67-69 Firebird TECH Includes 69 TA.

Old 08-17-2022, 01:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce
Default Measuring for Square in the Rear End

While performing a toe adjustment on my car recently I had some odd things during the procedure that leads me to believe my rear end housing has walked in two directions.

While using the string method, I noted that the driver's side rear wheel did not evenly contact the string, while being contacted at the front wheel/tire.

This is odd in my circumstance for two reasons.

First, the rear wheels are a 9.5" while the fronts are an 8" and all previous times I've performed this procedure, the rear wheel outside track is wider than the front wheel outside track. The string should never contact me front wheels at all.

Second, the passenger side front wheel/tire combo was further away from my string than has been typical of previous toe adjustments.

This leads me to believe that my rear end housing is not only off center to the passenger side, but also canted by about an 1/8" driver's side wheel forward.

Can I get a good measurement for square by measuring on the diagonal from the housing center to the opposite rear frame rail pickup, marked "H" on the the checking diagram? If not, is there a better triangulated measurement location?

I have already verified that the leaf spring pins are seated properly in the lower shock plates.

I am also aware that this could be a subframe squaring issue and not an issue with the axle out of square. This weekend I will measure the subframe as well.

Any thoughts on this? Thanks!