Old 11-09-2023, 02:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 69-72 Steering Column question...

Has anyone come up with a fix for the upper collar where the ignition key assembly tab snaps into place keeping the key assembly properly located in the column?

There is a thin little tab of casting that is located 'inside' of the spring tab on the key assembly (holding the assembly from pushing in) that seems to break off. This prevents the key assembly housing from staying in place while pushing the key in to rotate to the Accessory position.

Seems I have many an old column around here with that issue, and the best I can see is to replace the entire upper collar assembly with one that isn't broken. Seems a shame not to be able to repair this issue, especially with Tilt columns as those are getting hard to find.

Hope my question makes sense...

'74 Bonneville 4dr Sedan (455/TH400/2.93 open)
'72 LeMans GT (455/M-13/3.23 [8.5"] posi)
'71 GTO Hardtop (400/TH400/3.07 12 bolt posi)
‘71 GTO Convertible (455HO/TH400/3.23 posi)
'67 GTO Coupe (455/ST-10/2.93 posi)
'67 Tempest Wagon (428/TH400/2.56 posi)

Deuteronomy 8:3
Old 12-17-2023, 12:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That thin piece, if I'm understanding correctly, is how one would depress the tab on lock cyl to remove it. I don't think it retains the cyl at all.

I have seen where people knock that in, becomes a 'flap', and prevents the retaining tab on cyl not extend all the way. In those cases, sometimes it's possible to wiggle the cyl and remove it without taking the thing apart.

Only other scenario I can think of which would prevent the cyl from being retained properly is if someone slide-hammered the cyl out, damaging the area.

The tilt collars are available, I think it's the non-tilt ones that are getting harder to find.

1970 GTO Judge Tribute Pro-Tour Project 535 IA2
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=760624
1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ght=procharger
Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zKAS...ature=youtu.be