Old 08-21-2009, 02:08 PM

Question Getting shocked by HEI distributor!

I was in the process of adjusting the timing on my 1970 LeMans. I have a 455 with a 350 Turbo automatic. I was off a tooth when I put the HEI distributor in. So, I took it out to moved it by one tooth. I should also mention that I had an accident with some antifreeze. A bit of anti-freeze splashed and some got into the distributor, I dried it off thoroughly, and put it back in. It started fine. Ran fine, even idled ok. I wanted to rotate the distributor a bit just to get the timing right and I keep getting shocked. Does anyone know what the problem is?? Did the splash of anti-freeze ruin it?

Old 08-21-2009, 02:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sounds like the cap or wires are leaking the voltage. Try cleaning the wires with brake clean.

Car is a junk yard dog and maybe one day will be restored.
Old 08-21-2009, 03:17 PM

Thanks for the input. I found the problem-- a wire came loose and came away from the plug.