EFI Tech All things EFI and making classics modern!

Old 07-02-2013, 09:59 AM

Default Which EFI System

Hi All,

I am really looking into converting over to an EFI system and wondering if anyone has experience with any of them. Professional Products Powerinjection 3 seems a good choice but I have read some complaints about their after purchase customer support. The EZ-EFI or the MSD Atomic EFI are also possibilities. Currently a Holley Double Pump 750 with return pressure regulator.

Any help is always appreciated.

1967 Firebird
1971 455 bored 40
4 Speed Muncie
Hydro roller cam
MSD Ignition

Thanks

Old 07-02-2013, 10:54 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Run, don't walk away from powerjection 3. Reasons? Well first I should say i am in the early stages of setting mine up. First and foremost, if your looking for a plug and run system, this is NOT for you. Even their own techs ( x techs) say it is a complicated system to configure, not plug and play. Second. Software is glitchy, from what os it runs on, it's annoying tendancy to hide files and the numerous work arounds that you need to rember to get around these glitches. Third, almost every component shipped with the kit sucks. Plan on replacing the TPS and temp sensor right out of the box. Have a drill handy to rework the secondary linkage as it works poorly out of the box. Fuel on demand iffy, fuel filter And pump useless. If you choose this route at least buy the basic kit and supply your own. Finally, support at least online from the company is non existent. There are some very helpful people on the forum and I am getting my system in line but they do not work for the company.
I have not given up (as I am already invested) and admittedly have no experience with the other systems so am not sure if any of the above applies to them as we'll.
My 2 cents anyway.
Steve

236 244@ .050 108 LSA .511 lift, duration 289,297 @.oo6
Edelbrock Aluminum 87cc round port heads Larger valves ,ported polished and cut
Powerjection3,T2 manifold, Try-y’s
Flowcooler water pump.
71 formula with TKO600,hydraulic clutch 3.42 posi and 26 inch tire.
17x9 YO Honeycombs with Nitto 555's
Old 07-02-2013, 02:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfdsteve View Post
Run, don't walk away from powerjection 3. Reasons? Well first I should say i am in the early stages of setting mine up. First and foremost, if your looking for a plug and run system, this is NOT for you. Even their own techs ( x techs) say it is a complicated system to configure, not plug and play. Second. Software is glitchy, from what os it runs on, it's annoying tendancy to hide files and the numerous work arounds that you need to rember to get around these glitches. Third, almost every component shipped with the kit sucks. Plan on replacing the TPS and temp sensor right out of the box. Have a drill handy to rework the secondary linkage as it works poorly out of the box. Fuel on demand iffy, fuel filter And pump useless. If you choose this route at least buy the basic kit and supply your own. Finally, support at least online from the company is non existent. There are some very helpful people on the forum and I am getting my system in line but they do not work for the company.
I have not given up (as I am already invested) and admittedly have no experience with the other systems so am not sure if any of the above applies to them as we'll.
My 2 cents anyway.
Steve
Buick guys seem to have the same complaints about Powerjection 3. I have no hands on experience or real opinion on the other plug and play setups.

The Silver Buick- '77 Skylark coupe w/455, SPX, MegaSquirt 3 & TKO-600 (Drag Week 2011, 2012 & 2015!)

1969 Firebird with a turbo'd Pontiac L6 controlled by a MegaSquirt 3 and backed with a microsquirt controlled 4L60e and 4.56 gears! (Drag Week 2018!)
Old 07-02-2013, 02:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

So you're considering a throttle body style setup? For the same money just about, you can get a port injection setup, may want to consider that. Once you get all the support items in place, like fuel system, sensors, ECU, you are not far from a port setup. Much more flexible for one. And you can go sequential if you'd like.

1970 GTO Judge Tribute Pro-Tour Project 535 IA2
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=760624
1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ght=procharger
Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zKAS...ature=youtu.be
Old 07-02-2013, 07:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a FAST EZ port injection setup and it works well. No problems to date and throttle response is crisp. All adjustments are easy and with the exception of idle speed, all are made from the drivers seat. Plug and play but make sure you do your homework on a proper fuel system.

66 GTO Convertible. LS3-525 HP. Legend LGT700 5-speed, Wilwood 4-wheel disc brakes, Ridetech coil over front susp, PMT rear susp, Hotchkis bars, Billet Specialties 18" Dagger's (18X9 rear, 18X8 front).
2002 Ram Air WS.6 convertible Trans Am. Wife's car.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There would be a FAST EZ on my car right now if my motor didn't eat a throttle plate bolt. That being said, this is a Pontiac site which means get ready for a flood of recommendations that a carb is better and FI is a waste of money. I say there is a lot more to enjoying a car than screwing around tweaking on a carb for weeks. If one has a lot of money tied up in a carb then use it. If one is starting from scratch and wants to invest in FI for nothing other than improved driveability, I am all for it.

71 Formula 433, Splayed cap 400 block, 4" stroke Scat forged crank, 6.8 Eagle rods, custom Autotec pistons. SD 295 KRE D ports, Old faithful hybrid roller, Torker II, Holley Sniper Stealth, Tribal Tubes, TKO 600, 3.73 Eaton posi.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:32 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I also recommend a port system vs tbi. But the differences when running are pretty minor.

I would also only get into a system that also allows for ignition control.

There's lots of choices out there. I went with Megasquirt and it's clearly not plug and play. But if you start with a clear plan, it's pretty easy to get predictable results.

Dave

Fishing guide in the Washington state for Salmon, Steelhead and Sturgeon. Fish-On!
Old 07-02-2013, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishin2Deep4U View Post
I would also only get into a system that also allows for ignition control.

Dave
Why is that your preference? Excluding the actual EFI "ecm" and other air//fuel components, what other parts or mods are required for the distributor?

Old 07-02-2013, 10:51 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Depending on the system, it can be as simple as a locked out dizzy or as complex as coil on plug. Most commonly, an hei is used. But I have seen points distributors used with an ignition box.

It's just too easy to set timing advance curves to what the engine wants, when it wants it. In my case, the temp goes up, idle drops, ect, I can control a little more advance. You can have a perfect curve pretty simply.

The bottom line is that even a simple tbi will work. It'll work similar to a well tuned carb. Or you can go whole hog. My system consists of a megasquirt ecm, 2011 camaro fuel pump in a vaporworx tank kit, edelbrock victor efi, 2011 camaro fuel injectors, ls truck coil on plug, accufab throttle body, ect,ect. I wanted to run a dead head fuel system at 4 bar to fight vapor lock like the new cars. Many parts were bought used or low mile to keep cost down. I also built the ecm.

Lots of time and money can get wrapped up in efi. But I would not go through the effort without the ability to control timing.

I am waiting for the prototype oil pump drive with integrated sensor on the top. It's been months! Next is an adapter to use a 60-2 trigger wheel. Just another part of the car hobby disease!

Dave

Fishing guide in the Washington state for Salmon, Steelhead and Sturgeon. Fish-On!
Old 07-03-2013, 01:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Shop around for the best price you can find on the FAST EZ system, then let me know. I may be able to save you a few bucks.

Lee

'67 Firebird [sold], ; 11.27 @ 119.61, 7.167 @ 96.07, with UD 280/280 (108LSA/ 109 ICL)solid cam. [1.537, 7.233 @93.61, 11.46 @ 115.4 w/ old UD 288/296 108 hydraulic cam] Feb '05 HPP, home-ported "16" D-ports, dished pistons (pump gas only), 3.42 gears, 275/60 DR's, 750DP, T2, full exhaust
Old 07-03-2013, 05:29 PM

Thanks for all of the info. I have been speaking with several people and researching. It seems the MSD Atomic(dumb name though IMHO) EFI has good reviews. Seems a pretty robust kit. The after purchase support seems strong on their forum.

Car is a weekend cruiser. Looking at this for reliability.

Anyone heard anything or experienced good or bad with them? I have heard of issues with the EZ-EFI.

Old 07-03-2013, 06:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via MSN to 428GTO70

I will be using the Holley Hp EFI TBI system. Its self learning and controls spark, electric fans, etc. Its not installed yet but I should get it going within the next month or so when I get my engine together.

1970 GTO 458 CID .040 over 4 Bolt 428 Block, Forged Eagle 455 Crank, 295 CFM SD KRE D-Ports, SD Old Faithful HR Cam + Comp HR Lifters, PPR Maxx-lite rods, Racetec pistons, PRW 1.65 SS Rockers, 900CFM Holley HP TBI, Performer RPM, Hooker Super Comps, 3" X-Pipe into 2.5" mufflers/tailpipes, 2.75 1st TH400, Continental 13" Converter, 8.5" 3.08 Posi.
Everything installed, fired up and tuning has begun!
Old 07-03-2013, 11:43 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 428GTO70 View Post
I will be using the Holley Hp EFI TBI system. Its self learning and controls spark, electric fans, etc. Its not installed yet but I should get it going within the next month or so when I get my engine together.
Lots of good reports on this system. It appears to be easily upgraded as well.

Dave