Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 08-03-2008, 08:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default New engine bleu smoke!!

Ok mij frind hase a new 35 over 455 with the eagle kit. edel heads and xe284 cam performer rpm manifold ecetera. hase been runn in with bradd penn oil and now runs on brad penn 10w30 raceing oil. car uses 1 quarter of oil in 75 miles it smokes only when you floor it!!! engine runns strong sounds good starts imidiatly it hase 200 miles on it. all spark pugs are black from oil!!. please advize............

Old 08-03-2008, 10:58 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

oil from pvc getting sucked in?

Old 08-03-2008, 09:42 PM

Unhappy

If all 8 plugs are oil fouled then it is probably not a ring problem unless filed wrong or installed wrong?

Old 08-04-2008, 02:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

ok the guy who instaled them is mainly a chevy guy!, what could he have done wrong!.

Old 08-04-2008, 07:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

1) He could have put the second compression ring on the wrong way, which is really a scraper and as such will be dragging oil up into the chamber instead of down into the pan.
2) Wrong cylinder wall finsh (ie) too course!
3)engine assembled with too much moly lube which will not let the rings seat in.
4) Rings where gaped wrong and broke.
5) could be running way too rich and just washing the oil off the cylinder walls and burning it, in which case by now(200 miles) it may be time for new rings again, along with a re-hone.
6) If the pistons where used than the ring land clearence could be too loose.
7) If the pistons where used and they where cleaned by glass beading, then they are now junk, as the ring lands will never seal again and the motor will use wat too much oil no matter how many times you re-ring and hone the darn thing.

Old 08-04-2008, 11:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve25 View Post
1) He could have put the second compression ring on the wrong way, which is really a scraper and as such will be dragging oil up into the chamber instead of down into the pan.
2) Wrong cylinder wall finsh (ie) too course!
3)engine assembled with too much moly lube which will not let the rings seat in.
4) Rings where gaped wrong and broke.
Steve same carb is used that sat on the same engine with the xe274 cam prior to rebuild. so i gues its down to these......

Old 08-04-2008, 11:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

He could have:
Put the scraper rings in upside down. (second ring)
Not stagger the gaps.
Put to coarse crosshatch in the cylinders.
not enough or to smooth on the crosshatch.
Put lube in the cylinders. (you only wipe a light film of oil in the cylinders to help with install)
Put compression ring in upside down. (top ring)

Old 08-04-2008, 12:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What kind of valley pan is on it? Stock, aftermarket aluminum with provision for PCV?

"There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots!"
Old 08-04-2008, 02:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes aluminium budler pan with pcv!!!

Old 08-04-2008, 02:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'd be willing to bet that's your problem. It was with my motor! I built my 400 with E-heads, hydraulic roller cam, RPM intake and a Butler aluminum valley pan with PCV. Almost immediately after startup of my new combo it was blowing blue smoke. It was fouling out spark plugs quickly and generally not running well.

To make a very long story short, I determined that the PCV was sucking up a significant amount of oil up into the intake! There isn't nearly enough baffling in the PCV port in that Butler valley pan to keep the oil from being sucked up. I couldn't get that pan off my motor fast enough! I found a nice stock 1970 non-EGR valley pan (to clear my roller lifters), installed it and the problem was solved!

I threw away that Butler pan, as I wasn't willing to pass my problem onto another person!

Old 08-04-2008, 02:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here are some pics of what my intake ports looked like when I removed the intake during the process of pulling that POS aluminum valley pan off!

Old 08-04-2008, 04:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

DANG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!John. that is some good info!!! my frinds engine hase a breather on that valey pan witch is conected to the carb with a hose!!!!!! so i asume thats the rezen why it is smoking onder ""full ""trottle and why all the spark plugs are carbon black and fat from the oil and why he used 1 quarter of oil on 75 mile trip, he drove a total of amount of200 miles with the thing!........ any sirgestions

Old 08-04-2008, 05:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Have him remove the hose and take a look inside. I'll bet he'll see that there is oil inside it. My best suggestion would be to remove the aluminum valley pan and use a stock pan that has been cleaned up. If that's not an option then I would remove the PCV and relocate it into a valve cover (assuming it is a baffled opening in the valve cover) and then somehow plug up the PCV port in the Butler valley pan.

If that was the problem, which I'm betting it is, then the smoking, oil consumption and fouled plugs will cease.

Old 08-05-2008, 01:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks john(and dutch injun who mentiond it first, but somehow i thought about the valve cuver breathers!! when he mentond that) would it have had any side efects on the ring seating????. during this 200 miles ride. it smoked only during some serius trottle.

Old 08-05-2008, 07:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If the 'Chevy guy' is experienced in engine building, it is unlikely that he incorrectly fitted ALL the rings upside down. The rings for Chebbies are made by the same companies that make them for Pontiacs, & would use standard industry markings such as 'dot' goes up.
Also, if the standard 455 ring pack is used, the first & second rings CANNOT be interchanged because one is 5/64" thick, the other 1/16".

Old 08-05-2008, 11:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Geoff i make you right!! . but the problem hase been solved...... it was the pcv in the vally pan . we disconected it and plugt it and had a 10 mile test drive and no more smoke!!!!!!!!. he puled it up to 6000 rpm. and it ran flawless... tanks again guys. good info and great help .. David

Old 08-05-2008, 12:04 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsma22 View Post
I'd be willing to bet that's your problem. It was with my motor! I built my 400 with E-heads, hydraulic roller cam, RPM intake and a Butler aluminum valley pan with PCV. Almost immediately after startup of my new combo it was blowing blue smoke. It was fouling out spark plugs quickly and generally not running well.

To make a very long story short, I determined that the PCV was sucking up a significant amount of oil up into the intake! There isn't nearly enough baffling in the PCV port in that Butler valley pan to keep the oil from being sucked up. I couldn't get that pan off my motor fast enough! I found a nice stock 1970 non-EGR valley pan (to clear my roller lifters), installed it and the problem was solved!

I threw away that Butler pan, as I wasn't willing to pass my problem onto another person!
Yep, I had the same with one of my motors. I would bet and hope that's the problem..

Old 08-05-2008, 12:05 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

LOL! Had'nt refreshed the page and see thats it! Let er rip Dave!

Old 08-05-2008, 12:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

lol thanks injun its Juri,s new engine by the way...

Old 08-06-2008, 07:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

roadrage david,

on an unrelated note, was the xe284 cam a roller or flat tappet?
I'm trying to keep track of succesful XE cam break-in's since I'll be doing one soon.