Old 06-28-2012, 08:03 AM

Default concourse radiator repair

need help finding who are the best to recore a radiator for a 65 gto. I need someone who can do accurate concourse work. So far I can't find anybody. I do have some decent tanks,but need recoring.

Thanks if you can help.

Old 06-28-2012, 09:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Any reputable radiator shop can solder your tanks onto a new 4-core radiator. Let them know you need it to look like OEM. Be prepared to pay, however. Mine cost $415 for a 4-core, using my tanks.

'64 GTO Tripower Hardtop (Wife's Car)
'64 GTO Tripower Post Coupe (My Car)
'99 Bonneville SE Sedan
Old 06-28-2012, 11:35 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Don Kyte at Alumitech has a guy that does concours work.

Old 06-28-2012, 12:00 PM
Senior Chief

If your tanks are in good shape, you are half way there. If they need any tweaking, your body shop guy can help you out. If you have the original core, or a sample core from the same era, take that to your radiator shop. They will need it to take measurements and to get the correct number and the contours of the fins, and the side appearance for your new core. Make sure the new or existing sides of the new core have the two 0.5 in. square cutouts (each side gets them) to receive the two clips. These two clips (black phosphate) are used to secure the radiator overflow hose. If you want to transfer the tag (if equipped - some got the tags, others an ink stamping) from your original to a replacement tank, you may want to braze it to the new tank prior to mounting. According to Harrison and based on my own observations, the drain petcock was mounted to the radiator when painted, and both should be painted a 55 degree sheen of black.

Old 07-02-2012, 05:03 PM

Thanks for the help

Old 10-29-2013, 09:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Help,
I had my 65 4 core radiator re-cored by a local shop. These guys have done resto work and are accomplished. But here is the issue. rad. guy said to do a correct resto. he would have to remove my side panels from my oe radiator to send to core vendor to install on new core. OK. got rad back painted it ( told him i wanted to paint ) installed it and all good . until i tried to fit the overflow hose clips. i got two repro clips (square type). well cant see where they fit . Jake says on the side panel of rad . others say core support WTH.

searched forum for old post and found two old post. could you guys straighten me out on this.

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...overflow+clips

Old 10-30-2013, 07:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Do a search on ebay

Quote:
Originally Posted by dld View Post
i got two repro clips (square type). well cant see where they fit . Jake says on the side panel of rad . others say core support WTH.
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...overflow+clips
I just viewed "two" different ebay auctions of 65 radiator core supports. One still has the two clips attached to the support and the other shows the two holes for those overflow hose clips.

1) 65 GTO Survivor. 43,440 Original Miles. “Factory” Mayfair Maize Paint with Black Pinstripe, Black Cordova Top, Black Interior, OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Purchased from the Lady that bought it new. Baltimore Built (11A).
2) 66 GTO Survivor. “Factory” Cameo Ivory Paint with Red Pinstripe, Red Interior. OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Tri-Power (OEM Vacuum Linkage), Automatic "YR" code (1759 Produced). Fremont Built (01B), with the Rare 614 Option.
Old 10-31-2013, 07:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sstuff View Post
I just viewed "two" different ebay auctions of 65 radiator core supports. One still has the two clips attached to the support and the other shows the two holes for those overflow hose clips.
To be more clear. i'm not seeing a place for the square type clip to attach to core support. further as per Jake's statement. the clips went on radiator.

i have no square holes in my radiator side panels. the old ones were to be installed on new core. not sure if that happened though. i was remiss in checking out oe rad closely

i will try to find the core support on e bay

THANKS for your help Don

Old 10-31-2013, 08:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

60sstuff

ok ..i relooked at my core support after checking the two you mention on ebay. There they were the square holes. had to look from the front side.

Thanks ...lost sleep on this one LOL

Old 10-31-2013, 08:16 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Rad core support

The clips are on the driver side where the side of the radiator would sit against the side of the support. This ebay listing has a perfect view of this. It is the 1st picture.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1965-PONTIAC...-/190945479691
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	e.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	341405  

Old 10-31-2013, 08:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Smile

EXACTLY!
That auction is one of two that show the overflow hose clip locations on a 65.

1) 65 GTO Survivor. 43,440 Original Miles. “Factory” Mayfair Maize Paint with Black Pinstripe, Black Cordova Top, Black Interior, OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Purchased from the Lady that bought it new. Baltimore Built (11A).
2) 66 GTO Survivor. “Factory” Cameo Ivory Paint with Red Pinstripe, Red Interior. OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Tri-Power (OEM Vacuum Linkage), Automatic "YR" code (1759 Produced). Fremont Built (01B), with the Rare 614 Option.
Old 10-31-2013, 09:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

No holes in rad. for the clips , the holes are in the core support driver side .

Old 11-02-2013, 07:44 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I checked PY and did not see the 2 clips available. Did I miss them or are they not reproduced?

Old 11-02-2013, 10:54 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I found them at Ames Performance. $12.00 for the pair w/the correct greenish finish.

Old 11-11-2013, 07:37 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by dld View Post
To be more clear. i'm not seeing a place for the square type clip to attach to core support. further as per Jake's statement. the clips went on radiator.

i have no square holes in my radiator side panels. the old ones were to be installed on new core. not sure if that happened though. i was remiss in checking out oe rad closely

i will try to find the core support on e bay

THANKS for your help Don
DLD

My apologies. I started making general comments on radiator repairs, then wandered off into details relating only to the 1964. I will try to quantify future statements hoping to stay out of trouble.

Jake