Old 04-01-2005, 12:41 PM
Senior Chief

I need to remove the kick panels on my non airconditioned 72 Lemans GT for painting. I have removed the dash and the kick panels are now exposed but wont come off. I do not see anything holding them on. There must be something. Also, how do you remove the air vent knobs? Thanks

Phil

Old 04-01-2005, 12:41 PM
Senior Chief

I need to remove the kick panels on my non airconditioned 72 Lemans GT for painting. I have removed the dash and the kick panels are now exposed but wont come off. I do not see anything holding them on. There must be something. Also, how do you remove the air vent knobs? Thanks

Phil

Old 04-01-2005, 03:37 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

From what I remember you pry the grille part off and then there are screws inside there (I think four). As for the knobs from what I've read you need to break them off with vise grips if you want to replace them. If they're good you can disconnect the cables inside to remove the panels, while leaving the knobs on.

Old 04-01-2005, 06:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There are more than 4 screws, and most of the time they are burried in the plastic. The heads are 5/16" and there is one that holds the vent cable that also needs to be removed, or you will break the plastic cable housing. The factory used a ton of grey putty to seal them in place so you will have to fight with them a bit. If I remember you have to push them towords the firewall to get the front part out and then slide it out.