Old 02-13-2005, 08:24 AM

I've looked through alot of the posts and seen that a 200-4R would make a good addition to my 70 GTO convertible, mainly from the ease of vehicle conversion. There are many 200-4R builders out there: Art Carr, Bowtie Overdrives, CK Performance, Monster Motorsports, Level 10, Performance Transmissions (Raptor), Phoenix Trans, and TCI Performance. I was wondering whom all of you think is the best from a durability and cost perspective. I am interested in a street trans (400-450 HP), not a racing one -- other than the occasional "stoplight" race! I would appreciate any opinions and comments you guys have.

Bob M.
1970 GTO Convertible
Originally: Sierra Yellow/Sandalwood Int/ Sandalwood Top w/ 400 4BBL Auto Trans
Currently: Red/Sandalwood Int/White Top w/ 400 4BBL Manual Trans
Built in Baltimore Plant - 1st week of Nov. 1969
Old 02-13-2005, 08:24 AM

I've looked through alot of the posts and seen that a 200-4R would make a good addition to my 70 GTO convertible, mainly from the ease of vehicle conversion. There are many 200-4R builders out there: Art Carr, Bowtie Overdrives, CK Performance, Monster Motorsports, Level 10, Performance Transmissions (Raptor), Phoenix Trans, and TCI Performance. I was wondering whom all of you think is the best from a durability and cost perspective. I am interested in a street trans (400-450 HP), not a racing one -- other than the occasional "stoplight" race! I would appreciate any opinions and comments you guys have.

Bob M.
1970 GTO Convertible
Old 02-13-2005, 09:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have the same ideas...i also have a 70 convertible fremont built...would like to change to 3:55's in the rear and install a 200 trans, spoke to a guy hear in sacramento this week who machines a lot of internal parts for many of the shops you mentioned.. if you want one of these trans to operate properly, a pro needs to set up and do the final tune...i still want it but its $$$$$...let all us know what u decide.

http://www.ptsnctb.com/

Old 02-24-2005, 02:18 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have a Fremont built 1970 that came with 3.55's, but someone pulled them out long before I bought the car. I put 3.55's back in, but found that the engine spun way too high for my preference on the highway. I put in a 700R4, but the 2004R is an easier install. Either trans can be built to take Pontiac torque. All the trans shops you mentioned are good. I went with Phoenix Trans. Expect to pay in the range of $1,750 inc. converter. That is just the trans. You will need to purchase or perform the labor plus any driveshaft, mount mods. You'll like the final product. You end up with a lower first gear for better launch plus much lower cruising RPM at 70MPH.

Old 02-24-2005, 03:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My son and I both used BOWTIE OVERDRIVES 200 4R with good results. The tech line talks you through the way they want it adjusted when you install it so there can be no miss understandings.

Old 02-25-2005, 01:27 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

One of the most important issues you will have with installing any overdrive trans is with the carb linkage. The overdrives use a cable that controls both the shift points and pump output. One of the design features of these transmissions was to allow variable pump pressure to depend on throttle input and not just RPM. Most Pontiac carbs do not readily convert to the correct ratio between the carb and trans cables. Late model Q-Jets (mostly Chevys) had throttle linkages with the proper geometry. The aftermarket kits to convert Q-jets to this geometry do not typically work on Pontiac linkages. The throttle linkage on my 1970 carb is bolted to a throttle plate flange. I just took off the stock external linkage and bolted up one that I robbed from a late model boneyard piece. Unless you obtain the correct relationship the shift points and pump pressures will not be correct ... this can cause extremely harsh shifts or premature clutch pack wear. It's not too difficult to achieve, but if not done properly it can be an expensive mistake.

Old 02-28-2005, 02:58 PM

Thanks for the advice GTOFormula -- do you have a picture of the throttle plate flange set up you mention? I having difficulty picturing it. Or do you know of a reference that shows this modification.

Bob M.
1970 GTO Convertible
Old 03-04-2005, 11:51 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I wrote an article that covered the trans swap. It is being published in the GTOAA Legend magazine. Part one has already been mailed and part two will be in the next issue. I may have sent them pictures of the linkage so watch for the next issue.

Old 03-04-2005, 02:23 PM

Thanks, GTOFormula, I am a member of GTOAA and have seen both parts of the article so far (Part 2 arrived earlier this week). I look forward to seeing the final segment which must have the TV cable installation and adjustment description.

Bob M.
1970 GTO Convertible
Old 03-31-2005, 10:56 PM
Senior Chief

My suggestion is to find a local transmission shop that will build and warranty and install it. I know that Bowtie makes good stuff but they are pricey. I was going to put a 200r from them in my 396 chevelle and the trans was $1020.00 and the rest of the parts were 790.00 dollars for a total of 1711.00 without installation. My local transmission shop that I have used for other vehicles custom built and installed a 700-r4 for $1800.00. and if I have any issues I can just take it in town to get fixed, not hours away. I haven't had any problems.
They are waiting for my 70 GTO to come out of the paint shop so they can install one in it as well. I would have liked to have done the install myself but to save 90.00 it wasn't worth it for me. Just my two cents.

Old 04-03-2005, 11:22 PM

BobsGTO, I have a 200 r4 in my 67 firebird. I love tooling around with the 326 2bbl. I get 18-19 on freeway. I have had to make one adjustment on the t.v. cable since installation. In hindsight, I would have gone with the Gear Vendors overdrive unit. I paid $1700, plus some accessories, which brought it closer to the Gear Vendors price. The point is would you like a four speed or a six speed?