 PM
Pontiac Performance Author

I would go with Kevin's custom cam lobe selection , except I would spread it out to 112-114 lobe sep to compensate for the ex man restriction and some of the exhaust stream crosstalk that dilutes intake mixture in adjacent cyls. Yes , I know the SD man. has divided runners-but being so short, there is still crosstalk.
JD , you can call anytime to discuss.

Old 04-26-2013, 09:02 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta man View Post
I agree on building an engine for performance and streetablity and not sound.....I totally disagree with the comment about run up and get a freezy-pop makes the "Old Faithful" cam sound like a dairy dip cruiser...which its not...my car drives much like a stocker with the old faithful cam mild and mellow...I also drive it over 1.5 hours to the track...also drove last year back 1.5 hours in the rain...no problems.Idles at 850 rpm,purrs like a cat down the road,runs on 89 octane......oh and runs mid 11's after driving it 1.5 hours in the middle of summer with 3.42 gears.
That's exactly my point. The op wanted a noticeable idle that a tight lsa will give. A tight lsa will not cause a car to break down or overheat or anything else. Too much duration and overlap will cause driveability issues when the cam does not fit the combination( such as low compression and long cam timing) and results in the necessary awkward ignition advance requirements. Here is a link to a video of a stroker on a test stand with ported heads and a mild 230 @ .050 cam on a 110 lsa. It went into a stock weight '72 gto with, if I recall, a th400, mild convertor and 3.23 gears. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKPxZJdW2io Just skip to the :45 mark.

On a side note, I don't think there is anything wrong with wanting your car to sound a certain way. As long as it still runs HARD! When you are behind the wheel and your 06 corvette or cobra is idling like a sewing machine, it just doesn't feel the same. Just my opinion.

CNC Edelbrock heads
Custom Ground Cams
JOHNSON Limited Travel Hydraulic Roller Lifters

Last edited by paul s.; 04-26-2013 at 09:14 PM.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:07 PM
Senior Chief

Glad to see you entered the discussion, Mr Crocie. I have read many articles featuring your engines and found them very informative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEN CROCIE View Post
I would go with Kevin's custom cam lobe selection , except I would spread it out to 112-114 lobe sep to compensate for the ex man restriction and some of the exhaust stream crosstalk that dilutes intake mixture in adjacent cyls. Yes , I know the SD man. has divided runners-but being so short, there is still crosstalk.
That is another reason I am a fan of dual planes below 6,000 rpm.

CNC Edelbrock heads
Custom Ground Cams
JOHNSON Limited Travel Hydraulic Roller Lifters

Last edited by paul s.; 04-26-2013 at 09:13 PM.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEN CROCIE View Post
Back in the day I used a lot of Kens advice and parts and always great success. A true Pontiac guru!

Old 04-27-2013, 08:29 AM
Senior Chief

Well there you go then.

Old 04-27-2013, 06:00 PM
Pontiac Performance Author

That kid always tries to have the last word !