Old 10-12-2014, 06:07 PM

Default Valve cover bolts.

Could some one please tell me what head markings are on the valve cover bolts on a 65 gto and are they black.

Old 10-12-2014, 10:06 PM
Senior Chief

Manufacturers with vary but here is a picture of my 1965 "born on" bolt with the letter E and has a divot in the middle. The bolt is black and if you are trying to get that factory concourse look it should/might have some blue engine overspray like mine does. Not all of my valve cover bolts have the overspray though.

Here is a link from 60sstuff showing off his original 66 bolts. His valve cover bolts are the same shape but has no divot and a different manufacturer letter: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...ighlight=bolts
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2591.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	378737  

Old 10-13-2014, 08:22 AM

Default Valve cover bolts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Option 382 View Post
Manufacturers with vary but here is a picture of my 1965 "born on" bolt with the letter E and has a divot in the middle. The bolt is black and if you are trying to get that factory concourse look it should/might have some blue engine overspray like mine does. Not all of my valve cover bolts have the overspray though.

Here is a link from 60sstuff showing off his original 66 bolts. His valve cover bolts are the same shape but has no divot and a different manufacturer letter: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...ighlight=bolts
Thanks again Option382 that's the bolt I thought it was ,wasn't sure.

Old 10-13-2014, 11:40 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I think I have seen the letter E,D and L on 65s. I wouldn't think this is a manufacturing mark since its just one letter. Could this letter represent the year?

Old 10-13-2014, 12:28 PM
Senior Chief

From my machinist books E stands for the Earnest Machine Products Company in Ohio.

D is the Dan Loc-LLC in Texas

L is currently a Taiwan bolt company.

Old 10-13-2014, 01:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default bolts

here is a good thread on nuts and bolts

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...ve+cover+bolts

Old 10-13-2014, 01:34 PM

Smile Valve cover bolts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6t5gto View Post
I think I have seen the letter E,D and L on 65s. I wouldn't think this is a manufacturing mark since its just one letter. Could this letter represent the year?
Thank you 6t5gto! The letter E with a dimple inside head is what they should be,got whacked at the nationals this year. Getting ready for Columbus next July,thank you for the info.

Old 10-16-2014, 12:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've attached pictures of various valve cover bolts. The ones on my '64 have the letter "D" on the head. I've also attached a picture of some OLD valve cover bolts that have the letter "L" on the head, and a flat-top one with the letter "E". I also have some that just have a dimple in the middle of the head. These certainly are not from Taiwan, as I've had them since the 1970's.

Bottom line, the markings on your car could be different from whatever the "norm" is. When my car was judged by GTOAA in 2013, no comments were made about the valve cover bolts and carb hold down nuts except that they should be black.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Firebird Engine, Valve cover bolts 018.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	379077   Click image for larger version

Name:	Firebird Engine, Valve cover bolts 013.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	379078   Click image for larger version

Name:	Firebird Engine, Valve cover bolts 012.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	379079  

'64 GTO Tripower Hardtop (Wife's Car)
'64 GTO Tripower Post Coupe (My Car)
'99 Bonneville SE Sedan
Old 10-16-2014, 03:02 PM

Smile Valve cover bolts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Boneske View Post
I've attached pictures of various valve cover bolts. The ones on my '64 have the letter "D" on the head. I've also attached a picture of some OLD valve cover bolts that have the letter "L" on the head, and a flat-top one with the letter "E". I also have some that just have a dimple in the middle of the head. These certainly are not from Taiwan, as I've had them since the 1970's.

Bottom line, the markings on your car could be different from whatever the "norm" is. When my car was judged by GTOAA in 2013, no comments were made about the valve cover bolts and carb hold down nuts except that they should be black.
Thanh
Thanks dick, Option 382 sent some pics of his original 65 and have the letter E with a dimple in the middle, and they are black. I found them at AMK fastners , they came out with a complete line of pontiac stuff.