Old 06-27-2008, 01:10 PM
Senior Chief

Send a message via AIM to Ponchofan Send a message via Yahoo to Ponchofan
Default Speedo cable replacement...

Hey guys, how's it going? Quick question, as I did a search and didn't come up with an exact answer. It looks like I have to replace the speedo cable in the GTO, as I've been driving it alot lately, and yesterday the speedometer just stopped working. I looked underneath and it looks like the cable made contact with the "H" pipe in the exhaust and burnt through the casing pretty good.
Anyway. Being that this is a factory 4-speed car, is there a difference in the cable I need for it? I read there could be differences between the length of the cable for auto and manual cars? Any other differences? It looks like mine exits the passenger side of the tailshaft, loops around underit and comes up the drivers side of the floor/tunel if that helps. Also, what kind of damage could have occured if the cable locked up because of the burn? I know the gear in the trans should beplastic, could/would it just strip out then? Will it need replacement, too?

Anyone have one for sale by chance?
Thanks
Abe

'72 Quazel Gold GTO, '70 Polar White GTO (RAIII), '77 SE, '78, '80 WS6 Turbo, Trans Ams, '72 Grand Prix SJ. All Gone...

Old 06-27-2008, 02:51 PM
Suspended

pontiac vendors or auto stores list various cables. Look there for a match. doubt anything else will need changing. can check if speedo moves using the broken cable. Trans end can be opened up and gear looked at.

Old 06-27-2008, 06:50 PM
Senior Chief

Thanks for the info and reply.
Yeah, I'm kinda figuring that if anything had to give, the plastic pieces in the trans would be it. I would think this would be the case, because as gears were trying to turn and register speed to the speedo, the cable being locked up at the burn area wouldn't let it, so eventually the plastic gears in the tailshaft would snap or strip.
One reproduction supplier offers a specific '71-'72 4-speed cable, both reproduction and aftermarket. I have to dig further.

'72 Quazel Gold GTO, '70 Polar White GTO (RAIII), '77 SE, '78, '80 WS6 Turbo, Trans Ams, '72 Grand Prix SJ. All Gone...

Old 06-28-2008, 02:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Be careful which parts house you get your cable from. The one I got from NAPA was about 1/8" in diameter too small to fit over the speedometer end and snap on. Talk about a complete pain in the rear to fight with it for 2 hours only to end up taking the damn thing back (to a mighty indignant NAPA guy I might add). I ended up using one from a parted out Buick Skylark. The tip at the speedo housing on the aftermarket is metal and not as thick as the plastic originals, so it will likely chatter more than an original.

Old 06-28-2008, 08:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I got a real nice replacement at O'Reilly's for less than 20 bucks IIRC. Same thing happened to mine. Replacement looked like what I pulled off. I remember thinking glad I checked there as they were much cheaper.

Old 06-28-2008, 01:53 PM
Senior Chief

Thanks guys.
PB can you give me a few more details about the replcement you bought at O'Reilly's? How long ago was that? And, I'm guessing the one you bought worked out fine? What's "IIRC" mean? lol Was your car a 4-speed, or an auto? Is there a difference between the stick and auto cables, besides length? Thanks.

Old 06-28-2008, 02:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponchofan View Post
Thanks guys.
PB can you give me a few more details about the replcement you bought at O'Reilly's? How long ago was that? And, I'm guessing the one you bought worked out fine? What's "IIRC" mean? lol Was your car a 4-speed, or an auto? Is there a difference between the stick and auto cables, besides length? Thanks.

Abe,
Sorry about that. Yes, my car is a 4 speed car. IIRC is "if I recall correctly" . I got mine two years ago. Mine melted on my exhaust. I put in a new engine block and didn't have the cable tied up out of the way. Don't think there is a difference b/n stick or auto, other than the length. I went in and told them what car and I think they had some choices, but I'd recommend removing your old one and taking it in and match them up. Then you should be able to compare cable sizes/lengths and connections. That's what I did and mine has worked flawlessly since the install. HTH (hope this helps)
Pat