Exhaust TECH Mufflers, Headers and Pipes Issues

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-30-2022, 01:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

On an Fbody I don't care for the dual muffler setup. Very difficult if not impossible to get any decent sized muffler (that I prefer to run) tucked up high enough that it isn't an eye sore or a road hazard.

Really no performance hit on the transverse if you run a good muffler designed like a Dynomax Ultraflow X, Pypes Race Pro etc.... where the inlets and outlets still have their own pipe going straight through the muffler. They get restrictive with the cheap "packed" mufflers which is what gives them that crackly sound.

I went back and forth with that stuff many years ago testing at the track and I can say without a doubt on a typical 400hp street car there is literally no difference at all between all the 2 1/2" systems. I've went back and forth with a Flowmaster kit too using their chamber transverse muffler using the old Force II system if you remember those. As restrictive as those mufflers are reported to be, there was no difference. I did a bunch of that testing on the same Firebird in the video above.

Now on a 600 or 700hp car there could be a difference, but on something like that I'd be running a 3" system anyway and that changes things.

Plenty of F.A.S.T. guys running the Pypes tranverse 2 1/2" kit per rules and running well into the 10 second area, and the PS guys use it a lot as well on many of the F and X bodies in the class, and are going quicker than most of us here in the street section.

I put one on that blue Firebird above that made over 500hp and sleep fine at night knowing it's not hurting the performance of that car.

But if in doubt, you could always opt for exhaust cutouts, put some electric doors on, and then bypass the whole thing when ever you wish by pushing a button. I have that deal on a few cars here and it's an absolute ball.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE