THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 06-06-2022, 03:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default TV in the Golden Years

Recently my wife and I started watching every Bonanza episode.

We are halfway through season 2 and so far the total number of people killed by the Cartwrights appears to be 29.

But the Cartwrights haven't been without their own tragedies too ..

2 girlfriends killed or died

Ben has been shot once, stabbed once, beat up once.
Joe has been beat up 3 times and shot once
Adam has been shot twice (with guns) twice (with arrows) and one beating.
Hoss has even been beat up twice.

Never realized watching as a kid just what crazed killers these Cartwrights were Nor how apparently indestructible. And we've only watched 1.5 seasons!

And yes I found websites where they have tracked all these stats. Jeez, I might have to switch to Gilligans Island before I get PTSD.

Old 06-06-2022, 03:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Ben's wife died I think( in script at least, not sure why though as have never seen her as I recall) .

Old 06-06-2022, 04:59 AM
Senior Chief

Downunder we lived for the American TV shows as very little was produced locally
John L

Sent from my SM-X200 using Tapatalk

Old 06-06-2022, 06:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulabruce View Post
Ben's wife died I think( in script at least, not sure why though as have never seen her as I recall) .
Actually Ben had THREE wives that died as mentioned in the first season ... none of them ever seen, all happened "before" the timeline started.

Adam, Hoss and Joe all have different mothers. Never knew that till I just started watching them all over again.

Old 06-06-2022, 06:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZZIEVILLE 67 2 door View Post
Downunder we lived for the American TV shows as very little was produced locally
John L

Sent from my SM-X200 using Tapatalk
I spent part of my summer of 1969 in Bavaria, West Germany. American westerns were hugely popular shows. I remember how funny it was to hear the Bonanza cast badly dubbed over in German.

The Following User Says Thank You to 400 4spd. For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2022, 07:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My wife and I love the old westerns. We started watching them about 5 years ago and have gone through The Rifleman, Wanted Dead or Alive, The Life and Legend of Wyatt Earp, and our favorite, Laramie with Robert Fuller. I believe Robert Fuller is still with us and lives on a ranch somewhere out West. Recently discovered The Deputy with Henry Fonda. A bit different from the others but still a lot of folks getting shot and or beaten up. At least you knew who was good and who was bad. A simpler time.

69 Bird w/1970 400 block(409 cubes), #64 heads, hyd. roller, Q-jet by Jeff E., original interior, ps, pdb, th350, and 3.73 gears. Pump gas, street driven muscle. 3800 lbs. race weight. Best, 11.39 @118, my son's car.

79 T/A w/463, Scat crank, Eagle rods, Icon pistons, Lunati solid roller, 262/270, KRE 325 heads, Northwind intake, QF950 carb, full interior, ps, pdb, th350, and 3.73 gears. Pump gas, 3650 lbs. race weight. 10.68 @ 126 so far... no tuning yet.
The Following User Says Thank You to prostreet64 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2022, 07:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Like most Americans, we grew up with them, watched them all as a kid. Bonanza was the favorite, followed by Gunsmoke. I loved the Rifleman. I had a Rifleman carbine toy, and my brothers and myself had the Cartright 'action figures'. I had Ben. I have tried in recent years but just cannot get myself to relive that part of my youth. I dont care at all for westerns now.

The Following User Says Thank You to TAKerry For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2022, 09:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Great stats!

Bonanza was a family thing...TV trays came out for frozen artificial food product once a week.

Westerns and WWII series were addictive to me then. Why? I dunno, but I think it was the OMG factor for sure - like the "news" today. As a kid, I can guarantee the only place I saw giant knives cutting crosses into legs and arms so the rattlesnake venom could be sucked out was on TV. I was truly impressionable.

The Lone Ranger, the Rifleman, and many others had me hooked.

And Leave it to Beaver was like an extension to school...every day! I even named a car after Eddie Haskell... but I don't remember him getting shot!

The Following User Says Thank You to Shiny For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2022, 09:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Sunday night in our house was a competition between the parents and the five kids. Kids wanted to watch Disney, parents liked Ed Sullivan. Bonanza then followed Disney.
In our neck of the woods, Disney started a half hour before Sullivan so the kids won out most of the time.
Mom found a compromise; our next door neighbor was a widowed school teacher and had a color TV. She loved all us kids and gladly took us in every Sunday night so we could watch Disney in color.
Mom finally saved enough money to buy our own color TV in '69. Right before I left home.

As I grew older I started watching Sullivan due to all the Rock groups that he brought on TV. The publicity of being exposed to millions of Americans was priceless.

1968 GTO (Thanks Mom)
2006 Silverado
2007 Cadillac SRX
2015 Chevy Express

The Following User Says Thank You to OG68 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2022, 10:06 AM
Boost Engineer

I watched the Don Johnson: "Miami Vice" programs in the old days.
A couple of years ago they were playing again.
Stopped watching as the Drug Dealing (undercover cops) shows looked more and more like everyday reality in the USA, not just in Miami.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 06-06-2022, 12:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I (the wife also enjoyed them)watch original Perry Mason,Early Gunsmoke. I remember Bonanza in the fall showing the new cars from chevy esp the corvette.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sdbob For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2022, 12:02 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I'm absolutely addicted to CHiPs lately and old moves from 60-80. Mostly westerns/WWii/Sci-Fi.

I don't just want to watch them...I want to be there lol

Old 06-06-2022, 12:22 PM

My wife and I were in Germany 3 years. the funniest thing I saw on TV was Hogan's Hero's dubbed over in German. Even ( Leboa ? ) the French gourmet cook speaking German with a French accent.

The Following User Says Thank You to RFCOLEMAN For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2022, 12:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Pretty much the same here: Columbo, Monk, 3's Company, Hogan's Hero's, The Rifleman, etc. At least in all these and many others the people talk slow enough to understand and there's no political agenda being shoved down your throat.

Old 06-06-2022, 03:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
Recently my wife and I started watching every Bonanza episode.

We are halfway through season 2 and so far the total number of people killed by the Cartwrights appears to be 29.
I have occasionally wondered when watching Gunsmoke, how many men were "killed" by Marshall Dillon.

I think I have seen every episode, and my favorites were those when Burt Reynolds was the supporting star.

Dennis Weaver was a wonderful actor, but the "Chester" part left much to be desired for me..

Again, Ken Curtis is a great actor (has played in quite a few western movies) but the Festus role is just hard to swallow.

Zane Grey Theater and The Drifter were good while they lasted, but I must have been in a minority, as neither lasted long.

Jon

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
Old 06-06-2022, 03:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

JUST finished a 120 episode Korean Drama on Youtube called "You Are The Only One". Highly recommend.

Old 06-06-2022, 03:46 PM
Senior Chief

I was watching WKRP yesterday. I love that show.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jerry455 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2022, 07:30 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

In the late 60's, my uncle owned a local bar in small town Wisconsin. Of course, back then the Green Bay Packers were the elite of the football world. Dan Blocker (Hoss) decide to go and visit Max McGee's restaurant (the Left End) for dinner one night. Max was a starring player in Super Bowl I. Hoss then went across the street to my uncles bar. I can tell you that it was the talk of the town for a long time. Ahhhhhhhhhh... memories long ago, but I still have the Jukebox from that bar......... and guess what.... I restored it to go with my 68 cars!!!!! BONANZA!

OJ

68 GTO Clone (Tempest) Wagon
The Following User Says Thank You to gtobird For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2022, 08:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

We watch a lot of ME/TV, wish they would rotate the shows. On average the Rifleman shot and killed 2 1/2 people per show. Still that's a lot less the one night in Philly.

TOM
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to salem1912 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2022, 08:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I enjoy still watching the Andy Griffith show, (TVLAND) always a moral to the end of the story. When I was a kid it was a weekly show in the regular network lineup. I never missed an episode of it.

When I was living in Memphis there was a church that each Sunday they would have the kids in Sunday school watch a half hour of the show, then the teacher would discuss with the kids what they learned from that particular episode. I would think it worked out very well for the teacher being able to discuss doing the right thing pays off in the end.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated