The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 03-29-2024, 06:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Replacing a rear quarter panel

I have been working on cars for 60 years and I professional mechanic for over 30. But I was not an auto body man. I have done lots of easy body work over the years. Do you think it would be possible for me to replace the rear quarter panel on a 1964 GP. My grandson has tried to get it fixed with no luck. He keeps getting screwed by body shops. I have seen it done many times but never tried it. My son is a welder by trade and I can gas weld. I am not able to electric weld because I have a pacemaker. I would like to try to help my grandson with his car..

Old 03-29-2024, 09:24 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I would suggest that it would be best to use a high quality mig to weld in a new quarter and by somebody who has experience butt welding that gauge of sheetmetal. My big question is whether you can find a relatively rust free donor car. Also have a question to whether your grandson's car has rust or not. A rusted outer wheelhouse panel will complicate things.

'55 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe - Ram Jet 350 / T56 Magnum 6spd, Restomod Completed Sept. 2012, Sold Sept. 2021 PHOTO
Old 03-29-2024, 09:37 PM
Senior Chief

Are you talking about a complete quarter or patch panels? There are lots of good video's on YouTube doing metalwork.

Old 03-30-2024, 12:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The car is an almost rust free Ca. car that was hit on the left side. We have a used complete quarter pan from another car already. The damage is not extensive but the panel is creased vertically and dented bad enough that fixing it would not be practical. If I do it I am planning on removing the old panel at the factory spot welds. There would be little or no butt welding. I planned on removing it at the door jam, pinch weld, at the welds behind the chrome trim where the roof meets the quarter and behind the quarter panel extension.

Old 03-30-2024, 03:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If you have a panel available, I would go for it. I had minor body work experience prior to doing both quarter panels on my car. I think doing the whole quarter at the factory seams is much easier that trying to cut in patch panels. I bought a decent spot weld cutter and went to work.

Old 03-30-2024, 07:49 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatracer1 View Post
The car is an almost rust free Ca. car that was hit on the left side. We have a used complete quarter pan from another car already. The damage is not extensive but the panel is creased vertically and dented bad enough that fixing it would not be practical. If I do it I am planning on removing the old panel at the factory spot welds. There would be little or no butt welding. I planned on removing it at the door jam, pinch weld, at the welds behind the chrome trim where the roof meets the quarter and behind the quarter panel extension.
In that case then, I say go for it as well.

I wouldn't discard the removed quarter though. Once it's off and easily accessible from both sides, repairing it would be much easier with a hammer and dolly. Then either save it or sell it.

'55 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe - Ram Jet 350 / T56 Magnum 6spd, Restomod Completed Sept. 2012, Sold Sept. 2021 PHOTO
Old 03-30-2024, 10:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1 View Post
In that case then, I say go for it as well.

I wouldn't discard the removed quarter though. Once it's off and easily accessible from both sides, repairing it would be much easier with a hammer and dolly. Then either save it or sell it.
I totally agree. Save that old panel!

Old 03-30-2024, 11:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The old panel is not savable. The body shop the car was at all winter cut a big hole in it. I have no idea why. The car also sat outside all that time with the door removed and the 2X2 ft hole. Another reason I want to try myself.

Old 03-30-2024, 12:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

one reason why body shops get away with crap like this is the car owners arent diligent in what kind of care the car gets.
If i saw this happening to my car it would get sealed up or put inside or both. Keep tabs on your project and if this does happen
and shop doesnt care,cover it yourself while you are finding a new shop

Old 03-31-2024, 03:23 PM

No reason you can't gas weld a replacement quarter panel on the car. Gas welding was the go to process for sheet metal replacement for the first 70 years of auto body work. Only the economics of commercial body repair led to it no longer being monetarily feasible due to it's a slower process and it required a more skilled employee.

Do some interweb searching on the subject and you will find lots of information. There are some very high quality welding torches still available today to make the job easier. Plus you can purchase one brand new and the money saved over a mig or tig will pay for your new panel. And no matter which way you go practice and attention to detail will be the keys to a successful completion.

And remember it's just sheet metal if you make a mistake just step back take a breath and start again. After all you started out replacing bad sheet metal.

https://www.tinmantech.com/products/welding/

http://www.spiuserforum.com/index.ph...talworking.14/

Good luck

Old 04-18-2024, 12:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Back in the 70’s ...we gas welded and brazed 1/4 panels on....patch panels too. The Mig didn’t hit the body shops until 1980 or so....in my area anyways.

Old 04-18-2024, 12:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Back in the 70’s ...we gas welded and brazed 1/4 panels on....patch panels too. The Mig didn’t hit the body shops until 1980 or so....in my area anyways.