THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 08-13-2023, 08:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Making the picture fit the screen setting...

Neither my Brave or Chrome browsers seem to make the pictures posted here fit the screen; some are ENORMOUS! (looking at you, thews...).

Other website shrink the pic to fit, ie max 1,500 pixel width.

Where can I find the setting to make these pix fit the post, screen, etc?

Old 08-14-2023, 07:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I think they are linking to a pic on another website. If they are downloaded to PY and stored on PY they are limited to a small size.

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 08-14-2023, 09:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You are no doubt correct.

What I am trying to find is if there is a setting on the browser that autosizes the picture to fit the screen?

Old 08-14-2023, 10:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Pictures that have been uploaded directly to this site get autosized, but as far as I know there's no way to control the size of pictures that have been linked from another site. Can you provide a link to the specific post so I can look at it?

Last edited by Stuart; 08-14-2023 at 11:35 AM.
Old 08-14-2023, 11:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Stuart, this would be a good example:

https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...27&postcount=1

Old 08-14-2023, 11:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Those pictures were posted through Tapatalk. I don't know much about Tapatalk, other than it's a very frustrating application to use . There may be some setting in Tapatalk to automatically adjust the photo size, but it's going to be the responsibility of the person posting them to make that selection.

Personally, I think for use on this or any other forum there isn't any need for pictures larger than 1024x768 pixels - I'd recommend people resize the photos on their computer and save them separately from the originals, and then use the resized photos for posts.

Old 08-14-2023, 12:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I dont have an answer but....

It's 2023

I'd gladly pay a reasonable annual maintenance fee to support a part-time programmer that could address issues like this. The programming effort involved to address this image sizing issue could not be too huge..

What would it cost? Re-purposing the shipping cost on an un-needed impulse purchase would not be difficult.

This forum saves me hundreds of dollars. I'd pay something for that.

IMO there are other opportunities that surface and could be fixed by an experienced software professional.

Asking the general members to resize photos is a technically viable work-around for this issue but seems a URE for many of those members that are less computer savvy...

Mike

Old 08-14-2023, 12:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't know what a URE is, but resizing photos is very simple to do on most computers. I do it for emails as well, it just seems like a common courtesy.

The Following User Says Thank You to Stuart For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2023, 01:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There are extensions for Chrome that automatically resize images in the browser. I've never used one so I can't comment on how well they work .. but they are out there.

Do a search on something like "Chrome automatic image resizer extension"

Don't confuse the extensions that allow you to resize images through your browsers like an app ... you want one that automatically resizes images in your browser window.

Old 08-14-2023, 04:02 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarebird View Post
Neither my Brave or Chrome browsers seem to make the pictures posted here fit the screen; some are ENORMOUS! (looking at you, thews...).

Other website shrink the pic to fit, ie max 1,500 pixel width.

Where can I find the setting to make these pix fit the post, screen, etc?
Did you mean the massive thews ebay pics? They don't fit on yer screen?

I don't have that issue Edge on windows 10 on any device.

What kind of device do you have?

'74 T/A 455 Y-code SD clone

previously on Dawson's Creek:

'74 T/A 400
'81 AMC SX/4
'69 FB 350
Old 08-14-2023, 04:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

90% of my posts nowadays are done from my Android phone. If I'm going to post a photo I have to use Tapatalk. It's the only time I use it. Tapatalk gives you three size options. The largest size is for a premium account only, which I don't have or want..
Below is an example of the free medium size pic from the Tapatalk app... It's 1000 x 750 pixels. The premium size is 4000 x 3000. That's probably the "screen stretcher".

Sent from my moto g stylus (2021) using Tapatalk

Old 08-14-2023, 04:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I use tapatalk and usually choose small when uploading pics here.

USPS Money Orders or Wal-Mart to Wal-Mart money gram wire transfer -preferred payments.

If Payment doesn't show up in 3-4 days, I move on to the next person that wants it.

Serious Inquiries Only - Shipping Isn't Free.
Old 08-14-2023, 10:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
I don't know what a URE is, but resizing photos is very simple to do on most computers. I do it for emails as well, it just seems like a common courtesy.
Sorry about my acronym - UnRealistic Expectation... but I understand and agree MOST people on this forum are able to change an image size. But for those that cannot or those that just don't, we are left with this thread.

I know how to resize images on my phone, PC, and tablet but it takes an effort and I have to switch applications away from PY. I'll agree the process is simple, but I consider it a nuisance. It seems Tapatalk might make it easy on the upload side.

The PY software will warn me if my uploaded pics are too large. When this happens, I go through the steps needed. But the point is, why can't the PY software resize the image instead of warn me? And if PY software is smart enough to block a "too-big" upload, why can't it block a "too-big" image hosted on a different server?

Again, I'd gladly contribute a little to have the forum software modify displayed images to fit my device screen size so I don't have to think about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
There are extensions for Chrome that automatically resize images in the browser. I've never used one so I can't comment on how well they work .. but they are out there.

Do a search on something like "Chrome automatic image resizer extension"

Don't confuse the extensions that allow you to resize images through your browsers like an app ... you want one that automatically resizes images in your browser window.
This sounds useful. Edge is based on Chrome. Maybe there is an extension for Edge.

If anyone knows a solution for Edge, please share.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepontiacman View Post
I use tapatalk and usually choose small when uploading pics here.
I can't see squat on my phone so prefer a bigger display. Laptop and desktop are my friends and the PY interface works well on both using Edge. All my photos from phone, wife's phone, or digital camera are uploaded to the cloud at "standard" resolution for those devices, which is pretty high. Per above, reducing image size means I have to save a duplicate at a lower resolution before uploading to PY, which is a nuisance.

I guess I'm spoiled by all the phone and browser apps that "just deal with it". Adobe developed Acrobat many many years ago to deliver a "device-independent" document/image and I have to believe the software to achieve something similar for a "browser-independent" PY image display is quite achievable... if it was funded.

The Following User Says Thank You to Shiny For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2023, 12:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I tried Edge; it did indeed resize the pix to fit the browser. It was also "responsive 2017" - so I switched it to 2015 and the pix blew up in size.

I went back to Brave, same thing: 2017 fits, 2015 huge.

The Following User Says Thank You to Scarebird For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2023, 10:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
90% of my posts nowadays are done from my Android phone. If I'm going to post a photo I have to use Tapatalk. It's the only time I use it. Tapatalk gives you three size options. The largest size is for a premium account only, which I don't have or want..
Below is an example of the free medium size pic from the Tapatalk app... It's 1000 x 750 pixels. The premium size is 4000 x 3000. That's probably the "screen stretcher".

Sent from my moto g stylus (2021) using Tapatalk
Awesome interior!

The Following User Says Thank You to scott70 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2023, 10:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarebird View Post
I tried Edge; it did indeed resize the pix to fit the browser. It was also "responsive 2017" - so I switched it to 2015 and the pix blew up in size.

I went back to Brave, same thing: 2017 fits, 2015 huge.
Wow, this is weird and interesting. Good spot!

I see the same behavior.

The "Responsive 2017" setting on the PY software auto-shrinks the images on my PC running Edge, but the 2015 style that I always use does not.

So the PY software is indeed capable of managing the displayed image size, it's just inconsistent between the style formats.

I'll bite my fingers....

Old 08-15-2023, 10:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott70 View Post
Awesome interior!
Agree

The Following User Says Thank You to Shiny For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2023, 05:11 PM

Using Firefox. The pics like the blue interior don't fit my screen in the forum itself, but if I right-click and select "open image in new tab" they fit.

Old 08-15-2023, 11:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longs View Post
Using Firefox. The pics like the blue interior don't fit my screen in the forum itself, but if I right-click and select "open image in new tab" they fit.
Just curious, did you try swapping the PY Style between 2015 and 2017 as shared by Scarebird? I thought it was weird that made a difference but it did!