WELCOME!

Go Back   PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together > PY Welcomes 2004-06 GTO Owners > 04-06 General Tech/Discussion

04-06 General Tech/Discussion 2004-2006 GTO General Tech and discussion.

Old 12-09-2004, 01:26 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by David Jones:
Lee who lists his location as Texas says his Mach 1 will do 12.99. Click find and search for 12.99. Champ was playing with words. "longest continuous" isn't a late model. He took lessons from mr-gto. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

MuscleCarClub.com 50 fastest:

# 46: 1969 Mustang Mach 1 : 13.90 @ 103.2
# 47: 1967 GTO : 13.90 @ 102.8

Didn't Champ say that no Mach 1 has ever been faster than any GTO ????
Old 12-09-2004, 01:36 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by The Champ:
Danny

Read what I wrote. I am absolutely positive that you couldn't beat me, even though in equal cars you'd blow me away...

There is just no way that _ANY_ stock Mustang built during the longest continuous period of Mach 1 production could beat any stock GTO ever built. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Musclecarclub.com 50 fastest:
#46 1969 Mach 1 :13.90 @ 103.2
#47 1967 GTO :13.90 @ 102.8

...seems faster to me...owned 3 Goats and I've never owned a 'Stang but I'll give credit where credit is due.
Old 12-09-2004, 02:45 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I'm not trying to argue with Champ, but I for one don't have a problem believing old Stangs could occasionally outrun old GTO's. They were both plenty slow ....

I do have a problem believing a new stock Mach 1 Mustang would touch a 12.99 - I would have to call BS on that one.

Mike M
Old 12-09-2004, 03:07 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by David Jones:
Thats a great story, but. Had they been lined up side by side at a drag strip and the Cobra won I'd say it meant something. To many variables in the way the story was told to really mean anything. You reckon the Cobra owner would have posted anything other than a "kill" on an SVT website. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Accually there are a few stories of cobras getting beat on there ,just doesn't happen very often.
Old 12-09-2004, 05:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by red70goat:

Didn't Champ say that no Mach 1 has ever been faster than any GTO ???? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What Champ DID say was:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I'll put any stock '04 GTO (even the automatic) up against any stock Mustang built during the longest continuous production period of the legendary Mach 1 by Ford.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And Champ is absolutely, positively correct.

The original Mach 1 was introduced in 1969 as body style 63C, body code 02 and ran until 1970 before being replaced. 2 years.

The next version was body code 05, body style 63R witch ran from 1971 - 1973. 3 years.

Then Ford committed a heinous crime to this venerable name, by reintroducing it in the Pinto/Mustang of 1974. At least they did put that powerful German built 105 HP V6 in to replace the Pinto's 2.3 liter 4 cylinder powerplant that was standard fare for the Mustang. This version lasted through the 1978 model, or 5 years.

This was a trick statement from the beginning, but what the heck... I got ya'll going on that one, and it gave me an opportunity to showcase that heralded period of Mustang production when NO V8's were available in a Mustang despite using the name Mach 1.

And Danny, tell me you could beat me while I was driving any stock GTO in the 1/4 mile with you behind the wheel of a stock 105 HP 6 banger Mustang Mach 1...
Old 12-09-2004, 05:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to Goathead

[QUOTEAnd Danny, tell me you could beat me while I was driving any stock GTO in the 1/4 mile with you behind the wheel of a stock 105 HP 6 banger Mustang Mach 1...
] [/QUOTE]

If you have bad gas and flat tires, maybe...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJrDl3nRNCM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fvywdocl4GA

http://ultimategto.com/icongraf/65headtitle.jpg
Old 12-09-2004, 06:18 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by The Champ:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by red70goat:

Didn't Champ say that no Mach 1 has ever been faster than any GTO ???? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What Champ _DID_ say was:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I'll put any stock '04 GTO (even the automatic) up against any stock Mustang built during the longest continuous production period.....
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh big deal! EVERBODY knows that. That is no different than when the once mighty Dodge Charger died a slow and emabarrasing death. Everybody knows by the mid to late 70's the performance era was pretty much over. That's like comparing a Minor League Baseball (MLB) team in the West to Major League Baseball (also MLB) in the East and saying "See,no MLB team in the West has ever beaten an MLB team in the East". Pretty lame Champ. Tell us something we don't already know.
Old 12-09-2004, 07:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Goathead:
If you have bad gas and flat tires, maybe... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't know Danny, those Mach 1's were mighty slow. Bad gas and flat tires may not be enough of a handicap...
Old 12-09-2004, 08:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by red70goat:
Everybody knows by the mid to late 70's the performance era was pretty much over. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, I guess if you take a 1974 GTO and put it up against a 1974 Mach 1, that isn't a fair comparison in your misguided opinion...

I guess I am glad Pontiac let the GTO die, rather than make it a very limp wristed car with an anemic V6 (imported no less) like Ford did with the Mach 1.

Now Pontiac has brought back a great performing, great handling V8 RWD car and all we here from the peanut gallery is that the styling should be different and that they are defaming the GTO name.

Most of these same folks go on at length that Pontiac should do like Ford with the Mustang. Well, I just showed you what Ford did with the Mustang Mach 1. And I think that is a more heinous thing than what Pontiac did.

Pretty lame Champ. Tell us something we don't already know. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Danny didn't think it was lame, and I value his opinion much more than yours...
Old 12-09-2004, 09:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Texas says his Mach 1 will do 12.99 <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was there and could not believe it. It was fairly new with no mod's, and the outside temp was about 85* at around 7 pm and the humidity was at least 90% (typical south Texas summer night).

Old 12-10-2004, 02:03 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

you put a better driver in a slower car and a shi**y driver in a faster car and it woudl make a world of diffrence.
Old 12-10-2004, 05:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Now Pontiac has brought back a great performing, great handling V8 RWD car and all we here from the peanut gallery is that the styling should be different and that they are defaming the GTO name. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
What constitutes "the peanut gallery"? Somebody whos opinion is different? Is the peanut gallery all the folks that have left them sitting on dealers lots because of various reasons? Bloated Cavalier styling, price, idiot dealers, no trunk.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 12-10-2004, 08:37 AM

[/QUOTE]Well, someone on this board does own a Mach that turns 12.99 straight from the factory with no mod's. Any '04 takers? [/QUOTE]

Ok.

-67 GTO hardtop, 400 4-spd

-04 GTO, yellow 6-spd

-04 GTO, orange 6-spd 455 stroker motor
Old 12-10-2004, 09:05 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Now Pontiac has brought back a great performing, great handling V8 RWD car and all we here from the peanut gallery is that the styling should be different and that they are defaming the GTO name. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
What constitutes "the peanut gallery"? Somebody whos opinion is different? Is the peanut gallery all the folks that have left them sitting on dealers lots because of various reasons? Bloated Cavalier styling, price, idiot dealers, no trunk. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Time and time again the Monaro Glee Club Elite show their true colors.
Old 12-10-2004, 09:06 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Howie:
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Well, someone on this board does own a Mach that turns 12.99 straight from the factory with no mod's. Any '04 takers? [/QUOTE]

Ok.
http://ultimategto.com/carshows/bondurant04/04_3502.jpg [/QUOTE]

oh jeez...is it 1974 again?
Old 12-10-2004, 09:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Time and time again the Monaro Glee Club Elite show their true colors. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Wow, now that was insightful. Is that how you answer a question you are unable to answer?

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 12-10-2004, 10:43 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Time and time again the Monaro Glee Club Elite show their true colors. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Wow, now that was insightful. Is that how you answer a question you are unable to answer? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wasn't referencing any question that had been posted but to the erroneous generalizations ( aka "peanut gallery" ) that others have of people who oppose what GM has done to the GTO.
Old 12-10-2004, 10:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Say whuut?????

Old 12-10-2004, 11:33 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Say whuut????? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

When I replied to your post it probably appeared I was the one generated the comment "peanut gallery". I should have specified that what you asked to who ever posted that comment was a good question and an astute observation. My reply was in the context of agreeing with you as to their generalizations of people who oppose the 2004 GTO.
Old 12-10-2004, 11:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

So, what does that have to do with a 12.99 factory stock Mach One verses an '04 Pontiac.....

Still no takers?....

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I do have a problem believing a new stock Mach 1 Mustang would touch a 12.99 - I would have to call BS on that one.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Since I am obviously lying, it must be a sure bet, and still no takers?