THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 07-19-2012, 07:28 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Question Home Generator?

Looking to buy a home generator for emergency electricity.

My electrician says 6500 to 8000 watts will do it.

Any recommendations?

Old 07-19-2012, 07:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via MSN to 1967Tempest

A lot of people would NOT tell you to buy a Harbor Freight generator. But in 2011 we had a Hurricane hit in August which knocked out power for 9 days. Halloween we had 48" of snow in 2 days. Which knocked out power for another 12 days.

I have put like 300 hours on it and it never hiccupped once. My friend has an even older HF generator rated at 10K watts and he literally runs 3 houses off of it!!!

I have the older model, but this is darn near the same one. Newer style and all.

http://www.harborfreight.com/engines...nia-68526.html

The one complaint I have is that the gas level indicator is a float style design and it stopped working reliably after like 100 hours.. But I know when its out of gas..LOL!!

I would go bigger and get the 8750 watts. Better to have too much than not enough..

The Burb Files
Old 07-19-2012, 07:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Depends on what you want to run with it while power is out?

Starting voltage is just as important as running voltage, IMHO.

We used to have a "low end" 5000 watt unit, but it didn't have enough "surge" to start things like refrigerators, freezers, well pump, etc. OK for one at a time at best, but if two tried to start at once, it just didn't make it.

We replaced it with a larger unit, 6750 surge, 5500 continuous, heavy duty Generac. Been fine now for the last 9 years, and has ran nearly a week at a time without any issues anyplace.

I use it for two refrigerators and one freezer, some selective lighting, TV, and the well pump. I shut down those items to heat water (electric water heater), and make sure I have low draw bulbs in the lighting I select to keep the load down.

It is NOT a good idea to power up your computer with one, as the voltage isn't as "clean" as what the power company provides....IMHO

Pretty economical unit, 5 gallons of fuel lasts about 12-14 hours at 50 percent load.

Make sure to hook it up directly into the panel thru a 30 amp breaker that takes the main off line, or get a dedicated transfer switch that does the same thing. Pretty important to isolate the power company feed from your generator when switching power.

I've helped several folks set them up. The most economical way is a simple isolation bar for the top right corner of your main panel, that will not allow the generator breaker to be on when the main is on. Run a heavy gauge cord to an outside receptacle for the generator, and a short HD cord from the generator to the receptacle. Separate dedicated panels are more costly, with additional breakers and wiring involved, but equally as effective and safe.

Forget running extension cords and such, they have too much voltage drop and are a PITA right to start with......Cliff

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
Old 07-19-2012, 07:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a feeling the storms and outages we have seen in the last few years are going to become more of a norm as utility companies continue to cut back and the weather changes. I'm planning on installing a propane fueled whole house generator in the next few months that will instantly transfer power over to the generator when the line feed fails. Total cost will be right around 5k but I think it will add at least that in value to the house & I will never have to worry about it again or go through what we did this past fall. 17kw will run everything I have here & since I already have propane I won't need to be running out to the gas station (that may not have power) every day.

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 07-19-2012, 07:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via MSN to 1967Tempest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff R View Post

It is NOT a good idea to power up your computer with one, as the voltage isn't as "clean" as what the power company provides....IMHO

Forget running extension cords and such, they have too much voltage drop and are a PITA right to start with......Cliff

X2! I have not hooked up a panel yet, but need to. And yes, most if not all generators that are portable have ripple in the power. Better to use a laptop and plug it in., The battery charger built in will help and stable out the power..

The Burb Files
Old 07-19-2012, 08:02 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boss View Post
I have a feeling the storms and outages we have seen in the last few years are going to become more of a norm as utility companies continue to cut back and the weather changes. I'm planning on installing a propane fueled whole house generator in the next few months that will instantly transfer power over to the generator when the line feed fails. Total cost will be right around 5k but I think it will add at least that in value to the house & I will never have to worry about it again or go through what we did this past fall. 17kw will run everything I have here & since I already have propane I won't need to be running out to the gas station (that may not have power) every day.
Don't mean to hijack but,

Boss, that sounds like a great idea. I wouldn't mind more info on that. Are you doing some/all of the install yourself, what brands do you like, etc. Thanks, Mark O.

Old 07-19-2012, 08:34 AM

I live in an area that when anyone farts the power goes out. PEPCO is our supplier. Don't know if you've heard of them, but theyr'e supposed to be the most hated commerciial entity in the nation. I ended up getting a 27KW Generac with a 4 cyl Mitsubichi. I wanted something that would run every appliance in the house at the same time. I didn't need that much KW, but the next size down runs at 3600 RPM and mine at 1800 RPM. I've had it two years and love it. Jon

Old 07-19-2012, 08:47 AM
Senior Chief

Went thru the no power crap with a portable 5000 watts

New home I had a Stand-by generator 30kw Generac. Powers the whole house, 5 sec after the power goes out it kicks in , I have monster filters on my tv, dvr, computer, to clean up. even powers the garage yes i did go with a bit of over kill but on the other end it does add three times its own value to the home.

Michael Hughes Sr
1966 GTO Convertable: Stolen never recovered
1966 GTO Hard Top .30 over 455 4-Speed 3:23 Posi
Old 07-19-2012, 09:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I just purchased this one from HD during our last power outage and They had a truckload of them coming the next day after our power went off. Typically our power is out for days at a time however it came back on before the truck got here, but I still decided to purchase it anyway. It's 5500 watts, 6875 surge 13 HP for $550. I got it home and fueled it up filled it with oil and read the directions before I started it. One pull and it was running, that impressed me. Compact size and it comes with wheels, absolutely no assembly required.

The engine is a Honda knock off made in China and from what I have read it's a reliable powerplant and there are really no weak links. I cannot report on how it works as other than breaking it in for 20 minutes and checking the power output. From what I've read the unit is supposed to be a fairly good unit. Price was right for me and I noticed it's quieter than my neighbors generators as far as exhaust noise. I'll probably Hot Rod the muffler anyway to try and make it even quieter than it is.

Link: http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...7;205500%20wat

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Last edited by Sirrotica; 07-19-2012 at 09:14 AM.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I installed a 14kw Generac this spring, runs the entire house with the exeption of my shop. With my job causing me to be on the raod for up to 4 weeks at a time, I did not whant my Wife to have to mess with hooking up a portable gasoline generator.

I was the envy of the block last week hen we lost power fo 30 hours, and it was over 100 F.

78 Catlina Safari, Pontiac 400 powered
77 Astre Formula, 215 Buick V-8 T-5
73 Lemans Safari, 400 4bbl 4-speed
71 Catalina Enforcer, 455 4bbl
06 Mallet Solstice #024 LS2, Now with a Tremec 6060 6-speed!
2012 F-150 Echo Boost (My local Ford Dealer SUX!!!)
2020 Dodge Charger Scat pack (recovered)
Old 07-19-2012, 09:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My dad bought a Titan 8500 with the "knock-off" Honda engine. It was expensive at the time, and he has had NOTHING but troubles with it. I just had it out here again last weekend, this time the micro switch that overrides the low oil pressure shut down was coming in and shutting it down after 2-3 minutes of run time.

I could fill 4 or 5 pages here with the "issues" he's had with it. Fuel lines are Chi-com JUNK, they rot just looking at them. Every "O" ring/rubber part in it rotted out in 6 months after purchase.

Vent hose from the engine rotted right of the airbox, allowing unfiltered air into.

The auto-choke feature is the biggest POS I ever saw, I converted it to manual after half a dozen problems with it and the linkage that works it.

I would avoid any of those units. The electric start units are known for the charging system failing as well. They are basically just piss-poor copies of a pretty nice unit.

I'd get the Honda powered unit, if going that direction....FWIW.....Cliff

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
Old 07-19-2012, 09:56 AM

Checkout Northern Equipment http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...ory_generators for good prices on generators. I bought a Generac from them after the Northridge Earthquake in CA. since I lost power for almost a week. It has a Honda engine, which I would recommend.

I also have a Onan 8K QD in my MH that I could use in a real emergency, with a 100 gal. (75 gal. available before it stops, so you still have sufficient fuel for the engine in MH to run) In a worse case scenario we could move into the MH.

Old 07-19-2012, 10:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by stags View Post
Don't mean to hijack but,

Boss, that sounds like a great idea. I wouldn't mind more info on that. Are you doing some/all of the install yourself, what brands do you like, etc. Thanks, Mark O.
Generac - 17kw

Since my house is already propane fueled (range, furnace, dryer & hot water heater) my electrical demand is comparatively low. 17kw will run the well, the A/C and even my hot tub if I wanted it to, plus everything else in the house.

They turn on automatically, do a weekly or monthly (depends upon setting) test cycle and I'll never have to worry about moving the thing by myself in the middle of a blizzard and will it start because I left bad gas in it or how am I going to go out & get gas for it every day when there's 22 inches of snow on the ground & trees down everywhere.

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 07-19-2012, 10:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I can't justify a whole house unit.....seldom loose power. However...last power outage was for 5 days from east coast "rare" storm in June..My little Honda 2000EI saved the day..going to purchase it's brother to join up for 4000KW...not sure of surge..
It runs on a demand throttle..you can stand next to it and talk..
Only filled reserve tank (3.5) twice in the 5 days..ran a fridge,lighting,TV,fans,...& computer. Very clean power..The savings in gas will pay for it..
I use it for my race trailer/camper too..double dipping..

ECM member.
2008 Outlaw Pontiac Drag Series Champion
MANDRA
Do it now fool! Life is short.

69 Grand Prix/3163lbs / IAII 535 w/ Tiger heads by Gaydosh....9.35@ 144 so far.. through mufflers. 1.26 60'.
Going back to track with pump gas engine....
My 60 Ventura retired to street/strip duty..
Old 07-19-2012, 10:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Here is picture of unit..weighs in at 49.5 lbs..
Very portable..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gen 2 (Medium).jpg
Views:	21
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	291609  

ECM member.
2008 Outlaw Pontiac Drag Series Champion
MANDRA
Do it now fool! Life is short.

69 Grand Prix/3163lbs / IAII 535 w/ Tiger heads by Gaydosh....9.35@ 144 so far.. through mufflers. 1.26 60'.
Going back to track with pump gas engine....
My 60 Ventura retired to street/strip duty..
Old 07-19-2012, 11:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If you're going with a portable generator, an alternative to running extensions cords or using a transfer switch is a unit called Generlink. It is installed between your meter and house by the electric company. It allows you to power any circuit in your house vs. the dedicated circuits included in a transfer switch.

http://www.generlink.com/about_generlink.cfm

'66 LeMans Hardtop, 400, FI, A/C, 4L80E.
'64 GTO Hardtop, "389", Tri-power, 5 speed, A/C, Yorktown Blue.
http://www.gtoaco.com
Old 07-19-2012, 11:14 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

We ran the refrigerator at my Dads on a 1200W UST brand generator that we have used at the track for quite some time, no issues with it at all. I had just purchased a 3500W/4000W surge Champion generator at tractor supply a few months back when they were on sale which my mother ran off of for 6 days with no problem. Not big enough to run the A/C on the house, but covered about everything else. The yellow champion units seem to be a lot of bang for the buck. They have larger ones also. I do recommend wheels on any generator that is bigger than about 1200W as they get heavy once you put 4 gallons of fuel in them!

Old 07-19-2012, 11:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron cozzo View Post
If you're going with a portable generator, an alternative to running extensions cords or using a transfer switch is a unit called Generlink. It is installed between your meter and house by the electric company. It allows you to power any circuit in your house vs. the dedicated circuits included in a transfer switch.

http://www.generlink.com/about_generlink.cfm

Good information Ron. Any idea of how much the cost is parts and labor from utility company?

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 07-19-2012, 11:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrotica View Post
Good information Ron. Any idea of how much the cost is parts and labor from utility company?
Sirrotica, I just purchased one. They have two models, with and without whole house surge protection. I got one with whole house surge protection and an extra long 40' cord. I think it was $700. Without surge is cheaper. AEP Ohio will install it for $100. AEP wants the home owner to purchase it themselves, then they schedule an install. I have a friend in Union county who had one installed I think by URE and I think he paid $650 total without surge protection. They sold the unit to him and installed it. So, call your utility company to find out their procedure. I like that I can choose which circuits to power. More flexibility than transfer switches.

'66 LeMans Hardtop, 400, FI, A/C, 4L80E.
'64 GTO Hardtop, "389", Tri-power, 5 speed, A/C, Yorktown Blue.
http://www.gtoaco.com
Old 07-19-2012, 11:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Please use common sense in locating the unit. We had a township man died because he thought it was ok to run it in the kitchen overnite.