Old 04-20-2014, 09:38 AM

Default Tri-Power Center Carb Mixture Screws

Has anyone successfully found/fabricated a good tool to adjust the mixture screws on the center Tri-Power carburetor?

I find them extremely difficult to access, so I am just checking in to see if there exists something out there to make the job easier.

Thanks!

Old 04-20-2014, 09:43 AM

Use the old school method by using two pices of rubber hose attached to your mixture screws to adjust your center carb, or you could use a blockoff plate on the front carb to access your carb screws .

Old 04-20-2014, 09:53 AM

Default Great Idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejgoat View Post
Use the old school method by using two pices of rubber hose attached to your mixture screws to adjust your center carb, or you could use a blockoff plate on the front carb to access your carb screws .
I didn't think of using the rubber hose; great idea! I understand I could have used blockoff plates but don't want to go that route. I will try the hose. Thanks again.

Old 04-20-2014, 10:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Snap-On, Mac and several others made a tool for this. I think I paid about $25 for mine on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Blue-Point-1..._Tools&vxp=mtr

Old 04-20-2014, 10:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default or this tool

I bought this tool in the late 70's and used it to adjust many GTO center carbs. I don't remember who made it but it is very good quality.
Someone on the forum will know about this tool. The rubber hose method also works good as mentioned above.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Center Carb Tool.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	361011   Click image for larger version

Name:	Center Carb Tool (1).jpg
Views:	59
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	361012   Click image for larger version

Name:	Center Carb Tool (2).jpg
Views:	58
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	361013  

1) 65 GTO Survivor. 43,440 Original Miles. “Factory” Mayfair Maize Paint with Black Pinstripe, Black Cordova Top, Black Interior, OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Purchased from the Lady that bought it new. Baltimore Built (11A).
2) 66 GTO Survivor. “Factory” Cameo Ivory Paint with Red Pinstripe, Red Interior. OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Tri-Power (OEM Vacuum Linkage), Automatic "YR" code (1759 Produced). Fremont Built (01B), with the Rare 614 Option.
Old 04-20-2014, 11:01 AM
Boost Engineer

I had a version of that tool that actually mounted on the center carb.

Had a bracket that held 2 knobs like the one you show. Had speedometer cables
that were connected to the knobs and the mixture screws.

You could just turn the knobs and control the mixture. Missouri had a lot of different ambient days in the early 60s so you could tweek the carb mixture screws for best
idle easily. It worked well but did not look factory. The tool mentioned by 60sstuff worked just as well and you did not have the stuff mounted on the center carb air horn.

The current tool from parts houses is more like my deal (NEW is minus the stiff housing on 60sstuff's tool).

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 04-20-2014, 11:14 AM

Default Lisle Tool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
I had a version of that tool that actually mounted on the center carb.

Had a bracket that held 2 knobs like the one you show. Had speedometer cables
that were connected to the knobs and the mixture screws.

You could just turn the knobs and control the mixture. Missouri had a lot of different ambient days in the early 60s so you could tweek the carb mixture screws for best
idle easily. It worked well but did not look factory. The tool mentioned by 60sstuff worked just as well and you did not have the stuff mounted on the center carb air horn.

The current tool from parts houses is more like my deal (NEW is minus the stiff housing on 60sstuff's tool).

Tom V.
I actually bought this Lisle tool last year, but it does not work in this application. When the bit is loaded into the tool, it becomes too long to fit it in where it is needed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	$_12.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	7.5 KB
ID:	361023  

Old 04-20-2014, 11:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have one of the little short speedometer cable type tools intended for this application (had it for years) but Friday when I tried to use it I couldn't get it to slide on the pass side screw. Not enough clearance between center and front carbs. I can still use a long screwdriver on that side without to much trouble. Trying it on the drivers side with the power brake vacuum pipe in place is tough enough for a screwdriver and the tool would be impossible.

But I like the thought of a piece of tubing over the screws (presumably placed before you start the engine and get it hot). But they might be tough to get off without messing up the setting. Somebody try it and let us know. I don't want to try blocking off the front carb and making an adjustment. Possibility of having a temporary vacuum leak when adjusting the idle makes me think the adjustment might not be correct. And my 61 style fuel lines need to be so tight to stop leaks that I don't want to chance breaking off fittings any more times than necessary.

Old 04-20-2014, 12:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have what Chris (60's Stuff) has. It's made by Blue-Point (Snap-On) and comes with several tips, one of which is a ball-allen tip for the ignition points, which comes in very handy as well. I've had mine for 35 years and still use it every time I adjust a carb.

Old 04-23-2014, 11:14 AM

I have always used a long slim-bladed screwdriver and been able to get it in the screw head enough to turn it without problems. You just have to find the straightest path through the front carburetor linkage and body parts. Of course, when you accidently drop it, it goes into the fan which then becomes a festive occasion.
Did that once. ONLY once...

Old 04-23-2014, 11:42 AM
Senior Chief

I just use a long 1/4" wrench, from the sides. That works great.

Be careful adjusting them. The idle mixture adjustment screws are very sensitive!
1/2 of a turn, in either direction, is a HUGE change!

1965 GTO, 408 tri-power, 4 speed, Currie 12 bolt w/3:42's, Hurst wheels
Old 04-23-2014, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurst65 View Post
I just use a long 1/4" wrench, from the sides. That works great.

Be careful adjusting them. The idle mixture adjustment screws are very sensitive!
1/2 of a turn, in either direction, is a HUGE change!
Yup.