Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 06-01-2023, 09:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff R View Post
Here is the best way to seal the rear of the pan. Forget any type of rubber seal, they have a BAD habit of squishing out and starting a major oil leak. I cut a custom seal from a piece of 1/4" thick rubber impreganted cork material. It's available on-line.

Then just apply a dab of RTV to the ends, set the pan and not one drop of oil will every get past it.......
thanks for showing pics of the cork gasket. some gasket kits include a piece of 1/4 cork gasket for this.

my milodon pan that is designed for the early the 3 tab style rubber seal was installed with the cork gasket as per the link from mr p body i posted above. i used the 5 prong rubber seal before i knew about the cork on 2 other cars & they are doing good 10-12+ years later, but they have a double bead & the 5 tabs retain the seal better than the crappy early 3 prong one.

Old 06-01-2023, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff R View Post
Here is the best way to seal the rear of the pan. Forget any type of rubber seal, they have a BAD habit of squishing out and starting a major oil leak. I cut a custom seal from a piece of 1/4" thick rubber impreganted cork material. It's available on-line.

Then just apply a dab of RTV to the ends, set the pan and not one drop of oil will every get past it.......

Thank ,Cliff .Alot of good info on here .Like the oil pump pick up sceen .Instead of brazing ..I used the cork gasket in the 1814 kit .Rtv ed in place .Then put more rtv on the back When pan was on . Still have 2 carbs here with your parts in them ..Might be looking for a 73 carb though .Mines à 69 .The fuel inlet is different.Or an adapter And i like the electric chose..Think one is heat stove type . Your oil pan gasket looks solid .Thats the way to go . Thanks Cluff .