Old 06-23-2016, 09:25 AM
Senior Chief

Default Anybody ever seen this?

I seen a set of 7f6 heads with that casting number and date code ground off. Anybody know why they would do it? They did a good job doing, just why? Can't get pics to post I'll try again later.

Old 06-23-2016, 09:29 AM
Senior Chief

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 06-23-2016, 10:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

sure..i see it often..for non-pontiac people i just looks like a regular head..

or they are hiding the facts of date codes etc...not unusual..saw a lot of t in the late 90s...ive found many set of pontiac heads with numbers and dates ground off...who knows what they where thinking when they did it..stealth?fraud?stupidity? who knows..it doeas hurt them for a resto though..

certain heads had the codes ground off...removed or restamped from the factory..like service pieces etc..but never heard of it on those...but i am not an expert

The Goat whisperer

"I spent a lot of my money on booze, crazy women, and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."

Old 06-23-2016, 11:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have understood that for many years rebuilders would remove the original casting identifiers, and either leave blank, or re-stamp to create a "matched" head to another one they had in stock;
This was done to create matched sets of heads for customers looking for replacement heads.
Of course, changes would have been done to (hopefully) make the two heads the same cc size, valve size ect...

Why the date code was ground off - that I do not know.

Maybe some shop's bonkey got overzealous while removing the casting number - and though he had to remove that too??

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 06-23-2016, 04:59 PM
Senior Chief

Back in the early 90's I'm went and looked at a Super Duty, it had round port heads with the cast number removed. Back then I don't think I was wise enough to look for a date code. The car was somewhere in the Bay Area

Old 06-23-2016, 06:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

When I bought my 68 Firebird ex-IHRA drag car, the head numbers were ground off.

This car was built and raced B-modified production in 1969. Apparently the original owner started with Ram II heads, but there was a question of the casting numbers because the heads didn't have the 96 on the ports. He had issues with some tech inspectors. Pontiac sent him a letter stating that early Ram II heads didn't have casting numbers. That is true, but they had RA cast into the end port. This guy started running Ram IV heads by grinding off the casting dates and casting number and used the letter to get by tech inspections.

I have seen several sets of heads with the casting numbers missing or stamped in. The job was so clean it looked like there may have never been a number present. I'm told dealers kept these heads in stock in various chamber sizes (72 cc, 75 cc, etc) and would use them as service replacements.

Mike

Old 06-24-2016, 10:37 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have a head just like this as well, the other 7F6 is not grounded off, some people !

Old 06-27-2016, 11:27 PM
Senior Chief

Well thanks for all the info guys! How much does it hurt the value?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 06-28-2016, 01:15 AM
Suspended

IMO value would be about 1/2 of what a marked head would be. Although, there are some E-heads out there right now that have been cut & ground to make them look just like an SD head. They have cut the ends of the heads to have all the original casting marks & indents that a factory head would have. Even the numbers & letters are somehow welded into the exhaust ports to show the numbers there. Some will do almost anything to make a buck no days. There was a pic up on this site not to long ago showing how good the head looked compared to an iron head.

Old 06-28-2016, 02:51 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The head numbers are ground off my 455 heads. Now I know that these heads were "worked by a shop, some porting and valve work. I assumed that since the heads were worked, whomever did the work ground off the numbers.

Old 06-28-2016, 08:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

i dont know if it kills half the value, but it does hurt it...just depends on who wants them...the resto guys would overlook them....hot rodders, it wouldnt matter as much...after all..they are round ports..

The Goat whisperer

"I spent a lot of my money on booze, crazy women, and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."

Old 07-06-2016, 07:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My 0 9A built 71 TA has an August 13th built block & intake, but there isn't any date codes on the heads. Just the normal 191 casting on the ends and the X & C on each side of the 2 center ports. I was told some were dated...some were not. Mine aren't.

Have any of you saw this? Don't know if this is typical or not, but I did discover that my heads were stamped with a 1 on the #1 (left bank) exhaust port and a 8 on the #8 (right bank) exhaust port. they were stamped on the smooth gasket mating surface of the heads next to the bolt hole. Never knew that was there until I was power brushing the heads up for high temp paint.

My guess... is that during assembly the one that had the "8" on the port got the heater hose fitting pressed in and that kept it simple for not duplicating it on both heads. There's probably another reason that totally escapes me.

Pigeon Forge, Tn. Grand Rod Run Spring 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUIuGvWWthA

http://s223.photobucket.com/user/fas...d%20Run%202012

Son video'd this...
http://s223.photobucket.com/user/fas...a.mp4.html?o=0
Old 07-07-2016, 10:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Several years ago, I was offered about 60 - 65% of what I thought an untouched NOS 70 Ram IV head was worth at the time for my NOS Ram IV with the numbers ground off. We both were inflexible and I still have the head.

You don't see many single round ports come up, and heads with the numbers ground off are even fewer. It's hard to tell what someone will sell one for, and what someone will pay.

Mike

Old 07-08-2016, 06:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971455HO View Post
My 0 9A built 71 TA has an August 13th built block & intake, but there isn't any date codes on the heads. Just the normal 191 casting on the ends and the X & C on each side of the 2 center ports. I was told some were dated...some were not. Mine aren't.

Have any of you saw this? Don't know if this is typical or not, but I did discover that my heads were stamped with a 1 on the #1 (left bank) exhaust port and a 8 on the #8 (right bank) exhaust port. they were stamped on the smooth gasket mating surface of the heads next to the bolt hole. Never knew that was there until I was power brushing the heads up for high temp paint.

My guess... is that during assembly the one that had the "8" on the port got the heater hose fitting pressed in and that kept it simple for not duplicating it on both heads. There's probably another reason that totally escapes me.

Early 71 197 heads had no dates, and later ones did...my Judge is 08D and no dates
Has a F 70 block, and other pieces too.