Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 02-16-2023, 07:02 PM
Senior Chief

Default hp heads

Check your rockers closely depending on your rocker style the 3/8 single taper pushrods will foul on the rocker near high lift requiring grinding for clearance. My combo was crower hippo solid rollers with 10.400 pushrods and scorpion rockers.

Old 02-20-2023, 02:50 PM

Went with cast flow (~330cfm?). I tried to port my victor intake the best I could, but down the road I'll get the KRE intake to match. I'm in the DFW area, race at Xtreme, Ardmore, Motorplex and sometimes Paris.

Took it out Saturday for the first bracket race with the same jets I had in my carb from previous set-up and with the air we had I figured it would be somewhat lean and the split times and MPH varrying pretty much proved that. However, I was very pleased with the results. I could tell it made more HP when I flashed the converter - previous set up flashed about 53-5400, and in the driveway, I rolled into it on the brake and it went straight to 5600 (another reason I raised the shift). I may end up putting my tighter converter in it because my hydraulic roller cam is probably running out of juice any higher than 6200.

We had better air the last race of the 2022 season and it was running 6.48 - 6.49 @ 104. Saturday, second pass down the track went 6.38 @ 107. This is the cleanest this engine has ever sounded and I raised the shift to 6200 from 1st pass (went 6.43 @ 106 but shifted about 150'). Went as fast as 6.35 but like I said it was pretty lean. Going to go up 2 steps in jet sizes, and adjust flow on my pump to try and get the splits more consistent. What I like to see is no more than about .2 MPH swing when wide open. Good start and happy overall, going to make a few changes this week and see what happens.

The Following User Says Thank You to patches4392 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2023, 03:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by patches4392 View Post
My set-up really underutilizes the capability of the heads, but another reason I jumped on board was I could eventually put them on something more radical. I bracket race and that's about all I do.

I'll be used 1.6 or 1.65 harland sharps stud mounted. My cam is a 248/254 .563/.584 112 LSA Hydraulic roller. 428 block, should be around 13:1 compression now. I have a nitrous kit on it, but haven't ever sprayed it wide open. From the 330' on I've laid on it and it went 6.24 @ 113.

Hoping to get my heads and engine back next week so I can put it all together , get the pushrods coming and take it out for a test n tune prior to the season starting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patches4392 View Post
Went with cast flow (~330cfm?). I tried to port my victor intake the best I could, but down the road I'll get the KRE intake to match. I'm in the DFW area, race at Xtreme, Ardmore, Motorplex and sometimes Paris.

Took it out Saturday for the first bracket race with the same jets I had in my carb from previous set-up and with the air we had I figured it would be somewhat lean and the split times and MPH varrying pretty much proved that. However, I was very pleased with the results. I could tell it made more HP when I flashed the converter - previous set up flashed about 53-5400, and in the driveway, I rolled into it on the brake and it went straight to 5600 (another reason I raised the shift). I may end up putting my tighter converter in it because my hydraulic roller cam is probably running out of juice any higher than 6200.

We had better air the last race of the 2022 season and it was running 6.48 - 6.49 @ 104. Saturday, second pass down the track went 6.38 @ 107. This is the cleanest this engine has ever sounded and I raised the shift to 6200 from 1st pass (went 6.43 @ 106 but shifted about 150'). Went as fast as 6.35 but like I said it was pretty lean. Going to go up 2 steps in jet sizes, and adjust flow on my pump to try and get the splits more consistent. What I like to see is no more than about .2 MPH swing when wide open. Good start and happy overall, going to make a few changes this week and see what happens.
I would think that cam should still have a little left at 6200.

Stan

David Vizard & Stan Weiss' IOP / Flow / Induction Optimization - Cam Selection Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV
Download FREE 14 Trial IOP / Flow Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV/Flow_..._Day_Trial.php
Pontiac Pump Gas List
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/pont_gas.htm
Using PMD Block and Heads List
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/pont_pmd.htm