Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 01-25-2012, 11:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65nss4spdGTO View Post
These heads seem to have an identity crisis. The east coast mafia feels the heads are no good for a race engine and the west coast guys say it's to much for the street. I guess we will just call it an Ugly Hybrid.

Calvin Hill
Hill Performance / Mondello Tech Center
708-250-7420
Calvin you told me & others that my car/engine wasnt street it was race. You post this and you are calling it a street engine. What is the difference, besides yours has more cubes than mine and its down on power compared to mine and the bsfc is sky high compared to mine. This has nothing to do whats so ever with the heads. I bet this car sees as much street driving as mine (once or twice every couple of months) but mines still a pump gas race car for some reason and this is a street car. Either way good luck to the owner they are a complete handful on the street!

Old 01-25-2012, 11:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Calvin,I dont think the heads are too much,I drive a 380 plus head on a 366 almost everyday now that im retired.I said the cam is too much for a true street car and STILL stand by that.Tom

Old 01-26-2012, 12:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbird View Post
So this is a street engine, not a pump gas race engine?
.... i think it's only fair, for someone to call it what they want, based on how much "radical" they can tolerate, it comes down to personal preference i guess, but, this engine idles nicely at 900-950 rpm, has a peak hp at 6800, and makes 620 ft-lbs at 3200 rpm, and does not fall below 600ft-lbs until 7,000 rpm, so in my opinion, i'd call it a street motor .... i'm sure this engine will run well with 3,500-4,000 convertor behind it ....
.... after all the pulls on the dyno, which were all with 93 pumpgas, the engine never went above 160 degrees, and never detonated once .... it uses rocker arms & guide plates, what more do you want from a drivable street engine ?? ....

.... also, it should be said, during or after all the dyno testing, we never had to adjust the rockers once ....

.... this thing will fit under a stock hood of just about any Pontiac, with the exception of a Fiero maybe, yeah, i'd say it's a street engine, defintely ....

Old 01-26-2012, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbird View Post
Calvin you told me & others that my car/engine wasnt street it was race. You post this and you are calling it a street engine. What is the difference, besides yours has more cubes than mine and its down on power compared to mine and the bsfc is sky high compared to mine. This has nothing to do whats so ever with the heads. I bet this car sees as much street driving as mine (once or twice every couple of months) but mines still a pump gas race car for some reason and this is a street car. Either way good luck to the owner they are a complete handful on the street!
Well, we will see how it is on the street and how it drives ! Because that's what I am doing and if its not want I want we will go from that point. By the way it's going in a stock appearing 67 Gto and it's all under the hood which is a must .

So please don't get too concerned about it as it might be a little lite on hp and torq compared to your 496, but I will get by as we all know there's no port speed with CV1s because the ports are too big.

I just get tired of guys talking about somebody's else stuff like they were there when the build was being discussed maybe it will be fine, maybe not but at least I won't have to worry about Being told what we did wrong because it has e heads on it!

After all it's all part of the fun of the hobby so lets see how the CV 1 cars run this summer. I would think the bench racing should be over by then.
If they don't run you get to say we Told you so. Besides then the CV 1 guys have to buy the beer.

Old 01-26-2012, 06:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by pontsd View Post
Well, we will see how it is on the street and how it drives ! Because that's what I am doing and if its not want I want we will go from that point. By the way it's going in a stock appearing 67 Gto and it's all under the hood which is a must .

So please don't get too concerned about it as it might be a little lite on hp and torq compared to your 496, but I will get by as we all know there's no port speed with CV1s because the ports are too big.

I just get tired of guys talking about somebody's else stuff like they were there when the build was being discussed maybe it will be fine, maybe not but at least I won't have to worry about Being told what we did wrong because it has e heads on it!

After all it's all part of the fun of the hobby so lets see how the CV 1 cars run this summer. I would think the bench racing should be over by then.
If they don't run you get to say we Told you so. Besides then the CV 1 guys have to buy the beer.
Sorry, but what I posted had nothing to do with you or your head choice. I believe it to be a street engine just as I believe mine was. What I posted had to with Calvin.
Again nice engine build. It will be a real handful on street.

Old 01-26-2012, 11:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

what does something like this require for maintenance and/or what are the service intervals and to what components? what does it have for valve springs and what are their expected lifespan? what's the expected lifespan of the engine in general before it would be a good idea to take it down and inspect/freshen up the internals? thanks

Old 01-26-2012, 11:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Meaney View Post
what does something like this require for maintenance and/or what are the service intervals and to what components? what does it have for valve springs and what are their expected lifespan? what's the expected lifespan of the engine in general before it would be a good idea to take it down and inspect/freshen up the internals? thanks
The valve springs are 1.500" doubles, 225 on the seat and 700 over the nose. It has a good crank, scat rods 6.800" rods, standard cam journal, economy roller rockers, .080" wall push rods. For street use, I would expect a normal high performance service checks.

This engine would be a perfect bracket engine.

Calvin Hill
708-250-7420

Old 01-27-2012, 12:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Was a time when .500" lift was a big street cam and .600"+ was considered insane for the street. Better quality valve springs, valvetrain components and lobe profiles have sure changed the picture.

Old 01-27-2012, 10:40 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Meaney View Post

matt,
im jim from roland racing.
80% of my customers use roller rockers with their cv-1's and report that after they adjust lash for breakin, they dont have to touch them for the rest of the season. that includes street cruising and/or track action. so i reccommend once a season lash check for engines like this one.
another important feature is the proven improved cooling of the cv-1's. many report 15-25* drop in engine temps with no other changes. thats especially important during hot summer cruising months with the a/c on. for example, we exchanged ported 6X's with cv-1's on my buddy's '73 428 t/a. the engine temp dropped from 205* to 180*. the radiator never seeped into the overflow again!
jim
417 209 7395

Last edited by 7T2; 01-27-2012 at 10:52 AM.
Old 01-27-2012, 11:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

How to tell when your engine is finally making enough power:

When you start it the first time, and your wife calls the insurance agent to double your life insurance!

Great thing about developments like these shows how much the applied thermodynamics of proper combustion chamber design mean for getting the most power out of a pound of fuel. When you look at things like -20 degree changes in operating temps, unheard-of octane tolerances, low initial timing, makes you wonder what the heck the engineers were doing in the 40 years prior!

Old 01-27-2012, 01:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragtop Man View Post
How to tell when your engine is finally making enough power:

When you start it the first time, and your wife calls the insurance agent to double your life insurance!

Great thing about developments like these shows how much the applied thermodynamics of proper combustion chamber design mean for getting the most power out of a pound of fuel. When you look at things like -20 degree changes in operating temps, unheard-of octane tolerances, low initial timing, makes you wonder what the heck the engineers were doing in the 40 years prior!
Love the 65-66 2+2 cars!

We could make a new side badge for your car that says, 2+2+ 813HP!

Calvin Hill
708-250-7420

Old 01-27-2012, 03:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

LOL... it would go from 6 mpg to zero

Do you guys ever mess around with less fearsome street combos?

Old 01-27-2012, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragtop Man View Post
LOL... it would go from 6 mpg to zero

Do you guys ever mess around with less fearsome street combos?
Calvin promised me at least 14 - 15 mpg and 15 " of vacuum for power brakes , so don't let him off the hook! LOL !!!

Of course that might have been the part of the conversation were he said something about no problem if it was behind a tow vehicle.

I did forget to mention To him I was going to put A/C on it!