Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 12-18-2023, 12:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This is funny, there was a guy from that area Bruce Fluper had done a motor for him, but when they dyno it, it didn’t make the hp he claim it would, it had E-heads, so he bought the motor to me, I check it out, the guy had put the wrong plugs in, for like a iron head. Way too short, The plugs were actually firing up in the hole. Put right plug in and dyno it again, and it made the hp it was supposed to. Bruce sent me another roller cam, I still have that cam, ended up being a gift from Bruce. For helping guy out. It made 650 hp. I was running 10.30’s back then so he Felt confident in bringing me the motor to check out.

Last edited by Gach; 12-18-2023 at 12:38 PM.
Old 12-19-2023, 01:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gach View Post
The new issue that has cropped up in past few years is pin hole leaks in one of the cylinders. Had it happen to a friend in his all original 67 GTO. Evidently they rust from inside out. Had to have it sleeve, also just saw 64 Speed go through same thing. On a block he pick up. So question is, do you go though the process of having it pressure tested. Kind of scary to think about. This is something new to me.
Had it happen all the time in 6.9/7.3 IDI diesel blocks due to cavitation in the water jackets. We had an additive for the coolant that prevented corrosion of the water jackets, but for the live of me I can’t remember its name. Spent hour drilling inspection holes into the right cylinder banks to inspection for advanced corrosion.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
The Following User Says Thank You to hurryinhoosier62 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2023, 01:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah you know never thought about that (due to cavitation) just made me think, understandable

Old 01-21-2024, 04:04 PM

This issue is now fixed with a new trip to machineshop. I now have .0029 on all expect thrust bearing with 0.0032. Should work out good I guess.

The Following User Says Thank You to PontiacLars For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2024, 07:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacLars View Post
This issue is now fixed with a new trip to machineshop. I now have .0029 on all expect thrust bearing with 0.0032. Should work out good I guess.
It should be fine.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
The Following User Says Thank You to hurryinhoosier62 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2024, 08:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Looks like you have a winner there now! Your rod clearance in the other thread is OK as well. If I remember right Molnar specs. .0025" minimum. So you are fine.

The Following User Says Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post: