Old 04-19-2005, 01:46 PM

I've read through the past discussions, there wasn't a ton of recent info on this.

Has anybody recently purchased a new repro? Have how was their experiance w/ it?

Are they of decent quality, or should i just try to find an existing one, or possibly rebuild mine?

Thanks.

Old 04-19-2005, 01:46 PM

I've read through the past discussions, there wasn't a ton of recent info on this.

Has anybody recently purchased a new repro? Have how was their experiance w/ it?

Are they of decent quality, or should i just try to find an existing one, or possibly rebuild mine?

Thanks.

Old 04-19-2005, 01:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The repro core supports are pretty nice. The metal is slightly thinner than OEM, and the spot welds aren't quite as large in diameter (almost as through the GM welding tips were pretty well worn when they made the originals), but overall they are very good.
Given the choice of patching together a rusted original or going with the new repro, I would go repro in a heartbeat.

Old 04-19-2005, 03:23 PM

Thanks for the quick response!

I was doing some reading and it seems Goodmark makes a '70 GTO GM "Restoration Part" core support.

According to them the "Restoration Part" means they use the exact same specs. Is this really what Restoration Part means?

Old 04-19-2005, 07:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

More than anything, the "GM Restoration Part" means that the manufacturer is paying GM for the rights to use the logo. Seriously, GM has nothing whatsoever to do with ensuring the original blueprint accuracy of the repro parts- they are simply out to make money off of parts that they have long since discontinued.
The radiator core supports, along with the 1970 GTO hoods, are very good reproductions. Comparing the repro to a mint, unrusted original, you will see some detail differences. More along the lines of contour depth and stamping crispness. Typically, these are MORE pronounced on the new repro, likely due to the thinner steel, and more sharply defined (or not yet worn) stamping dies.
Once installed, however, these details will be very difficult, if not impossible, to see.

Old 04-20-2005, 08:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have both the repo radiator core and hood on my recently completed 70 GTO and am very pleased with the fit and quality. You would be hard pressed to tell they weren't original. My body man was very happy with the quality too. Saved a lot of money in body work to fix the old ones.

Old 04-20-2005, 12:17 PM

thanks for the info guys.

Aaron