Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 11-23-2023, 01:07 PM
Senior Chief

Default No spark with FiTECH

I hope everyone is having a good thanksgiving. I had time to work on my TA this morning before lunch and have hit a roadblock.

A couple of months ago, the ECU went out on my TA. I wasn't too surprised as it was a first edition and I have had it 12 plus years.

I had a spare Fitech in the shop from my son's camaro which unfortunately got totaled from a deer strike. The car ran fine when we pulled the motor so I have no reason to think the unit is bad.

I swapped it onto the TA this morning and programmed the handheld with all of the settings from the old tune and tried to fire it up.

I would get fuel but no spark. I put my inline spark tester in place to verify and no spark.

I checked the white wire feeding the fitech and it has power at all stages through cranking as does the coil. The distributor and coil were not touched in the swap of throttle bodies.

I have triple checked all connections and the fuses in the FITECH fuse block and al is good.

I'm assuming it is a missing input or a setting the handheld but am at a loss as where to look.

I have sent an email to FITECH as well but thought some fresh perspectives here might be able to help. It would be nice to get the TA running again as I'm really starting to like Corvettes and need to get back into the TA.

Once again have a great thanksgiving. Its nice and sunny in central Missouri today and I think we are gonna take a few of the cars and go for a drive in the country this afternoon.

Old 11-26-2023, 12:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Stock HEI? better check or just swap the module and see if it gets spark. Be sure the Fitech gets a good ground, just as important as power.

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't.
Bill Nye.
Old 11-27-2023, 09:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Check and see if the handheld is showing any RPM while trying to crank the engine.

62' Lemans, Nostalgia Super Stock, 541 CI, IA2 block, billet 4.5" crank, Ross, Wide port Edelbrocks, Gustram intake, 2 4150 style BLP carbs, 2.10 Turbo 400, 9" w/4:30 gears, 8.76 @153, 3100lbs
The Following User Says Thank You to Gary H For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2023, 11:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

Check the connection of the black wire from the main harness connector to the coil. It's a very small and delicate wire that is easy to de-pin if it's pulled on. This is the ground interrupt that fires the coil.

To verify nothing is amiss in the software, go to the handheld, connect to the ECU and go to Go-EFI Initial Setup, then to Ignition Setup and make sure Distributor is set to VR+ COIL. Then verify that the base timing in the handheld matches the base timing of the distributor as installed in the engine.

Old 12-02-2023, 11:07 PM
Senior Chief

It turned out to be something in the handheld. My son had not updated the handheld when we replaced his ecu. I updated the handheld as he had been using the handheld from my LeMans (which had been recently sold).

After updating the handheld, it fired right up and has been running great.

Old 12-03-2023, 07:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Good news to hear!

Happy holidays!

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!