Old 03-16-2005, 08:39 PM

Send a message via MSN to Pontiacer Send a message via Skype™ to Pontiacer

I've got a '72 Lemans w/power drums. Does anyone know what F-bodies will swap over? What all parts do I need? (spindles,caliper brackets,calipers,combination valve, proportioning valve,misc brackets,etc.)I can possibly get my hands on a f-body complete subframe w/brakes. Thanx!!

Old 03-16-2005, 08:39 PM

I've got a '72 Lemans w/power drums. Does anyone know what F-bodies will swap over? What all parts do I need? (spindles,caliper brackets,calipers,combination valve, proportioning valve,misc brackets,etc.)I can possibly get my hands on a f-body complete subframe w/brakes. Thanx!!

Old 03-19-2005, 08:17 AM

According to Hollander's Interchange manual the spindles calipers and rotors from a 67-69 F body will fit on a 70-72 A body.
As far as the other stuff when I swapped to disc on my 70 Tempest from non power drums I changed the master cylinder (it's a bigger one for the calipers) power booster and added a front pressure metering valve which mounts to the master cylinder bolt and inline with the front brake line. I used the same proportioning valve.
I hope this helps. -Ken

Old 04-15-2005, 09:46 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via Yahoo to SteveGB21

On the disc brake setup, the '69-'72 GM A-Body setup will work (Pontiac: GTO/LeMans Sport/LeMans/Tempest; Oldsmobile: Cutlass/ Cutlass S/F-85/442; Buick: Skylark/Special/GS; Chevrolet: Chevelle/Malibu/SS). I think also the '69-'72 GM G-Body (Pontiac Grand Prix; Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme; Chevrolet Monte Carlo) should work. As with the GM F-body ('67-'69) and the GM X-body ('68-'74), only the rotors, bearings, and calipers will work. The suspension systems were different on these cars. Hope that this helps out.

Old 04-15-2005, 11:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You can use the '75-'79 F-Body spindles on an A-Body, but it's not a true bolt-in.

1. A lower ball joint from the F-Body will be used, but you will have to have the body machined down to fit the A-Body lower arm. Hotchkis and Energy Suspension sell these ball joints already modded I believe.

2. An outer tie-rod end from a '79 Chevy Malibu will be needed to mate the spindle to the centerlink/inner tie-rod/adjuster sleeve assembly.

3. (And most expensive) A set of aftermarket tubular upper control arms will be needed. If you use the A-Body upper arm, the geometry will not be ideal, and more than an inch of shims will be needed to get the front end close to alignment. You can get these from Hotchkis, etc.

462 cid/ 6x-4/ TH400/ 3.36:1/ 28x10.5/ 3880#/ 12.35 @ 109.36/ 1.69 60 ft/ 4 wheel disc brakes/ 15 mpg
Old 04-16-2005, 06:37 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Here the comments I got from the time I posted a disc question.
http://forums.performanceyears.com/g...1/m/2251031611

I am waiting for wy disc set up to show up. It should be here any day now. I wish fedEx was a little faster.

*SOLD * 1971 LeMans street car, 428ci TH350 3:31 12 bolt, 3880#,13.6 @ 101.82 Show & go

1964 Tempest work in progress 400 with Tremec 5 speed

1967 LeMans drop top project. I tracked down my great grand father & dad's old car.
Old 04-21-2005, 10:01 PM

I picked up a complete set-up directly off of a '71 Tempest. Everything minus the hose brackets. I think I'll fab my old ones to fit. I was told I could keep my existing power drum booster. I just bought reman loaded calipers(used the Tempest ones as cores)and new master cyl.(Tempest one looked pretty crusty and new one was dirt cheap...I'll hang on to it for future use). Debating about new Combi valve. Old one cleaned up nice,but...... Don't really like the $85 price tag (GM). Glass-beaded all brackets....I won't blast the backing plates because they look too good. I think they're coated with somthing(some type of undercoating?)I'll just degrease and paint over w/stainless colored rattle-can.I figure looking as good as they do after 34 yrs, stripping them would be a mistake.